Talk

Advanced search

Amercian Kidswear !

(9 Posts)
Cocobabe Sun 05-Oct-08 17:51:33

Has anyone ever ordered kidswear from website in the states ? Do duty tax apply and how does it work ?...

mrswoolf Sun 05-Oct-08 17:59:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cocobabe Sun 05-Oct-08 18:15:27

How come you were not charged at other times ? Do u think it might have summat to do with the limit of cost purchases ?

clouded Tue 14-Oct-08 12:42:27

Cocobabe, just recieved a sleepsuit from Hanna Andersson USA (thanks for tip Expat - lovely designs). There was no extra customs charge, just the original postage paid to HA.
It was sent by first class airmail international and was only one item, so can't say whether the cost of the clothes makes a difference. Good service though.

mum2GKH Tue 14-Oct-08 23:30:17

You can purchase goods to the value of £36 without paying any VAT or import duty. Most couriers and Parcel Force slap their own charges on too. From December this year this limit will be raised to £100.
I have ordered from Gymboree a few times and use the express service from FedEx. I used the standard shipping once (DHL) and they conned me in to paying their admin fee even though no charges were due. Had a delivery last week from Gyboree of $100 and 2 days later a bill from FedEx for £25 for VAT. Rang them up and told them VAT is not chargable on children's clothes and they immediately cancelled the bill. If you can hang on until December things will get better because of the larger allowance.

clouded Wed 15-Oct-08 10:10:50

That's very helpful mum2GKH. Thanks!

lauraloola Wed 15-Oct-08 13:33:22

My dp's mum sends us loads from the states for my dd. Be aware that their sizes are slightly different to ours. Dd is 4mo and in an American 12 month top at the mo.

Cocobabe Thu 16-Oct-08 20:25:55

Thanks for all your tips - esp hearing about the changes in Dec - will wait till then ! Re sizes how do you know what the best size to get if theyre different to ours ? (my dd is 5 and ds is 2)

hana Thu 16-Oct-08 20:29:35

cocobabe - different stores will size differently, just like here ( I think Tesco clothes come up v v big, Next big too but Gap usually on smaller size) If you say what the stores are, some of us can help you out...

Children's Place for example are small

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now