Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Trike recommendations please

(16 Posts)
shelleylou Sun 05-Oct-08 14:38:14

I would like to get my ds a trike havent decided whether to get it for his birthday (will be 2) or christmas. If anyone has any recommendations id would be very grateful.
TIA

swampster Sun 05-Oct-08 20:43:43

Kettler and Puky ones are v. good. DS1 had a Kettler Tricky Air (discontinued now) from two (the Air is the pneumatic tyres - v important for a smooth ride). It took him a while to get going on it but once he had the hang of it, there was no stopping him - half-hour+ journeys with the greatest of ease.

BUT DS2 is two-and-a-half and has been on a Mini-Micro Scooter for almost a year and they are truly amazing for the balance and mobility they give wee ones.

And since he turned two he's been on a balance bike - great for learning to ride a 'real' bike. The trike hasn't really had a look-in.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped the trike altogether.

ScotGirl Sun 05-Oct-08 21:20:44

I have the Mothercare one - don't get it - the wheels are too noisy and the noise drives you crazy after a short time.

If you do get one get rubber wheels or at least one that has a rubber strip. Also consider getting one second hand - I paid £15 glad I didn't waste my money.

They are a idea but the reality was we didn't get much use out of it - and we live right beside the park. He has never got the hang of the peddling and has too progressed to a balance bike which is just the best thing ever - he got it for his second birthday - it took a few months but now he is great on it - went a mile on it last weekend!!

I think if your son is going to be 2 is maybe a bit too old to get the max use out of a trike. My mum and dad got my ds his the balance bike - we though he was too young but he proved us wrong!

shelleylou Sun 05-Oct-08 21:25:59

he got a sit and ride for last christmas and is still used practically daily. I want to get him used to pedalling so can progress onto a bike.
A balance bike is a bike without pedals isnt it? I dont know a lot about them tbh

swampster Sun 05-Oct-08 21:34:06

As I said, if I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped the trike altogether...

The pedalling isn't the difficult thing about learning to ride a bike really, the balance is, which is why balance bikes are great.

They whizz along on them until one day (a fair bit down the line!) they get on a bike with pedals and away they go.

DS1 had his trike, no problems pedalling, had a bike with stabilizers, no worries, got on a bike without stabilizers (at four) and it was a real struggle.

But I have seen three-year-olds go straight from balance bikes to pedal bikes with no stabilizers.

shelleylou Sun 05-Oct-08 21:46:12

i thought of a trike as a step to a proper bike. Dont know a lot about balance bikes. Have you got any links to reasonablish priced ones?

LaundryFairy Sun 05-Oct-08 22:04:12

DS started with a balance bike - a really cool one that had good height adjustablility.

He went strait to a regular pedal bike - no stabilizer and he is not the most coordinated of kids. (and he never had got the hang of a tricycle, but it didn't hold him back at all)

This is the one we had. Sometimes you can pick them up second hand too. Cant' recommend it enough.

swampster Sun 05-Oct-08 22:04:34

Lots of different makes:

Likeabike (over £125+ so not reasonable at all!!!)

Islabike Rothan (£90, in my opinion the loveliest children's bikes - they hold their value really well second hand, too).

I hear Puky ones are excellent.

Halfords has some from about £45. Or a wooden one...

Tesco from £50.

Or try ebay.

swampster Sun 05-Oct-08 22:10:18

Sorry, LaundryFairy, that was a crosspost, not a dig - and Likeabikes ARE pretty gorgeous.

shelleylou Sun 05-Oct-08 22:11:12

Likeabike is well out of my price range as is islabike rothan. Will look at the other links. Had a look on Halfords and all the ones on that site are 3+ so would have to measure ds. Im going to go into the bike shops in town to see if they do them aswell

swampster Sun 05-Oct-08 22:14:03

Look at Puky - their stuff is truly fab compared to the other stuff.

shelleylou Sun 05-Oct-08 22:20:30

thanks swampster i will, want to know what sort of price im looking at so i can get it sorted as his birthday is in a month so got a chance of sorting it out for then if i want to

swampster Sun 05-Oct-08 22:25:00

Pukys are about £55 or £60 delivered.

bythepowerofgreyskull Sun 05-Oct-08 22:26:53

we have this one it is great.. has worked with 2 children and would easily keep going for alot more.

saltcod Sun 05-Oct-08 22:49:02

Another training bike here for under £40 inc. delivery

shelleylou Sun 05-Oct-08 23:12:39

thanks thats more my price range lol smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now