Talk

Advanced search

dd1 wants an ipod... will any old MP3 player do or do I have to spend looooooadsamoney?

(17 Posts)

um... that's it really.

Assume I am a complete technophobe (I am) and know nothing (I don't) and talk me through exactly what she wants, and how I go about buying it.

I am assuming that ipods don't play vinyl? wink

Trafficcone Wed 15-Oct-08 20:47:41

Well the first question is does she want an iPod or an MP3 player? I'd be very careful buying someone a cheap MP3 player if they really wanted an iPod, so I guess it depends on your dd's age... my 13 yr old has a Zen because he appreciates the brand (but I don't like iPods) but the younger 2 have generic cheapies.

she's 14 so it does have to be quite cool.

But I don't think she's bothered about it being specifically an ipod

forevercleaning Wed 15-Oct-08 20:49:28

oh if she is 14 it has to be the real maccoy [sp?]

luckylady74 Wed 15-Oct-08 20:51:35

ipod shuffles are not much more than an ordinary mp3 player and they come in purple like mine! Mine was from asda by the way!

Tn0g Wed 15-Oct-08 20:52:40

Oh, I agree with FC.

Has to be a bona fide Ipod and I'd buy one of those cute coloured sock thingy type things to put it in.

misdee Wed 15-Oct-08 20:52:51

ipod shuffles are £32

i love my nano though. was aboput £100

£32 sounds all right, I could run to that.

So an ipod shuffle won't get her drummed out of the cool gang at school? it won't break my bank, there are cute sock things to go over it and it comes in purple?

that'll be her christmas prezzy then.

Thanks all

<<<slinks off to ebay>>>

Cynthia32 Wed 15-Oct-08 20:55:58

My DD has one like this its very very good, can come in either 8gb which is £109 or 16gb which would be a bit more. Obviously its not the cheapest but you can store thousands and thousands (literally!) of songs on these things, as well as a lot of photos and videos. There are also games, and on this version the screen adjusts to whatever way you turn it!! oOo technology.

this?

with these?

grin

they look nice, cynthia, but money is tight and I can't run to that this year.

perhaps if dp gets a fantastic quids in job she can get one next year grin

Cynthia32 Wed 15-Oct-08 20:59:15

TBH I wouldn't get a shuffle. All of apples products are expensive but very good quality. The shuffle doesn't have a screen so you can't choose what you want to play. It also can't store a huge amount of music nor can you put photos or videos on. I think if you can stretch to it I'd get the nano or the ipod classic or if not then get an MP3.

nolongeraworriedmummy Wed 15-Oct-08 20:59:17

I paid 24 pound from aldi for a 2 gig mp4 with video player on it

NLAWM: does it work ok? we have an aldi near us so I could get one of them...

cynthia - noted, thank you. I suspect she will want to be able to choose what to listen to

nolongeraworriedmummy Thu 16-Oct-08 11:45:14

squonk its really good, as good as the ipod I have, they do different colours as well, black, pink ect, we travel by train a lot so its great because I can preload a film onto it for dd.

nolongeraworriedmummy Thu 16-Oct-08 11:46:43

its this one www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_5233.htm

Sazisi Fri 17-Oct-08 16:19:54

What about buying second hand?
I bought a lovely used red 8gb nano on ebay for just over 80 Euros, it came with some handy extras too. It's for DD1 for Christmas, but I keep thinking it's too good for her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now