Talk

Advanced search

Sling advice please....

(24 Posts)
Wheelybug Sun 05-Oct-08 19:33:34

I have read lots of threads on the matter of slings but am still a bit unsure so wondered if anyone would like to recommend me a sling !

I initially thought the Ergo as saw it in use by a MNer last year but from reading on here they aren't that good for new borns ?

I didn't use a sling with dd much because she was tiny at birth (4 lbs 9) and the main slings I knew about were the baby bjorn type which weren't suitable for one so small. I did borrow one when she was a bit bigger but it was an old one and didn't feel secure so worried me.

My main considerations are:

- I want one for convenience (have got used to not having a buggy since dd gave hers up a year ago) rather than for 'babywearing' (note - not that I think there's anything wrong with that)

- I like the look more of upright ones rather than the across the body type mainly because I think I wouldn't be comfortable with one that you tie from a security point of view and also I don't want to look like an ageing hippy (again not that there's anything wrong with that)

- um... I imagine it would only be for first 6 months if that.

If I haven't offended all sling users out there I would grateful for your thoughts (even if its that I should get over myself and get an across the body type).

Thanks in advance !

RuthChan Sun 05-Oct-08 20:25:34

I hope I didn't look too much like a hippy, but I have an across the body type.
I loved it and so did DD.
She slept in it from birth, I could BF her inside it and no one had any idea what I was doing, she was snug and she could sit in it rather than lie down when she got bigger.

I also have a vertical type one which I used sometimes for more 'heavy duty' wear as it divided the weight across both shoulders rather than only one, but the traditional sling type one was definitely my favourite.

I'm looking forward to using it again from next month with DC2 (I hope!!)

IlanaK Sun 05-Oct-08 20:28:56

For people who are less sure of slings, go for a soft structured carrier. These are more like the baby bjorn, but much beter for your back and your baby.

www.littlepossums.co.uk/slings/soft-slings.htm

alittlebitshy Sun 05-Oct-08 20:33:15

Wheelybug hi!! <waves> (did i know you were pg?? - congrats!!)
I love my Close baby carrier. Loads of us on my post natal thread have it - have a look for it (too lazy to link it). It's like a wrap but involves no tying and is so snuggly, cosy and EASY!

cmotdibbler Sun 05-Oct-08 20:39:26

My first sling was a ring sling www.littlepossums.co.uk/slings/ring-slings.htm - I had the Ellaroo in black. Very easy to use, no tieing, lots of positions possible, easy to bf in, and goes from tiny baby to toddler

IlanaK Sun 05-Oct-08 21:20:22

I have a close too and love it. And this is from a person who has owned and worn every type of sling out there! Currenly, with baby 3 who is 11 weeks old I have in my flat 3 zolowear ring slings, a hotslings pouch, a karime wrap, two cwtshi meiteis, and the close baby carrier.

I love ring slings and the close, but my husband hates both as he has never got the hang of adjusting with a ring. He loves teh karime wrap and the meiteis, both of which I don't get one with. He also has the pouch, but is not using it much at the moment.

The thing about slings is that everyone likes something different.

The reason I suggested and linked to a soft structured carrier is that it is easy to use for people who are used to things like baby bjorns.

Wheelybug Sun 05-Oct-08 22:10:48

Thank you so much - i will take a good look at these in the morning and may come back with some questions ! I didn't realise there were quite so many types out there.

Hi ALBS ! Long time no speak. I am 17 weeks pregnant FINALLY grin. All ok so far but of course still worried all the time. How's it going with your 2 ? How old is ds now ?? Is it all going well ??

SoloTheCharmedOne Sun 05-Oct-08 22:15:42

I've loved my Wilkinet and even(still)use it ~ just last week for Dd @ 21 months. It is a tie around one, but I've never felt that I was going to lose Dd and she seems happy in it too.

alittleteapot Sun 05-Oct-08 22:18:01

i'd go for a stretchy wrap sling for newborn and then a soft structured carrier like the ergo or beco when a bit bigger i.e. about 6 months which will take you through to toddlerhood and beyond. but i also couldn't have been without my coorie from www.brightsparkslings.co.uk

dizzywitches Sun 05-Oct-08 22:19:24

close for me too - its fab smile

littlelamb Sun 05-Oct-08 22:21:02

Another recommendation for the Close from me. I love it and it made geting around with ds so easy in the early days. I got it when ds was 5 days old and my fancy Baby Bjorn Active was killing my back. With the Close sling I couldn't even feel ds's weight and can still carry him comfortably at 17 weeks and almost 18 pounds. Worth every penny

GreenMonkies Sun 05-Oct-08 22:21:47

Ring Sling!!

