anniemac Mon 03-Nov-08 10:05:11

Message withdrawn

popsycal Mon 03-Nov-08 10:06:18

ds2 is nearly 4 and is getting a 14 inch bmx style one with stabilisers

argos
asda online

measure her inside leg

LadyLaGore Mon 03-Nov-08 10:07:50

have you thought about a 'run bike' ? (bike with no pedals) its a good first bike for teaching balance and gives them speed etc . mine all started with run bike and progressed to pedals really easily without the need for stabilisers.
puky do one. but the first one we got was from ebay, sent over from germany i think.
there are lots of wooden ones about too, but i worried about how long theyd last if they were left lying around the garden in all weathers.

anniemac Mon 03-Nov-08 10:08:58

Message withdrawn

littlefrog Mon 03-Nov-08 10:09:43

Mmm. we will be doing this in a while, so no personal experience. but friends who have say that if you get something cheap then the brakes are too tough for little hands, and the cranks are too long for little legs, and basically the whole experience is often so unpleasant and such hard work that child is put off riding.
The make folk recommend is Puky - but I think it is EXPENSIVE, maybe you could find a second-hand one?

On sizing, I'd go into a shop and ask them what measurements they'll need.

littlefrog Mon 03-Nov-08 10:10:36

oh, on the push bike vs real bike thing, some kinds have pedals that take off, so they convert to 'real' ones after the child has got the balance thing going.

LadyLaGore Mon 03-Nov-08 10:14:43

ah, good idea.

measure how tall she is and pop into a proper bike shop at some point. i bet they'll have lots of info and recommendations for you, they seem to be pretty knowledgeable ime.

anniemac Mon 03-Nov-08 10:14:44

Message withdrawn

LadyLaGore Mon 03-Nov-08 10:26:06

yeah, id guess that raleigh would be good [clueless really!] smile

anniemac Mon 03-Nov-08 10:29:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now