Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can't decide if I should buy a leappad for dd1 - she's nearly 4...

(17 Posts)
emkana Thu 03-Mar-05 21:39:14

...and loves books. We read about five books a day together, and she often looks at books by herself, "reading" them. Is a leappad worth having? Just had a look at it on the web and can't make up my mind...

MissGalway Thu 03-Mar-05 21:45:02

We got one for DD for Christmas. The biggest problem with them is that they use up batteries at an enormous rate. We bought a charger and rechargeable batteries to combat this problem. We probably should have done it before though as I am trying to be more environmentally aware.

She has a few of the "games" and she does enjoy them. There are only a few cartridges available so hopefully they will introduce more soon as she is getting bored with them. HTH>

sacha3taylor Thu 03-Mar-05 21:50:48

My DS had one when he was just 4 and he loves it! Like Miss Galway said, the way they use batteries is silly but we found it a very good buy.

ionesmum Thu 03-Mar-05 22:12:40

My dd is 3 and has My First Leappad which she loves, and can work by herself. Don't know how quickly she'll out grow it though.

ponygirl Thu 03-Mar-05 22:24:58

I was very doubtful about them, tbh, but my BIL bought one for dd's 4th birthday in January and she completely loves it. She's only got a couple of books (must get more but it gets a bit expensive), but it would probably be worth it. My dd loves books and has she has the application to sit and work out all the different things it does. Ds1 would have been way to flighty at this age, but he's very interested now and he's 6! He doesn't get much of a look in though. Nor does ds2 (2) and he's pretty keen as well!

MissGalway Thu 03-Mar-05 22:29:19

sorry just re-read your post emkana, my dd has a leapster not a leap pad.

Dior Thu 03-Mar-05 22:45:20

Message withdrawn

Dior Thu 03-Mar-05 22:45:32

Message withdrawn

Nemo1977 Thu 03-Mar-05 22:49:17

why dont u look on ebay used systems with about 6/7 books are selling for around 12-15 pounds

csa Mon 07-Mar-05 14:04:44

thinking also for my ds who will be 3 next month. but not sure whether we should get the 3-5 year old one or the next stage up (age 4+). any suggestions anyone?

ZoeB Mon 07-Mar-05 14:07:57

Really helpful chap in early Learning recommends 4 + as 3-5 doesnt stretch them

biglips Mon 07-Mar-05 14:10:58

we got one for DP's Dd on her 4th bday and now she is 6 and still loves it

mummytosteven Mon 07-Mar-05 16:56:18

if you are looking for a first hand one, think asda is the cheapest - £25 - or £20 if you odn't mind a Spiderman one

Carameli Tue 08-Mar-05 08:00:28

I don't know too much about the actual leappad but dd(17mnths) got the little touch leappad from her grandparents at christmas and loves it. If she is playing on her own she often just sits there and pretends to read the story like I do with her. Its really funny watching her pointing at the words though and mumbling something. I think she feels really big when she does this:-)

dd sounds like your dd and loves books, has done since she could hold one. I'm a teacher and think they are a great way to encourage children into reading these days.

skerriesmum Tue 08-Mar-05 08:29:44

She'd love it I'd say. My ds has the 3-5 one and loves it (he's 2.) Get the 4+ one as the 3-5 is very basic (colours, numbers, letters.)

Bozza Tue 08-Mar-05 08:35:27

DS got the 4+ Leappad for his 3rd birthday. Although it was a bit advanced for him he enjoyed fiddling with it, but over the last few months (he recently turned 4) he's started doing more. He also got new books for Christmas which helped. He's a reader by inclination I think, not that he can read yet but he loves me reading to him and will often sit down on his bed with half a dozen books looking through them.

csa Tue 08-Mar-05 09:16:51

thanks all - ds loves reading books so i think the 4+ range would be better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now