Quick, easy, secure, comfortable, funky. Love them. grin

JoyS Mon 06-Oct-08 01:10:45

Napsack Baby mei tai Has really wide straps that distribute the weight. I love the way my 3 month old snuggles up in it. Also wear my 28 month old on my back on occasion.

Slingjax has slings you can hire to try out. I love the look of ring slings but they just don't work for me, and the beco is not all that--I wish I'd tried before buying as I currently have 5 slings (pouch, ring, beco, ergo and mei tai).

Chellsmum Mon 06-Oct-08 09:56:40

Hi Wheelybug

Was going to start a thread like this one as I think i'm looking for the same things in a sling that you are. I was going to go for a baby bjorn type sling but they haven't got great reviews but that is the type i'm looking for. Something that is simple and easy to put on.
For those that know is the Close baby carrier easy to put on, take off, suitable from newborn?

Yeni Mon 06-Oct-08 10:01:42

I like the Beco Butterfly and it is suitable for newborns.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Mon 06-Oct-08 10:05:00

Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with a coorie. No tying, no rings to slip (not that they do but I was never confident with them!) and so simple. I can still carry BabyDragon in it and she's 2.8.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Mon 06-Oct-08 10:05:28

Oh, and if you can sew they are a piece of cake to make yourself.

Wheelybug Mon 06-Oct-08 11:07:21

oooh more choices.

Desperate to sit down and look at all of these but need to dash now - but thank you all so much for your advice. Will have a look later.

Interested in the answer to Chellsmum's qu re the closer one and getting it on and off. Partic with winter coat on ?? Does it go under the coat ??

Back later.....

littlelamb Mon 06-Oct-08 11:10:10

A Close just pops on over your head like a t shirt. Very very easy. I would wear it under my coat (just get a GIANT coat so you can do it up maybe now that the weather has turned a bit more chilly). If you have a Jojo Maman Bebe near you they do fantatic demonstrations- I was sold on mine and wore it (and ds) out of the shop!

McDreamy Mon 06-Oct-08 11:10:50

Interesting thread, I am going to try a closer tomorrow. Saw a mum the other day with one on. Looked really comfy and baby looked really snug. So going to give it go tomorrow, will let you know how I get one wheely!

alittlebitshy Mon 06-Oct-08 16:49:51

Even though I have the Close I've been wondering about the coat issue. ok - big cosy coat it is (the one i wore when I was preg probably grin)

liath Mon 06-Oct-08 16:52:52

I could lend you my ergo if you fancy a try of it (am now totally in love with my P&T double....). I found it fine from birth although the baby looks a bit odd lying across the way with their feet sticking out the side grin. Having said that I've seen lots of people using the closer sling & they look wonderful.

Wheelybug Mon 06-Oct-08 17:12:57

Right am back !

Am going to look at all these if I can find them on the internet. The closer does seem to be coming out very recommended - McD let me know how you get on. I am probably heading to Jojo in the next couple of days so will have a look (although can't see it in the catalogue).

Does anyone have experience of using slings with very tiny babies ? Fingers crossed I won't have the same issues as last time but is something to consider - this is my question mark with the Ergo Liath as people say its not great for newborns and if its a smaller than norm newborn... hmmm.... Thank you for the loan offer though - v. kind. Glad the P&T is working out well !

Dragon - sadly I didn't inherit my mothers sewing skills and struggle to sew on a button (really !) so would not trust my sewing on making a baby sling !!

Right off to search the net - thanks for all the great advice everyone !

Wheelybug Wed 08-Oct-08 14:09:22

McDreamy - did you try a close ? How did you get on ??

I went to Jojo yesterday but they didn't have it so maybe its only certain branches. Nevermind, have a while to source one to view !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now