Talk

Advanced search

Hama Bead Thingys

(19 Posts)
WestCountryLass Thu 10-Mar-05 22:33:11

Thoughts on these craft kits?

My neice will be 4 and I am thinking of getting her one of these sets, amongst other things as she likes making stuff.

misdee Thu 10-Mar-05 22:35:04

very fiddly for a 4yr old i'd have thought. does she like making jewellery? dd1 has some bead kits from ELc and makes necklaces and bracelets with them.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 10-Mar-05 22:36:00

millions of bl**dy beads everywhere.

Great for kids though. Mine, incl DS1, love them. They sit for hours doing them.

milliways Thu 10-Mar-05 22:36:59

Mine have had them for years & still like them (aged 9 & 14). You need a good selection of colours and we spent a day sorting them into individual (food) bags. Bought a book of ideas & they were off. Did start with a boxed set, but they prefer the larger boards to make their own things now. All the relatives have drinks mats, we have christmas tree decs, window decs etc. They also spend ages making a pattern & then tip it off to start again to save the beads!
Highly recommended.

KatieMac Thu 10-Mar-05 22:38:51

My DD (7) loves them and has done since about 4.5, but it is quite fiddly
A mindee (5) can't do them yet

WestCountryLass Thu 10-Mar-05 22:43:02

I was wondering about that, she does like little fiddly things though, very dextrous (if that is a word)! Hmmmm.... I might get her one set and her Mum can put it away for her if it is too hard as she will probably get loads of other stuff she can play with now (do you think?).

WestCountryLass Thu 10-Mar-05 22:43:05

I was wondering about that, she does like little fiddly things though, very dextrous (if that is a word)! Hmmmm.... I might get her one set and her Mum can put it away for her if it is too hard as she will probably get loads of other stuff she can play with now (do you think?).

WestCountryLass Thu 10-Mar-05 22:43:56

Misdee, I was going to get her the bead jewellry set from ELC as well

champs Thu 10-Mar-05 22:53:16

i think you can get the hama beads in a bigger size for younger kids. saw it in little cataloguey thing that came in pack.

tamum Thu 10-Mar-05 22:55:22

OK, this will just sound like showing off but my dd was really into these by the time she was 3- very dextrous like your niece. I would definitely give them a go

WestCountryLass Thu 10-Mar-05 22:55:23

Cool, thanks!

zebraZ Thu 30-Jun-05 07:44:08

Are there any "boy" Hama patterns/pegboards out there?

My 5yo son likes Hama, too, but would like to do "boy" patterns, like cars and trains. I can only find girly things like hearts and kittens!!

DD & one of her best mates were both very into Hama by the age of 2.5yo, btw.

Thistles Thu 30-Jun-05 09:06:30

I haven't come across any boxed "boy" sets or pegboards in the shape of cars etc but I bought a booklet with ideas for about £2 and there are loads of "boy projects", like cars, helicopters, rockets and fire engines. These shapes require mainly the square or large square pegboards and you could buy individual bags of beads in the colours you want.

IlanaK Thu 30-Jun-05 09:52:34

There are a range of sizes of beads available for differnet ages. The best place to buy them from, with lots of tips and ideas is: www.beadmerrily.com I can't recomend it highly enough!

dizzydo Thu 30-Jun-05 12:27:13

There are a couple of threads on Hama beads on the crafts section of Mumsnet. Well worth reading for tips on how to successful "iron" the little buggers once your DC has completed them (very tricky)and many a tear shed in our house.

tassis Thu 30-Jun-05 22:13:30

you can get lion and giraffe ones

bigdonna Thu 30-Jun-05 22:35:25

i seen dinosaur ones in the entertainer yesterday.Also my son has lions,elephants,monkeys.

zebraZ Fri 01-Jul-05 20:58:58

Thanks for the tips, the most boyish pattern we have right now is a snake. DS did it enthusiastically & dilligently the other day.

ionaming Mon 04-Jul-05 21:42:27

My dd was using these from age 2.5, although rarely completing them! I get her to play with them on a dinner tray (one with sides) so that the pesky things don't end up all over the floor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now