Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

car seats for the middle seat in the back?

(24 Posts)
nailpolish Mon 14-Mar-05 15:47:25

hi

does anyone know if you get/where you get car seats that can go in the middle seat in the back, and if they are any good? is this the answer to having 3 kids?

rickman Mon 14-Mar-05 15:49:44

Message withdrawn

Janh Mon 14-Mar-05 15:50:20

Is it for a lapbelt, np?

Gobbledigook Mon 14-Mar-05 15:52:31

Nailpolish - in the back of my Mondeo I've got 2 Britax Eclipses next to each other (so one in the middle) and a Britax Rock-a-tot on the other side.

Once ds3 is out of the Rock-a-tot I'm confident I fit the 2 Eclipses and a Britax Kid booster seat in.

JanH has a good point though - that will make a difference.

nailpolish Mon 14-Mar-05 15:55:57

yes its lapbelt folks

although, we are buying a new car in the next few months, might look out for middle seats with full belt (actually never knew you got cars with full belt in the middle bit, can you tell ive only ever had old bangers! )

Cod Mon 14-Mar-05 15:57:04

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Mon 14-Mar-05 15:57:48

cod, thought you were about to give me a telling off there

debs26 Mon 14-Mar-05 16:00:04

we got one from halfords, sorry cant remember make. really worrying thing was that we asked for one for a lapbelt and the guy recommended one that was not suitable for lapbelts. even after dp pointed out the manufacturer said it wasnt suitable, he still insisted it was, so make sure you read the safety info with the seat.

nailpolish Mon 14-Mar-05 16:35:41

thats awful deb, halfords are supposed to be quite good too, good job you were on the ball.

did you get one in the end? which one was it?

nailpolish Mon 14-Mar-05 16:35:58

oh, just reread that you cant remember!

purpleturtle Mon 14-Mar-05 16:38:33

Not a lot of use, but a friend told me the other day that Britax do one you can use with a lapbelt - but I think that's a first stage one. Can't remember anything more useful than thay, sorry.

psychomum5 Mon 14-Mar-05 16:39:19

I have a britax freeway, and it goes with a lap belt well, altho I have to kneel in the seat to get a good fit.

purpleturtle Mon 14-Mar-05 16:43:04

I always have to kneel in the seat anyway.

debs26 Mon 14-Mar-05 16:46:33

britax rings a bell, is a nice seat. can recline or sit up and its easy to do from front of car. base looks really chunky but other kids fit in car with it fine, i think it just needs extra strength if it is only supported by lapbelt. it wasnt the most expensive we looked at, suspect that might be why guy in shop recomended other one - profits obviously more important than kids safety

yoyo Mon 14-Mar-05 16:51:52

We bought a Peugeot 307 SW which has a three-point seat belt for the middle seat. However, it comes down from the roof so can't be used with a car seat. Something to watch out for when you are looking at cars.

purpleturtle Mon 14-Mar-05 16:53:30

We had a Peugot 406 with a proper diagonal belt in the middle seat. They are out there.

Gobbledigook Mon 14-Mar-05 16:55:22

Yoyo, I've wondered about that because one of the belts in the Galaxy comes down from the ceiling and I wondered if you could use a car seat with that - thought not though.

Our Mondeo has a 3-point seatbelt in the middle. I think all the Fords do.

emmatmg Mon 14-Mar-05 17:01:37

We've got a Nissan primera and Ds3 goes in the middle with a lap belt.

His car seat is the one we had for Ds1 and then ds2, it's just a Mothercare one so hasn't got a fancy name.
It works well though but like Rickman says it's takes alot of effort to get it tight, DH wouldn't have a clue how to fit it either.

Cod Mon 14-Mar-05 17:04:25

Message withdrawn

Cod Mon 14-Mar-05 17:04:53

Message withdrawn

Cod Mon 14-Mar-05 17:05:22

Message withdrawn

sparklymieow Mon 14-Mar-05 17:13:40

we have the Britax freeway. I brought it for DH's car which has a lapbelt in the middle, but now his car is off the road I use it in my car, which has a 3 point belt.

nailpolish Mon 14-Mar-05 17:37:12

loads of posts girls, thanks v much, will look at britax freeway.

cheers,

what would i do without mn?

PiccadillyCircus Mon 14-Mar-05 17:40:21

My small contribution is that the britax website here has a fit finder where you tell it what car you have and they will tell you which seats fit in which positions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: