Talk

Advanced search

NCT Sales

(12 Posts)
nicolamumof3 Sun 05-Oct-08 12:54:54

Im not sure where i should have posted this, so thought i would try here. Im not a member of nct but my friend is as says non members can sell at their sales, so firstly is it worth it? What does it cost and how much should i expect to price things for?

I have about 6 big boxes of boys clothes from newborn-2yrs, then lots of baby equipment like steriliser, bottle warmer, monitors, bath seat, newborn bath support, maternity clothes etc, etc bebecar pram that is old but immaculate as never used the carrycot part that much. Is it worth going?? Only ask as would have to get hubby to take day off work and get childcare arranged!! Thanks xxx

CarGirl Sun 05-Oct-08 12:57:40

Yes it is worth it generally. If you do not help on the day (usually possible) you just have to drop the stuff off & collect the unsold items at the end so your dh wouldn't have to take the day off?

They take a percentage of your sale price.

Each branch does it slightly differently so it's best to contact your local branch and ask for a copy of their seller information and have a read through.

nicolamumof3 Sun 05-Oct-08 13:01:24

Thanks cargirl, going to look into it a bit more then xx

madamy Sun 05-Oct-08 13:02:09

They usually won't let you sell anything electrical, car seats are a def no and prams have to have full instructions with them and have a kite mark thingy.

Each branch 'charges' differently - ours is £3 registration, £5 deposit and 25% of each item sold. You usually have to help out at the sale if you are a seller. Anything not collected at the end becomes the property of NCt and you forfit your deposit

Items need to be in a very good condition.

Am doing one next Sat!

nicolamumof3 Sun 05-Oct-08 13:20:28

yep i've gone onto the website, and tried to complete the sellers registration form as theres 20 places left at the sale next month (wouldn't let me fill it in but i think its my computer!!) they take £2 registration and 30% but would much rather let them have it then ebay tbh!! And will be a good way to sell it. I have so many clothes to sell they are all immaculate and toys and bedding sleeping bags etc. they sell for you if you set it out, and have to collect whats left at 1, how much should i price clothes for im unsure? was thinking t-shirts/long sleeve's 50p and thicker tops/hoodies £1 and same for trousers or more? what about coats/snowsuits? some of the stuff is brand new!!

CarGirl Sun 05-Oct-08 13:31:14

your prices sound about right. You need to sell the stuff under 12 months cheap for it to go but over 12 months boys clothes sell well if they are still immaculate especially 18-24 month upwards £1 & £1.50 for jumpers and trousers. Coats £2.50 if you def want them to sell.

Make sure your clothing is seasonal. Sleepsuits/vests in packs of 3 or 5 or such like.

nicolamumof3 Sun 05-Oct-08 13:34:47

yep will bundle all the little bits together everything is immaculate..here is some of the stuff:
www.picturetrail.com/nicolajayne1975

PurpleFrog Tue 07-Oct-08 13:57:08

I've sold stuff at NCT sales twice before. They are great for selling clothes, books and small toys, but I don't think I would take big items as you would lose too much of the sale price on the 30% commission. There is also the chance that some items may go "missing".

I have sold bigger things locally through AdTrader, Tesco's in-store noticeboard, gumtree and £50 and under section in local paper.

I will be doing another NCT sale next month, and hope to get rid of all the baby/toddler clothes I have left.

Remember that you are competing against lots of other sellers. With the pricing, you have to decide whether you want to hold out for the price you think things are really worth, or try and shift as much stuff as possible, making more money from the sale of lots of items. I think I over-priced a lot first time round.

MingMingtheWonderPet Tue 07-Oct-08 14:01:16

Our local NCY run their sales like table top sales. You hire a table for £10 and then sell whatever you want and keep the cash. I made about £130 at the last one i did.
Things that went well 9and for a good price) were:
Re-useable nappies
Bumbo
Playpen
Toddler toys (buy cheap batteries from Pundland to show they work)
Galt playring
Stairgates
Steriliser

Clothes not as well, but washed, ironed and hung on a rail you will get rid of some.
Buggies did not sell well, saw a lot of people taking them home again.

busymummy77 Tue 07-Oct-08 14:21:37

I had never sold at one before but took in 5 boxes of toys Saturday just gone. Came back with about 5 toys so was really pleased. We had to pay a £3 reg fee and 25% of sales. Was great to get it out of the way all in one go and without the hassle of ebaying it. Just dropped it off in the morning and collected money and leftovers at 3.30. Would do again!

If you just want to get rid then price them cheaply. Min was £1 in my area.

nicolamumof3 Tue 07-Oct-08 15:03:28

ok won't bother with pram, i have a lovely steriliser but they won't take electrical things. I have to wait a month for a cheque i was worried about things going missing as i seriously have a LOT of stuff doing sales at two venues next month so will le tyou know how it goes!! Clothes will be going cheaply all around a £1 each for tops and bottoms i think thats cheap as they are all in good condition and all good makes, next gap etc (saving boden/monsoon for ebay!!)

nicolamumof3 Tue 07-Oct-08 15:07:52

and they take 30% as well, would have preferred to do a table top sale but they don't work like that here sad but i will just be relieved if it goes and i have a bit of spending money for xmas grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: