Talk

Advanced search

Coloured Wristbands

(26 Posts)
crystaltips Wed 09-Mar-05 19:33:27

Where do you get these coloured wristbands that are all the rage?
The Livestrong one is yellow - I know that - but what do all the other colours stand for?
How much are they ?
Thanks

Mum2Ela Wed 09-Mar-05 19:45:19

The blue one is for bullying, my sister has one, but I have no idea where to get them from.

What is Livestrong?

Whizzz Wed 09-Mar-05 19:47:45

There was one on here for CF last night & a link
I'll try & find it

jampots Wed 09-Mar-05 19:49:30

purple ones are for CF - sleepyjess did the link

There's ones for poverty, racism, bullying, and other good causes too

Whizzz Wed 09-Mar-05 19:51:28

link here for CF

Mum2Ela Wed 09-Mar-05 20:01:34

Am going to get a CF one as my cousin has CF.

champs Thu 10-Mar-05 23:11:21

black and white ones are anti racism.

alux Thu 10-Mar-05 23:22:14

not sure who is supplying them but the chaplain at school is selling them for charity and they go like hotcakes. It was an 'aaawww' moment to see a teenage boy with one pink, one yellow, one white, one baby blue up his arm.

stupidgirl Thu 10-Mar-05 23:23:57

white are anti-poverty, pink for breast cancer, blue for peace (might be american those ones).

Cristina7 Thu 10-Mar-05 23:27:30

They are shown in April's issue of Marie Claire and the www address is also provided. Sorry I still don't know how to do links (I tried a couple of times).

Janh Thu 10-Mar-05 23:38:11

I just got this from manchesteronline:

What wristband colours mean and the causes they support:

Yellow: Lance Armstrong or supporting US troops;
Blue: Anti-bullying, anti-Bush vote, tsunami relief, prostate cancer;
Pink: Breast cancer;
Red: Heart-disease, vote Bush, anti-tobacco, HIV;
Purple: Cystic fibrosis, lupus (also orange), domestic violence;
White: Jesus Loves Me, right to life;
Orange: Asperger's, self-harm;
Grey: Diabetes, brain cancer;
Black & white: Racism in football;
Green: Ecology, leukaemia, organ donor;
Gold: Childhood cancer;
and Black: Mourning, melanoma.

Not an exclusive list.

Generally they cost around £1 each but some are hard to find and many cost more than that just for p&p.

You can find lots on ebay but be aware that a) the money you pay probably won't go to the charity and b) they will clobber you for p&p even worse than the charities do - eg £3.95 (for a tiny light plastic band ). And the money goes in the vendor's pocket.

stupidgirl Thu 10-Mar-05 23:49:18

Eeek Jan, heart-disease, anti-tobacco, HIV, all worthy causes, but would you risk being mistaken for a Bush supporter???

Janh Thu 10-Mar-05 23:57:55

noooooooo, sg!

(Prob get away with it over here though, phew!)

purpleturtle Fri 11-Mar-05 07:49:22

You can get the white Make Poverty History ones from Oxfam shops for £1

lou33 Fri 11-Mar-05 11:34:03

do they have one for cerebral palsy?

Janh Fri 11-Mar-05 12:09:00

Not that I know of, lou - this appears to be the original source of the list I copied before (scroll up) and there's no mention of CP on the page but it would be great if Scope would do one, do you have any contacts there?

Here is DS2 with his current armful! (Haven't got purple CF one yet)

NomDePlume Fri 11-Mar-05 12:18:27

DS1 has a dark blue tsunami band, but it snapped . He got his from a newsagent. The only places they were being sold in my city was in high schools & in this one newsagent

nutcracker Fri 11-Mar-05 12:19:34

They have loads in my local Entertainer toy shop.

NomDePlume Fri 11-Mar-05 12:20:57

they didn't have them in my local branch of Entertainer

Gobbledigook Fri 11-Mar-05 12:21:26

Oh my brother has the yellow Livestrong one for Lance Armstrong - didnt' know it was supporting Bush's troops as well - do they have Livestrong on though - can you tell them apart?

A friend tried to get teh blue one for bullying for her 10 yr old and queued for an hour in JJB and even then they would only sell one to each person!

Janh Fri 11-Mar-05 12:23:28

DS2's plain white one in the pic says tsunami on it - he got it from someone at school - no idea where that originated, the list says it should be blue.

Aha - NDP, you can buy a single youth's one here ; $6.95 inc p&p and the money does go to tsunami relief.

KateandtheGirls Fri 11-Mar-05 12:23:57

I wouldn't worry GDG. As far as I know the yellow ones are all Live Strong ones. I have seen troop support ones here, but they are either camouflage coloured, or red, white and blue.

Janh Fri 11-Mar-05 12:24:33

GDG, the blue bullying one was free from the BBC.

Gobbledigook Fri 11-Mar-05 12:26:17

OH, I don't know which one she was buying then JanH - maybe it was the black and white ones against racism in football.

Thanks KATG - phew!

lou33 Fri 11-Mar-05 14:20:35

thanks jan, i do know someone actually so i might email them. More campaigning !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now