Talk

Advanced search

Avon version of Lumie lamp - anyone tried one yet?

(5 Posts)
Housemum Mon 20-Oct-08 20:17:43

I fancy the idea of one of those Lumie lamps that wake you gradually by simulating daylight but they are expensive. Avon have got one for £12 when you spend £6 on spa items - has anyone seen one of these yet and are they any good? Also, has anyone got a genuine Lumie and is it worth it?

Thanks!

Housemum Thu 23-Oct-08 12:06:17

hopeful bump as Avon lady comes for order tomorrow

RubberDuck Thu 23-Oct-08 12:15:54

Tbh, I'd be highly doubtful a £12 one would do the same job. For a start, the proper full-spectrum bulbs that you need are more than £12 to replace!

If you don't have any kind of SAD and just want something pretty then they'll probably be fine. Just don't expect them to be able to do what the £70 lumie ones do

Housemum Thu 23-Oct-08 17:06:46

Thought that might be the case - didn't know the Lumie's had full-spectrum bulbs. Phew, can save my money for a proper one - i don't have SAD I'm just blardy lazy and hate getting out of bed on dark mornings.

RubberDuck Thu 23-Oct-08 17:25:30

Well not completely full spectrum - they block UV and harmful wavelengths. But the idea is that they're a proper daylight bulb.

Your eyes particularly need the blue part of the daylight spectrum to reset the body clock (the bit that goes askew for SAD sufferers in the winter) - and as I understand it, a normal bulb doesn't have (any? enough?) of that particular part of the spectrum.

It's a pain, but this is one case where you really do get what you pay for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now