Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

something is up with the washing machine

(11 Posts)
nikcola Sat 12-Mar-05 16:04:48

why is it that things break down 2 weeks after the guarrantee has run out bloody thing

every time it spins it makes a really loud and i mean loud is a lound banging sound

any ideas whats wrong woth it

nikcola Sat 12-Mar-05 16:08:37

help i hate laundrettes

lockets Sat 12-Mar-05 16:09:14

Message withdrawn

nikcola Sat 12-Mar-05 16:10:53

it sounds like there is something lose inside of it like a spanner (dp is a mechanic) but ive checked ived done a wash today but had to turn it off cause it sounded like it was gonna blow up lol!

LIZS Sat 12-Mar-05 16:14:22

Could you have moved it a bit and it is no longer level ? Ours makes a racket when it is overloaded, such as with wet towels.

nikcola Sat 12-Mar-05 16:16:04

it cant be moved its stuck there iynwim , how much do washing machine men charge dp thinks he can fix it ffs its not a car !

nightowl Sat 12-Mar-05 18:44:51

i broke my dryer with a pair of lacy knickers once..sorry no help just thought it might cheer you up?

nikcola Sat 12-Mar-05 19:13:04

nightowl Sat 12-Mar-05 19:16:09

the repair man said he had never come across that particular problem before..surely not?

efmach Sat 12-Mar-05 19:49:30

It sounds like the bracket that keeps the drum in place might be broken. We had this problem. The repair man could see that the bracket in one place had seared off. It was considered to be a design fault (not a wear & tear problem) so the washing machine company had to replace the drum free of charge.

hub2dee Sun 13-Mar-05 09:08:08

I saw this problem at my folks' place years ago.

There's an unbelievably large chunk of concrete in most machines which helps steady the machine so the drum can spin at high speeds without walking down the corridor. It is supported by springs / brackets. When it drops off from metal fatigure / vibration / bad luck, the machine can make a fantastically shockingly loud clunk clunk just as if you were washing a toolbox !

Any repair man would have heard of this.

Washing machines are surprisingly basic and I would expect if you / dp is careful opening it and poking around he'll be able to at least see what the problem is and then decide how to handle it from there. It might be as simple as rehooking a spring with a pair of pliers.

(Switch off mains / isolate from water, do it at your own risk yadda yadda).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now