Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a skipping rope for a boy?

(16 Posts)
Bubbaloo Fri 24-Oct-08 19:14:49

I've never really thought about it being more of a girls toy and saw a lovely frog skipping rope today which I bought ds1 as a stocking filler.Infact it was so nice(and very reasonable)that I bought another one to put away for one of his male friends.
When I menetioned it to someone earlier she thought it was an odd thing to buy a boy,so it's now got me wondering the sameblush.

southeastalien Fri 24-Oct-08 19:16:04

they might use it to tie each other up rather than skip with it grin

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Fri 24-Oct-08 19:16:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justaboutoccasionallyswears Fri 24-Oct-08 19:16:18

MadamDeathstare Fri 24-Oct-08 19:16:21

dustystar Fri 24-Oct-08 19:17:10

DS (8) has had 2 or 3 in the last few years and loves them. He's crap at skipping though lol.

WigWamBam Fri 24-Oct-08 19:17:35

Loads of the boys at the school I work for like skipping ... I have the aching arms to prove it!!

DoubleBluff Fri 24-Oct-08 19:18:08

Mine have one and they play all sorts withit.
Thier favourite is tying their go karts together and playing breakdowns.

cocoleBOO Fri 24-Oct-08 19:18:17

When my DDs and their friends got out the skipping ropes in the Summer, my neighbour had to sacrifice her washing line so all the boys could skip too grin

Buda Fri 24-Oct-08 19:18:32

I have just bought DS one as he needs to skip as part of his OT - has fine motor skills issues and is having OT sessions at school. It is not easy to find a non-girly skipping rope! Finally got one in a sports shop. It is good exercise and good for right/left co-ordination.

But is is surprising that skipping is seen as such a girly thing.

Gobbledigook Fri 24-Oct-08 19:18:37

yes!

sagacious Fri 24-Oct-08 19:19:37

They do skipping at school (ds is 6) and he's rubbish at it so he'll be getting a rope as a stocking filler

Not sure he'd appreciate a frog one (however cute!)

PrettyCandles Fri 24-Oct-08 19:20:35

Absolutely I would - I have!

According to ds1 (Y3), when they get the skipping ropes out at school there are generally as many boys skipping as there are girls.

AbbaFan Fri 24-Oct-08 19:32:15

YES!

My DS (8) has just started to get into this. We were outside today practising.

He is loving it.

Bubbaloo Fri 24-Oct-08 20:00:34

Thanksgrin.

That's definately reassured me that skipping isn't just something girls do.
He'll probably still be a bit young to try skipping but I'm sure he'll soon have alot of fun when he's a little older.

jimbotri Sat 25-Oct-08 10:18:36

Yes , My son is after a skipping rope aswell. Great exercise . I just think of Rocky. Skipping does not have to be girly. As long as I can get a rope that is not pinkwink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: