Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Digital Camera for 4.5 year old

(29 Posts)
busymummy77 Tue 07-Oct-08 14:13:59

I am looking at buying my ds one for xmas as he has one with a 35m film that he loves but it takes us forever to get the film developed as always forgetting to take it out with us.

Any suggestions please. Have bought the
little Tikes one but will probably take it back as the screen looks tiny!!

Thanks x

AprilMeadow Tue 07-Oct-08 15:04:47

I think Kodak do one that is very child friendly about £35. My ds loves his

thatsnotmyname Tue 07-Oct-08 15:22:16

I saw one advertised this morning, it does stills, takes movies and is a games console, bugger me if I can remember what it is called though, was on Nick Junior.

AprilMeadow Tue 07-Oct-08 16:26:32

i think it might be the kodak one - you can add backgrounds and such like

sammybeth Tue 07-Oct-08 16:31:11

My dd had the v-tech camera for her 5th birthday and it is great. She can take photos,film videos and play games on it. It also plugs in the tv so she can see all her pics big and play the games on ther too. Comes with all the wires to do this and also the disc to load the photos on the computer. It is also great as it is really robust and doesnt break when dropped and believe me it has been plenty of times!! Its a bit more expensive at £50 but well worth it.

MadameCastafiore Tue 07-Oct-08 16:32:27

Next have one in the directory for £15 - I have got both of mine one as I really think it not worth spending a huge amount on one - they just want to be able to look at the pictures after they have taken them - the next one you can download onto PC and add backgrounds etc.

sammybeth Tue 07-Oct-08 16:33:11

Also you can add backgrounds and funny things like pig noses and rabbit ears to your photos which my dd thinks is great fun. Comes in a few different colours as well, my nephew has a camouflage one, great for little boys. See the v-tech website.

busymummy77 Tue 07-Oct-08 18:24:26

Have been looking around and think i will go for the v tech one. I know the picture quality is not great. If he gets on ok with that and really enjoys it then his little sister can have it and we can buy him a cheap proper one. I think if i buy a proper one he will drop it and i cant see it lasting too long with him. I think he will like the fact that you can add funny effects. x

MilaMae Tue 07-Oct-08 20:41:08

My 5 year old son has just got the V-Tech one-it's fab,doesn't leave his side.

sammybeth Tue 07-Oct-08 21:37:31

busymummy once you upload the pictures onto the computer they look a lot better than they do on the little screen. Kids dont notice the difference anyway they are just excited to see the photos they have taken. I think he will love it.My dd takes hers whenever we go out for the day or even when we are at home shes forever poking it my face!!!! We got my dd a blue one as it is a unisex colour and then my ds can have it when shes grown out of it.

busymummy77 Tue 07-Oct-08 21:53:20

Can you add the backgrounds etc to the screen on the camera or is it only once they have been uploaded to pc. x

MilaMae Wed 08-Oct-08 14:08:43

You can add it all on the camera. My son made me pose for 10 mins to get a good shot so he could put a pig nose on and devil horns!!!!!!grin

He takes it everywhere, as it's so tough he can. It doesn't need a bag and more importantly I don't need to supervise at all.

busymummy77 Wed 08-Oct-08 14:57:32

That sounds like the kind of thing my son would do. He would love it and the poor picture quality would not bother him. He would be more interested in taking a photo and seeing what he has taken - being it only half of someone or just an arm!!! x

Wolfgirl Tue 14-Oct-08 14:41:01

HI ya, does anyone know where I could find a review comparison say... VTech Vs Fisher Price?

Wolfgirl Tue 14-Oct-08 17:05:25

look what I just found laides. A real help!!

http://www.alphamom.com/hotspots/2007/11/reviewsof_kids_digitalcamera.php

Califrau Tue 14-Oct-08 17:15:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfgirl Tue 14-Oct-08 17:55:28

thanks Califrau.

