Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Electric Blanket for kids yes or NO

(30 Posts)
MyPumpkinDsHappyHalloweenBday Thu 30-Oct-08 17:43:31

Obviuosly safety is the most important, anybody use one.

twoluvlykids Thu 30-Oct-08 17:45:55

no, my dc always been hot in bed & kicks everything off, my dd cold, so i layer her bed with fleece throws and woolly blankets.

MyPumpkinDsHappyHalloweenBday Thu 30-Oct-08 17:53:32

ds 3 bedroom cold, even cavity walls been done, have fleecy underblanket,flanelette sheets, warm pjs it just freezing (corner room) even put cot matteress against wall so he cannot touch the wall. he wakes earlier in the winter due to the cold.

just an idea, would be worried about wetting bed though.

AnarchyAunt Thu 30-Oct-08 17:56:54

Hot water bottle?

You can refill just before you go to bed to keep him warm all night - I do this with DD.

twoluvlykids Thu 30-Oct-08 17:57:31

as long as you get a good one - i think you can even put them in the washing machine now?

how about electric overblanket rather than underblanket.

i'd still be worried, but not experienced that much cold with mine.

when i was a kid, we used to sometimes put hats & coats on to go to bed.

clumsymum Thu 30-Oct-08 18:01:32

No, not while there is any risk of bedwetting.

Anyway, much healthier I'd think to address the problem of the general air temperature in that room.

In your shoes I'd think about a panel heater which could be left on low overnight.

Buda Thu 30-Oct-08 18:04:39

We all had them as children but they were put on before bed and switched off as we got in. Nice toasty warm bed.

Actually thinking about it I was prob in my teens but my younger sisters had them. Had hot water bottles before.

I had the coldest room in the house - used to have to wrap myself up my dressing gown and wear gloves to read!

MyPumpkinDsHappyHalloweenBday Thu 30-Oct-08 18:37:50

thanks everyone,

We also have an oil heater and can put that on timmer, but it clicks on/off and wakes him up. Fussy little man.

Will probally try that, although not healthy really. will have to put damp towel over it.

MatNanPlus Thu 30-Oct-08 18:40:34

I have a machine washable underblanket and it is designed to be on all night.

Tortington Thu 30-Oct-08 18:42:07

no i wouldnt
hot water bottles, and layers.

unfitmother Thu 30-Oct-08 18:44:37

Have you had your windows checked?

expatinscotland Thu 30-Oct-08 18:48:03

i'm not too crazy about kids sharing a bed with a rubber bottle of boiling hot water hmm.

but mine have those wheat bags you pop in the microwave and they stay pretty hot for a while.

you can also sprinkle them with lavender oil.

mine have flannel sheets and duvet covers and high tog duvets, plus fleecy jimjams and wool bedsocks.

they share a room, too.

expatinscotland Thu 30-Oct-08 18:48:04

i'm not too crazy about kids sharing a bed with a rubber bottle of boiling hot water hmm.

but mine have those wheat bags you pop in the microwave and they stay pretty hot for a while.

you can also sprinkle them with lavender oil.

mine have flannel sheets and duvet covers and high tog duvets, plus fleecy jimjams and wool bedsocks.

they share a room, too.

lou031205 Thu 30-Oct-08 19:00:03

oil filled radiator on timer.

TheMadHouse Thu 30-Oct-08 19:10:22

We have just bought one for DS1 aged 3.7. He does not wet the bed and we made sure that we got a top of the range one and we also put it under his waterproof towelling sheet.

We had no alternative as have been left with no heating.

It has an auto shut off and also has a 75 min setting and also a 12 hour one.

We tried a hot water bottle/wheat pillow thing, but it wasnt keeping him warm enough, plus he is a wiggler and often the covers come off, this way he is at least getting some heat.

His room is the coldest as it is above the garage, not an issue when we have heating. Roll on next week.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 30-Oct-08 19:18:30

NO NO NO NO NO
NO NO NO NO NO

REPEAT 10,000 TIMES

NO.

EMFs and young children????

Madness.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 30-Oct-08 19:19:52

A very good friend of mine (now deceased) was convinced her daily usage of one is what gave her cancer which she died from.

Housemum Thu 30-Oct-08 19:33:53

Not sure about electric blankets in general - and confirmed byt he fact that my friend's one caught fire the other night (luckily she went to put some wahing away whilst it was heating the bed - it was only a few years old)

MyPumpkinDsHappyHalloweenBday Thu 30-Oct-08 20:19:22

how sad, will use heater,
expat can you remember where you got the water bottles from. sound better than other ones.

forevercleaningwithmybesoms Thu 30-Oct-08 20:21:54

wheat bags in microwave would be the safest bet i think.

Had one down my front this morning and looked like jordan! Ooh but i was warm as toast!

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 30-Oct-08 20:23:27

Play.com do the microwave animals and water bottles - fab for kids and safe.

You could buy a cheap duvet and put it under the sheet - and then layer the top - keeps the heat in well.

slackrunner Thu 30-Oct-08 20:24:40

Well, I've just bought dd one. It'll be on for 10 mins before she gets into bed - I really can't see the harm in that personally. She can't wet the bed as she's in nappies, and this blanket is machine washable anyway.

expatinscotland Thu 30-Oct-08 20:25:10

DH bought DD2's bag from Ebay.

MIL bought a bear one for DD1, but I'm not sure where.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 30-Oct-08 20:25:22

ELECTO MAGNETIC CURRENTS

Young Children

CANCER

slackrunner Thu 30-Oct-08 20:27:13

How are the electric magnetic currents going to affect someone if the blanket is not switched on when they are lying on it? I am confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now