Talk

Advanced search

Is your DC 2? If so, what toys do they love and play with the most?

(28 Posts)
Tobermory Mon 13-Oct-08 12:24:20

DH says we have to be a bit careful this xmas, and while it pains me to agree, I think he probablly has a point! hmm

DD is almost 17 months. We havent really bought her any toys since her birthday in May, except for books(and in my opinion they dont count),as a result quite a lot of her stuff is fairly age appropriate now, but will prob not keep a 1.5 -2 year old occupied for long. As it is unlikely that we will buy much in the way of toys between Xmas and her 2nd birthday, need to consider what to buy.

What toys does your (nearly) 2 yr old love and what keeps the occupied for hours?

rislip Mon 13-Oct-08 12:28:04

Her dolly pushchair. It cost £5 from Tesco and she is obsessed with it and has been ever since she could walk. Also a box of duplo Lego.

Tobermory Mon 13-Oct-08 12:31:50

Oooh lego sounds like a good idea. Duplo is that the big stuff with large knobbly bits? hmm at description.Though I'm sure that's not how they describe it on the box!

rislip Mon 13-Oct-08 12:56:04

Yes good old knobbly duplo is the stuff.

Eniddo Mon 13-Oct-08 12:57:11

dolly in buggy (she is 2.6 now but has loved this from 18 months)

mini trampoline

Fifi flowertot house

Shannaratiger Mon 13-Oct-08 12:59:47

Weebles, DD is now 5 and she has been playing with then since she was 2 and DS is just 2 and is still playing with her old weeble van.

Shannaratiger Mon 13-Oct-08 13:00:51

X-post we have brought him some new sets as well smile

Tobermory Mon 13-Oct-08 13:03:26

2 votes for dolly in a buggy. This weekend shes just started hugging everything, cushions, teddies and the cat shock, also feeding them from her bottle so maybe a plan

RubySlippers Mon 13-Oct-08 13:04:51

tea set

duplo

honestly - i don't know why i don't just bin everything else he has

(oh, and stacking cups for the bath)

nicolamumof3 Mon 13-Oct-08 14:56:38

i have only boys, but they adore the fisher price little people sets. But mostly like the little diecast trains and cars. all expensive toys sit in corner. my ds also loves the little dolls pushchairs too! X

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 13-Oct-08 15:00:54

plastic tea set

Etch a sketch type things (cheaper versions) - dd is the same age and will happily scribble for ages

Building blocks

Shape sorters (an ITNG one especially)

Dress up shoes (on and off for hours !)

Jigsaws

Tobermory Mon 13-Oct-08 15:04:37

scribble, yes she loves scribbling. What are those things called where you fill the pen with water?

Dress up - bought her a v cheap witches hat the other day which she loves. Maybe stuff for a dressing up box of some kind.

tillyscoutsmum ITNG. Im sure i should know, but what does it stand for?

Tobermory Mon 13-Oct-08 15:06:03

oh. ITNG =in the night garden blush
I could pretend i dont know as i never let my DD watch the TV?

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 13-Oct-08 15:23:25

Me neither Toberymory smile No idea why she likes it wink I think your nickname might give you away a teeny bit as well (unless you actually live there in which case I am very envy)

mrsbabookaloo Mon 13-Oct-08 15:41:25

Definitely one of those scribbler boards: dd and her friends fight over hers. Bought one from John Lewis, I think it was Tomy or a big brand, but it was rubbish. ELC one better I think.

And I also second the tea set idea: hours of fun. Play food of any kind is great: dd loves her pretend birthday cake complete with candles and knife!

Lastly, I've just bought dd a wheely suitcase and she is thrilled with it. She keeps going "on holiday".

Tobermory Mon 13-Oct-08 15:52:51

Thanks all, great ideas. On my list so far;

Tea set - by popular demand
Duplo
one of the drawing thingies where you add water to the pen to make it work
Dressing up stuff in a box - where from? Though i suppose this could be an inexpensive thing we could be added to at any time
dolly/buggy - maybe?

Anything else?

StayFrostyShiversDownMySpine Mon 13-Oct-08 15:59:39

Another vote for dolly buggy, best £6 we have ever spent. She also has this: Wow Flip n Tip Fred which she has had since she was one in Feb, and still sees a lot of action, she also really likes her pop up play tent thing she's got. She has a wheelie toy trolley thing from either GLTC or Verbaudet, can't remember which, and that's ace as well, it is dead versatile cos she uses it as a pram, a toy box, or she hoiks everything out and climbs in it. But tis not on the face of it a mad exciting present.

nicolamumof3 Mon 13-Oct-08 16:04:58

I would also recommned buying presents from boots...all 3 for 2 and free delivery over £40 plus they are doing lots of extra points incentives so you can use your points for extra pressies nearer xmas xx

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 13-Oct-08 16:06:39

The aqua draws are good but etch a sketch things are better ime because they are more portable and require no set up. We have a little travel one which gets lots of use in the car as well

Trollsworth Mon 13-Oct-08 16:08:42

megablocks
plasticine (not if they eat it)
stickers
a pencil and paper
dolly pushchair
trainset
little cars
balls

She will, if not already, start the 'enveloping' schema, so things that go in other things will be popular

yomellamoHelly Mon 13-Oct-08 16:22:16

My ds's favourite toy at that age (received at 26 months) was a Colour Doodle. £15. Played with solidly until he was 4 and we left it at someone else's house (not worth postage to get back and by then starting to be interested in crayons etc...)

Sidge Mon 13-Oct-08 17:11:05

My DD3 is 25 months now and loves:

Dollies and their clothes/pushchair/bottles/blankets etc

Pretend food and teaset

She has a doodle thing (not this one but same idea) and loves it

She is not remotely interested in Duplo, bricks or cars!

Tobermory Mon 13-Oct-08 17:27:50

Sidge...youve ruined my list!!! wink

stealthsquiggle Mon 13-Oct-08 17:41:14

Dolls pushchair. Much as I hate gender stereotyping and all that, DD has been obsessed for months and we finally caved and got her one for her birthday - she loves it.

Play kitchen / cooking stuff - will occupy both DS(5) and DD(2) for hours on end

YeahBut Mon 13-Oct-08 17:48:41

Well, my ds has a baby doll and a pram and it is one of his favourites. In fact all three of the children have loved pushing a pram around at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now