MilaMae Tue 14-Oct-08 20:16:49

We have both the V-Tech is better. The FP is very basic (probably suitable for 3 and under imho). The FP is probably slighter tougher but there isn't a lot to it iykwim.

My 3 all fight over the V-Tech one, for some wierd reason the battery seems to last longer on the V-Tech too. You can do some fun things with it and it's tough ours has taken a battering.

Definately wouldn't get the FP for a 4.5 year old.

My DC are 5,5 and nearly 4. My youngest has the FP but wants to use the V-Tech all the time.

Wolfgirl Wed 15-Oct-08 08:50:33

ah, thanks MilaMae. Interesting! wink and great news, cos its selling quite cheap in Costco at the moment grin

elliott Wed 15-Oct-08 09:17:56

Can you make prints from the Vtech (sorry if that's a stupid question!)

Wolfgirl Wed 15-Oct-08 10:45:47

elliott, you can upload the pics to your computer, so from your pc you could print out. if that makes sense.

MilaMae Wed 15-Oct-08 11:45:19

DP thinks you could buy a card too to put straight into one of those photo printers if you were very rich.

MilaMae Wed 15-Oct-08 11:48:21

Get a 20% off code for ELC then it would be £40. If you're near Trago Mills I think I saw them even cheaper there.

elliott Wed 15-Oct-08 11:51:56

OK thanks. We were thinking of getting a printer that will do photo sized prints straight from the card - our problem being that we never get around to doing anything with our photos (a real downside to digital photography imo) If I get cameras for the ds's, I want them to be able to print them out as real pictures with as little hassle as possible!

I've been trying to track down an indestructible, simple but decent quality camera for the ds's for a while so this thread is v useful! I am not v convinced by the vtech one as it looks so clunky and babyish - would prefer a 'proper' camera but obviously robust and with easy controls.
Some questions:
1. what is the next directory one like in terms of quality?
2. the most appropriate 'real' camera looks to be something like the kodak easyshare c series - but reviews on amazon suggest they are not v robust - has anyone any experience?

Wolfgirl Wed 15-Oct-08 12:46:24

Mmmmm... I know exactly what you mean elliott. we are the same. we must have thousands of pics on our computer now, I have even set up folders and put in my faves ready to send to Photobox or snapfish... or somewhere. Havent gotten round to doing that either shock. We too are considering a photo printer.... its gotta be the way to go, espesh now LOs are getting on the band wagon.

Got no idea about Next product / quality. and no idea about the Kodak. I will stick with the VTech, as its quite cheap at Costco.

the next one up suggested in the review I posted above is the Nickelodeon Sponge Bob Square Pants 1.3 MP Camera. the lady writes...

The Features: SD compatible slot expandable to 2GB, Internal memory: 32MB stores 200 photos, flash can be turned on and off or set automatic, zoom 4x

The Good:
- Coming out of the box I was sure that this one was going to be my least favorite camera. It is small, smaller than is comfortable for grown-up hands. My 6 yr old, however, thinks that this camera is the bees knees.
- It stores up to 200 photos on the internal memory and also has a slot of an SD card up to 2GB. It has a view finder that looks like you are looking through vaseline, in fact I checked a couple of times to make sure that there was not some sort of plastic film covering it. But since this LCD has the same issues in low light as the Disney Pix Click camera above, it is nice to have any sort of view finder to use especially in low light situations where you can not see a thing on the LCD screen.
- The photos have greater amount definition, this is the only camera out of the bunch that is 1.3 megapixels, with some mid tone ranges in there with the high and low lights.
- My 6 yr old loves the self timer feature on this camera.

The Bad:
The view finder and LCD screen could both stand to be improved. If children could see better they would be able to take better photos.

The Verdict:
For the 6-9 yr old set this camera is great. Don't expect great works of photographic art that you will be able to blow up and hang on the wall. But for photos of their friends, their food, the television, this little camera is a winner. Once they learn how to hold perfectly still you will be able to print out 4x6 photos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now