Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh wise Mnetters...find me a laptop please!

(19 Posts)
PussinJimmyWhoooos Wed 29-Oct-08 19:33:32

Sick of having to go upstairs to mnet...would rather mnet while DS is watching cbeebies otherwise engaged in stimulating toys and toddler play

So...doesn't need to be fancy - just fast! Will get a wireless router to connect to our broadband

So...help! smile

Oh and budget- pref not more than £350 or £400 at a push....

Habbibu Wed 29-Oct-08 20:38:00

Acer Aspire One - bargain at £179 - came third in the Which best buys after 2 which cost around £700. Here's the review:

The Acer Aspire One mini laptop strikes a good balance between cost and performance, and is a good all-rounder.

Despite only having a modest 512MB of Ram, it runs quickly and smoothly, thanks to the Linux operating system that is installed. And it's easy to use, too - don't worry if you're only used to Windows, since the interface is friendly and intuitive.

The Acer Aspire One is one of the first PCs to use Intel's Atom processor, which has been specially designed for use in portable devices such as laptops where battery life is important. We found the battery life acceptable, but not on a par with the best performers.

The keyboard is comfortable to use, and the screen is bright and clear. It is impressively light - weighing less than 1kg - making it extremely comfortable to carry around.

Like most mini-laptops, the built-in speakers aren't great quality - stick in some good headphones if you're planning on using it to listen to music.

The model we tested had 8GB of solid-state storage. This may be more robust than a conventional hard drive, but it offers a lot less space. If you think you'll need more, then you can opt for a 120GB solid-state drive. You can upgrade to 1GB of Ram and the Windows operating system if you want something more familiar.

Pros: Lightweight, easy to use

Cons: Small storage capacity

Mini laptops are put through a different series of tests to full-sized laptops so the results are not directly comparable

sazm Wed 29-Oct-08 23:38:58

tesco has a good acer one on offer just now
here

BoffinMum Wed 29-Oct-08 23:56:14

John Lewis, Toshiba, entry level model at £379 with 2 year guarantee. Very plug and play. Great level of toys including built in mic and webcam to allow easy Skyping etc. We've been very impressed with ours.

Qally Thu 30-Oct-08 02:55:16

Dell. Dual Core as a minimum (AMD are no longer a better option than Intel) the great thing when ordering from them is you can opt out of the bells and whistles, keeping the cost down.

Make sure your home insurance covers cracked laptop screens. Not that I'm bitter or anything...

PussinJimmyWhoooos Thu 30-Oct-08 11:43:48

lol at the bitter comment! Thanks for the replies..I had an Acer years ago at Uni and man - it really withstood a lot so perhaps its worth going for that? I don't want it for photo storage, for listening to music (am deaf) merely to mnet or fbook downstairs -at present I have to wait until DS has gone for his nap before I go on the computer and this isn't always ideal if I have to send an e-mail or something....

I'm just justifying it really aren't I?!! wink

PussinJimmyWhoooos Thu 30-Oct-08 19:57:11

Another bump for any more suggestions

Oh and best anti virus too....I don't want much do I wink

sazm Thu 30-Oct-08 23:35:46

hmm,if you dont want it for anything other than browsing maybe one of the mini laptops would suit you?
i had an acer laptop and mine too withstood a lot lol,thats the maake im going to go for when i buy a new one.

littlelapin Thu 30-Oct-08 23:40:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovemydog Thu 30-Oct-08 23:41:58

You need an Apple Mac. very stylish and fairly idiot proof smile

fatdullgreyingretiredgoth Thu 30-Oct-08 23:48:11

...I was going to resist bragging, LL.

But I have one too! Arrived this very day and is currently loading with all my 'stuff' that I have backed up....

...er, it is a bit of a budget buster for the OP though.

I bought an iBook G3 that surfs and mails and stuff for £125 recently (as a stopgap, now en-route to my sister in exchange for urchin care duties) there are any number of these on eBay.

...it is better to buy second hand quality than cheap new stuff. I bought a Fujitsu cheapy for the Geeky urchin last year. Despite having a decent spec (at first glance) it fell apart almost instantly...

littlelapin Thu 30-Oct-08 23:48:42

littlelapin Thu 30-Oct-08 23:51:03

ilovemydog Thu 30-Oct-08 23:52:37

Absolutely not! I didn't see your link nor your post...

Respect... smile

I want Leopard for Christmas...

littlelapin Thu 30-Oct-08 23:54:58

paddingtonbear1 Fri 31-Oct-08 00:01:28

my dad has a toshiba, he is v pleased with it. I have a hp but it was on special offer, would have got a toshiba otherwise!
we have Virgin broadband if you have this, use their anti virus. Don't use Norton - my laptop came with it and it's a nightmare! Took ages to deinstall, messed up my internet trying to constantly update! (still tries but I blocked it).

ilovemydog Fri 31-Oct-08 09:31:05

Littlelapin - have got 1.2 gb ram? I think?

But have got an ancient OS X - think it's 10.3 sad. I sooo want a new power book. I may even need one hmm

What are the best features of yours?

RustyBear Fri 31-Oct-08 09:49:27

Thing I've found with Acers is that they are either totally reliable or they are an endless source of trouble. We have about 25 at school, which I look after - several (tempting fate here) have never given the slightest problem, but about five have had recurring problems with the bios & the latest batch of four all have problems with switching off unexpectedly, which may be an overheating problem.
We've switched to Toshiba now & are happy with them so far....

zippitippitoes Fri 31-Oct-08 09:53:05

i have a dell laptop as well as dell pc and i am very happy with them have had the laptop two or three years it is a latitude d620

if yopu buy thru dell outlet..outlet is different from the main section of the site.... you get really goo d deals and immediate delivery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now