Talk

Advanced search

Parent steerable trike for 18 month old?

(17 Posts)
Plonker Sun 19-Oct-08 23:52:37

I want to get a trike for dd for Christmas.

It must be steerable and have rubber/air tyres.

I did look at this one but it gets mixed reviews and one site suggests that it is unsafe shock

Any recommendations?

gigglewitch Sun 19-Oct-08 23:56:07

we got Toys R us one - will hunt a link out for you wink
It has been great!!

gigglewitch Sun 19-Oct-08 23:58:36

this is it! still £35 too grin

extending parent handle, 3 heights, or remove if needed to transport etc.

Plonker Mon 20-Oct-08 00:01:30

Can you steer that one giggle?

I had one of those for dd1 (many moons ago now grin) and you couldn't steer it, i spent more time lifting it onto its back wheels because it drove me mad! Also, it was incredibly noisy - maybe its been modified? <hopeful>

nappyaddict Mon 20-Oct-08 00:03:16

you need one with a lockable front wheel. else lo will be trying to steer it with the handlebars and it will be a nightmare for you to push.

gigglewitch Mon 20-Oct-08 00:04:08

umm, no
blush i thought you meant steer-able by the child
like nobody in their right mind would want that, durrr

And yes DD learned to steer very very young, as she hated being tipped backwards on to the two back wheels grin

Plonker Mon 20-Oct-08 00:07:55

lol grin

Unfortunately my dd1 didn't learn so quickly and the trike almost met an unfortunate end on several occasions grin

Plonker Mon 20-Oct-08 00:09:51

Yes, possibly a lockable front wheel would do NA, but i would prefer to be able to steer the trike via the parent handle really ...

gigglewitch Mon 20-Oct-08 00:25:31

found this but haven't tried it

nappyaddict Mon 20-Oct-08 00:43:45

what i mean is even if it has a steerable parent handle if the child's handlebar or front wheel doesn't lock you're still going to get them steering against you iyswim.

Plonker Mon 20-Oct-08 21:30:06

Thanks giggle - i think i'll take a trip up to toys r us to try a few out smile

Yes, i see what you mean NA. They can be a PITA to steer at the best of times! Do you have any recommendations?

nappyaddict Mon 20-Oct-08 23:23:12

puky and ketler are good. we got a puky one off ebay.

SweetApril Tue 21-Oct-08 10:29:16

We have the Berchet one. Bit pricey but seems pretty sturdy. DD loves it - talks about it all the time! I think you can fix it so the child can't steer using the handlebars while you're trying to push but I'm not sure - I'm a bit of a one for being so excited by new toys that I forget to read about all the clever technical things. Oh, think it has plastic wheels though.

nappyaddict Tue 21-Oct-08 13:56:06

also the ones with free wheeling pedals are best. it means before they are big enough to pedal you can still push them around in it without them catching their legs on the pedals going around.

Plonker Tue 21-Oct-08 21:36:39

Any links?

SweetApril Tue 21-Oct-08 21:52:55

Ooh, sorry, I'm no good at links.

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 21-Oct-08 22:30:50

I second Kettler. A friend had one and it was great.

here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now