loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bike seat - any around that are suitable from birth

(10 Posts)
Pagan Wed 09-Mar-05 14:50:41

Or are they all for older babies?

piffle Wed 09-Mar-05 14:52:23

older babies they have to able to sit up, it is very very bumpy for a baby although I have biked with a baby bjorn carrier on before.
I could be corrected but we searched hi and lo when dd was an infant as a bike was my fave method of transport

Hayls Wed 09-Mar-05 14:55:47

I've been looking as well but not sure what is the safest kind. My dd is 13 mo but I'm paranoid about her climbing out. Are there any guidelines about minimum ages? (sorry to hijack Piffle

julen Wed 09-Mar-05 14:59:33

I remember seeing a baby-carseat on the back of a bike once - I think it had some sort of shockbreaking spring. Not sure whether it was homemade or not though. Sorry, not very much help, but atleast I can testify to its existence..

Pagan Wed 09-Mar-05 15:01:38

I had my DD in a co-pilot limo from about 7 months and she was fine. Now that spring is round the corner I can't wait to get on my bike again and go for family cycles. DD still suitable for the co-pilot limo but come April/May DS will only be 4 months old so a bit problematic. You'd think there would be one invented somewhere or those lovely people at Britax, Maclaren would invent a car seat that fits onto a bike or something similar that has a roll cage type of thing to protect the baby completely.

poppyseed Wed 09-Mar-05 15:03:23

Have a look at the Rhode gear Limo seats - they are reclinable and are top banana - but a little pricey
We had one with DD and are looking forward to using it with DS this summer - he'll be 2 though.

julen Wed 09-Mar-05 15:04:58

Hayls, I have a Hamax on the back for dd (2 1/2) and a Bobike on the handle bars for ds (10 months). I like the Hamax 'cos its one of those moulded ones that fits all around them, but like the Bobike one as I can hold an eye on ds easier.
Both seats have three point harnesses - no chance of them climbing out.

Nome Wed 09-Mar-05 15:23:00

We have one of these (the Babysitter model) and I am thinking of getting the rearward facing seat for the new baby when it arrives. We also have a trailer and I can get ds and a baby in a car seat into it, so may stick with that until new baby is old enough for a normal bike seat.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 09-Mar-05 15:30:01

I have a Rhode Gear limo on the back for DS2 (nearly 6 months) and a Centric Safe Haven on the front for DS1 (3 1/2). I prefer the Centric Safe Haven. It has a five-point harness, and it's really nice to be able to see your kid. It's also cheaper than the Rhode Gear, but harder to transfer from bike to bike. It's only good from 12 months. It's a bit more solid-looking than the Bobike.

I know these are both safe, anyway, as I've had a small crash with them on, the bike went down sideways, but neither child was hurt. (Obviously everyone was wearing helmets.)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 09-Mar-05 15:31:53

Oh, Centric Safe Haven is apparently now a "WeeRide". It's even set up so the child can sleep reasonably comfortably in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now