Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So am going to ASDA wih £25 for as much food as possible. What do u suggest?

(28 Posts)
mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 17:58:31

Yeah that's about it.

I kind of have a menu.

Is smart price mince okay?

mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:02:31

Frozen onions? ny good?

moondog Tue 07-Oct-08 18:03:49

Noooo!
Too expensive
Rice
Lentils
Eggs
Cheese

FioFio Tue 07-Oct-08 18:04:54

Message withdrawn

Saturn74 Tue 07-Oct-08 18:05:35

potatoes
beans
cheese
pasta
tinned tomatoes
rice
eggs
tinned tuna/mackerel fillets/sardines

Flamebat Tue 07-Oct-08 18:05:38

smart price mince is fine - just strain it.

FioFio Tue 07-Oct-08 18:05:39

Message withdrawn

lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 18:06:41

go veggie ! pulses, rice, smart price veg that can be made into soup or frittatas. if you must have meat, you can bulk up mince with red lentils. jacket potatos with any manner of fillings cheap and cheerful

SaintRiven Tue 07-Oct-08 18:07:19

lentils. You can bulk out everything with those.

mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:07:27

LOL at moondog

Okay realised have been daft asking for help when already have menu, I am having

Spag Bol
Chicken casserole
Cheese Burgers
Chilli
Chicken Curry

Have most of the stuff in but just need help with the cheaper stuff my ethics have gone out the window at the mo

mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:09:45

Okay no I don't have most of the stuff in but do have some LOL.

lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 18:12:26

that is a lot of meat

you can make the spag bol and chilli together really, and bulk up with lentils, and then add beans etc to one half and add bolognese stuff to the other half

chicken casserole : there is a good feed your family for a £5 recipe for chicken and green lentil hotpot...

curry you can bulk up again with lentil and with sweet potatos and chick peas

mummyplonk Tue 07-Oct-08 18:12:52

They were doing £2 for a whole chicken (max 3 pp last week) hope still on, we r turning into chickens...cluck

mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:18:06

I know it's a lot of meat lulumama

My DS and DP are very fussy eaters

I am trying to think of other things but can't, lentils I think are a no go unless you can blend them I love veg and things like that but they won't even attempt it. DP has never tried a carrot!

Any suggestions for cheap meals that don't involve to much veg unless hidden maybe can be sly about it LOL.

elmoandella Tue 07-Oct-08 18:21:53

noodles. 8p a pack.

lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 18:23:08

red lentils will go to nothing in mince meat, i have started using htem recently and they are great. they suck up a lot of liquid though so you need to add more stock etc to what you are cooking

can you not encourage your DP to try some different foods? shock at not eating carrots

MyDingaling Tue 07-Oct-08 18:24:31

Your DP has never tried a carrotshock

TsarChasm Tue 07-Oct-08 18:27:20

Big frozen yorkshire puddings are quite cheap to buy. Could have with some sausages, gravy, mash and veg.

mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:28:01

I know shocked me too, I assumed he didn't like them but no his mum hasn't either hmm it's a case of don't like the look of so won't try pathetic really.

DS sin't to bad although he is only 2. But I encourage him as much as possible but he is a very fussy eater.

mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:29:00

Does anyone have a recipe for tomato and chilli sauce?

Might have it with some pasta and some cheap garlic bread. YUM.

SmugColditz Tue 07-Oct-08 18:31:07

Don't buy frozen anything.

Get fresh smartprice veg. a couple of packets of smartprice spaghetti, a bag of smartp[rice rice.

Get a dozen eggs. Get some cheese.

Do you have pack ups to make? buy7 lots of smartprice wholemeal bread and freeze it, make a big flap jack with smartprice ingredients and buy a bag of apples, bananas, and every day shove in cheese sandwich, piece of flapjack, an apple and a banana.

choose a protein food for every teatime for the next 7 days. This can be beans, fish, chicken, meat, cheese or eggs. The non meat foods are cheaper, but remember fish includes tinned tuna which is cheap and nutricious.

Use tinned tomato on pasta with carrots and tinned beans.
Make special fried rice, with eggs, shredded cabbage and carrot, and boiled rice with a dash of soy sauce
Make sausage, mash and veg (buy cheap potatoes, not expensive ones)
make cauliflower cheese with bread and butter or a jacket potato.
make potato wedges with fried egg, tinned tomatoes and baked beans
Make chicken drumsticks (the leg, baked in the oven for about 30 minutes) with roast potatoes, carrots and cabbage and gravy
Make fish pie - frozen smartprice white fish OR tuna, with a cheese sauce and tine of sweedcorn, with mashed potato topping, served with brocolli
Pork rib chops with rice and veg

SmugColditz Tue 07-Oct-08 18:32:22

empty a cheap tin of tomatoes into a jug, add chillis or chilli powder, microwave, leave to stand until cool, microwave again.

mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:35:07

Wow colditz that sounds easy enough for even me! LOL.25

SmugColditz Tue 07-Oct-08 18:39:40

Har, have been skint since I left hime, I had to learn to cook cheap!

mamadiva Tue 07-Oct-08 18:45:08

That's the way to do it though ain't it

Wish I'd have done it sooner

I know how to cook basics but not alot... I am only 21 though so plenty of time yet

Have just looked at a chilli recipe too sounds really easy and cheap so will try that instead of a jar blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now