Talk

Advanced search

Football Trainers...anyone have knowledge please?

(11 Posts)
solo Sun 05-Oct-08 14:34:04

Ds needs some football trainers suitable for use on hard playground type surface. He's in 6x five a side tounaments and has proper football boots, but obviously these are not hard surface friendly. I have no idea where to start or what I'm looking for. Does anyone have knowledge of such things please? I have to go out today to get them so am really cutting time fine, so any help would be appreciated greatly. TIA

hughjarsssss Sun 05-Oct-08 14:35:38

Message withdrawn

WendyWeber Sun 05-Oct-08 14:35:58

Is there a Sports Direct (SportsWorld?) near you? Or a big JJB. They will have loads, Sports Direct usually pretty cheap too, as long as he isn't too picky about styles/brands etc.

(Astroturf trainers have small rubber bumps all over the sole)

Rubyrubyruby Sun 05-Oct-08 14:38:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WendyWeber Sun 05-Oct-08 14:44:15

3 types of football boots - soft ground, firm ground & hard ground:

<<Hard ground (HG) boots are for very hard natural surfaces. These outsoles will have a multiple stud configuration which consists of short low profile rubber studs which are very close together and normally will cover the whole sole, again these are non removable. This boot should be worn on pitches where there is very limited give in the surface. This is unlike firm natural surfaces which still has a reasonable degree of softness to allow a stud to sink in. These Hard ground boots are also suitable for Astro surfaces>>

astroturf is laid on a bed of sand & is still pretty hard, even though it's not paved.

solo Sun 05-Oct-08 14:51:27

Wow! so I thought astroturfs were no good for the job. I will nip down to the soccer shop. Dp gave Ds some money to get some, but I was hoping to use a credit note I have for Sports World...not sure if they are the same group now(I know they were the same shop before, but they changed the name on some of the shop fronts).
WW, which ones are you saying are suitable please? I've read your post several times, but can't work out if there's a recommendation there or not.

Thanks for quick replies!!!

WendyWeber Sun 05-Oct-08 14:52:57

The "hard ground" ones, solo - with the little rubber bumps all over - same thing as "astroturf trainers".

Sports World is the same co as Sports Direct I'm pretty sure - good luck smile

solo Sun 05-Oct-08 14:54:04

Thank you so much...I'm on my way!!! grin

solo Sun 05-Oct-08 16:45:16

Got them! and England shorts/top, socks and jacket. They took the credit note and I spent less that £5 cash! Happy son!

WendyWeber Sun 05-Oct-08 21:06:52

Excellent! We love Sports Direct (or whoever they are these days wink) - whenever we go, & whatever for (usually football boots or trainers) we end up spending at least £150 by the time we've finished, but we get loads & it's all really good value smile

SoloTheCharmedOne Sun 05-Oct-08 23:07:51

Yes, that's where we usually go, but I wasn't sure which type he'd need for tarmac. They were £6.00, there were some for £5.00 and £10.00 too.

Thanks for the advice WW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now