Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about encouraging a shoes off policy - where do I buy the slippers for guests.

(60 Posts)
theITgirl Tue 14-Oct-08 22:25:26

We are just finishing off laying the new floor in the dining room / living room. It looks beautiful and we are wary of the floor getting damaged (example my sister and her stilettos). So I would like to buy some slippers for guests if they want to use them.
I want something I can throw in the washing machine & tumble drier so they don't get manky between guests. Does anyine know where I can buy them, nice & cheaply.

Thanks
Debbie

hana Tue 14-Oct-08 22:27:28

I wouldn't want to wear slippers in a friend's house, thanks very much. is a bit odd

DoubleBluff Tue 14-Oct-08 22:28:07

think a littl bit OCD?

Kbear Tue 14-Oct-08 22:28:39

you won't have any guests.....!!

Cappuccino Tue 14-Oct-08 22:29:32

why can't they just take their shoes off?

does your sister have stiletto heeled feet?

Blossomhill Tue 14-Oct-08 22:30:44

i don't see the problem? why not respect someones wishes. i don't particularly like people wearing shoes in my house to be honest. only because who knows what they have trodden in!

Cappuccino Tue 14-Oct-08 22:32:30

shoes off policy is fine

slippers suggests that the host doesn't even trust your feet in their house

DoubleBluff Tue 14-Oct-08 22:32:39

Whats the point of having floor if you cant put your feet on it?

slackrunner Tue 14-Oct-08 22:33:00

I would find it totally weird to be asked to wear slippers in a friend's house - bizarre, bizarre, bizarre.

jangly Tue 14-Oct-08 22:34:24

There's nothing wrong with wanting to protect a nice new floor from the extra wear shoes would put on it. And have you ever looked down at the pavements in town?

BloodAndMutts Tue 14-Oct-08 22:35:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jangly Tue 14-Oct-08 22:35:41

Providing slippers sounds caring.

schwotz Tue 14-Oct-08 22:35:51

I have just googles it an you can buy Disposable Guest Slippers in packs of 100.

I would not like to wear something other people have worn. Maybe you could buy something just for your sister if she likes high heels. But it is odd.

sustainablysourcedwhitefish Tue 14-Oct-08 22:36:11

We have a shoes off policy too, not precious live out in the sticks where there is much mud.

Some friends bring their own slippers but I have a drawer in the hall with warm socks (mostly BA freebies)for anyone with chilly feet to help themselves.

ilovemydog Tue 14-Oct-08 22:36:41

we had wood floors in dining room. One of our friends partners, got extremely drunk (at a party) and danced in her stillettos. Dreadful marks.

Just tell people to take off shoes. Slippers, while your intention is to be kind, would be too hotel ish... Maybe warn them in advance so they have opportunity to bring a pair of socks?

BloodAndMutts Tue 14-Oct-08 22:37:06

jangly Tue 14-Oct-08 22:37:20

Shoes off indoors is not rude. It is reasonable. Floors and carpets with street muck on them must be manky. Yuck!

BroccoliSpearedThroughTheHead Tue 14-Oct-08 22:37:44

lol - my friend bought her guest slippers from Ikea.

It's a bit odd to have to wear green towelling slippers with my nice outfit when we go there for dinner or a party, but meh, they are comfy and keep my feet warm. My friend is odd but she is my friend. I expect I do things that she finds perculiar.

schwotz Tue 14-Oct-08 22:38:29

I don't mind taking my shoes off. I would hate to be faced with a planned procedure to come in to some ones house though. If I know they have a shoes off rule I wear my own socks thank you.

GodzillasGhastlyPutridBumcheek Tue 14-Oct-08 22:38:34

My DIL frequently seems not to notice when he has walked through mud or dog poo - a shoes off policy is not rude. And if it is rude, TOUGH.

BloodAndMutts Tue 14-Oct-08 22:38:47

jangly Tue 14-Oct-08 22:38:54

See, shwosch has even found some disposable guest slippers so there must be a market for them.

jangly Tue 14-Oct-08 22:39:11

shwotz

Cynthia32 Tue 14-Oct-08 22:39:39

There is nothing wrong with asking your guests to take their shoes off. A lot of people do it as it just keeps the carpets cleaner - fair enough. Think slippers is taking it a bit far though, unless they have really grubby feet whats the problem?

BloodAndMutts Tue 14-Oct-08 22:40:11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now