Talk

Advanced search

Going to have to get a buggy..for a 3 year old!!

(16 Posts)
pramspotter Tue 14-Oct-08 11:28:02

My youngest ds just turned 3. His ancient buggy collapsed two weeks ago and I have sold the phil and teds. Damn. I was sick of the tire punctures on it and the size of it.

Have been trying to manage the school run for my older 2 children without a buggy but 3 year old is running away, then complaining that he is tired etc. Yesterday I ended up carrying him home along with the shopping and school bags because he was going into a strop.

I don't drive because I love to walk but we do a lot of walking.

Is there a buggy out there that is actually suitable for a 3 year old. I will be having another baby in the future so I will get further use out of it anyway.

I was thinking about a chicco multiway or some kind of maclaren. Don't want anything too big and fancy.

The only criteria is that it needs to be sturdy enough for a 3 year old and a neutral colour for the next baby.

pramspotter Tue 14-Oct-08 11:30:10

I do know how to spell and use punctuation. I just can't do that and type at the same time.

forevared Tue 14-Oct-08 13:02:24

It depends if you want a 4 or 3 wheeler. I find the 3 wheelers best especially if you do a lot of walking what with the swivel wheel.
I know they're chunky but I have a Jane 360 powertrack. They don't make them any more but you can pick one up on eBay. If it ever broke I'd get another one in a heartbeat. Only downside I find is the small shopping bag underneath. They're a lovely size for older toddlers. My very tall 2.9 still fits it with miles of room left. It also fits my 6 month old nicely, plus when he needs to sleep it's got a great recline on it.

laurz75 Tue 14-Oct-08 13:08:50

When needs must, my ds(3.3) is very comfy in his sister's (18m) Mothercare Urban Detour. Picked mine up on FreeAds for £50.

pushchair Tue 14-Oct-08 13:13:46

Would recommend a maclaren xt if you dont mind new baby facing away from you. Or maybe get cheaper maclaren like a triumph and a more baby friendly one for newborn later.

pramspotter Tue 14-Oct-08 14:29:45

I was actually checking out a Maclaren Volo. I don't need the seat to recline. I just need something light that will take a small 3 year old. The volo is supposedly able to take a child up to 55 lbs.

I'll probably get a pram type thing for the little one later on. Haven't decided on that yet.

DH can't believe I am buying another pushchair. He should try and do the school run without one!!

MingMingtheWonderPet Tue 14-Oct-08 14:35:41

I know, it is hard. My DD is 3.5, but the school run for her is about 1.5mile round trip and that is quite a way for her little legs!
She can walk in one direction, but struggles to get all the way home without whinging!
We have a MaclarenXT and it is great for her, tho you could prob go for a cheaper Maclaren if you are buying it now for your 3yo.

DontKillMeBaby Tue 14-Oct-08 14:51:24

We have a Volo now collecting cobwebs in the porch, having been retired somewhere around the time DD turned 4. Despite it being very lightweight and minimalistic I never got any feeling that it was struggling with her weight (she's not tiny). The basket's not big for your shopping though, and it's not the best for lots of walking. That said, we did use it for some longer (urban) distances after selling the three-wheeler and it did just fine.

pramspotter Tue 14-Oct-08 16:12:43

I think Maclaren is an option..

Chicco multiway looks quite sturdy.....I wish we had a baby shop nearby so I could try one out.

mistlethrush Tue 14-Oct-08 16:33:48

Our MB urban was fine for my niece when she was 3.5 - and we used it for ds from 5wks and didn't have anything else... Not particularly small to put in car - but if your are mainly walking with it it is a dream to push...

louii Tue 14-Oct-08 16:40:10

My micralite is still great for DS who is 3 1/2, and pretty big, it wins over the Maclaren as he cant put his feet on the ground in Micralite.
Its also not a rigid seat, more like a sling so he is not squashed into it.
www.micralite.com/fastfold.asp
U can get a newborn carry cot with it, its a great buggy.

mammy2G Tue 14-Oct-08 19:47:12

My very tall 2.7 DS (looks at least 6 months older) uses a Mamas and Papas Pulse buggy. Cost abt £90 (red or black) and also does recline if ever needed. I do not drive, walk everywhere in the city basically and needed something smaller for folding than the big buggy I got when he was a baby. Find it an excellent choice.

nicolamumof3 Tue 14-Oct-08 20:13:26

I am considering getting a volo too! i think they look great. I am a huge maclaren fan tho, they last and last.

Aitch Tue 14-Oct-08 20:15:21

i had a volo, they're great. highly recommend.

shhhh Sat 18-Oct-08 15:47:06

I have a dazzle for sale if interested..?

IMO it is fine for a 3 yr old. We used it for ds (20 months) BUT dd (3.6yrs) has been in it without a problem. Its quite a roomy pram iykiwm so would easily fit an older child.

horsemadgal Sat 18-Oct-08 23:34:00

These are the ones that my 4 year old fits into and I can push easily:
Jane Slalom/Powertrack 360/Nurse Dakar
Mountain Buggy
Zapp
Presto

MacLaren and similar strollers his legs can reach the ground and has done since he was just turned 3, they also are so heavy to push with an older child in them.

DS's head was over the back of the Urban Detour and Nipper 360 although they were nice to push.

M&P Luna also worth a try, my son just fitted in that.

Best to take him to pram shop if poss and sit him in them if he is willing grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now