Talk

Advanced search

Thermos that you can fit an Avent Bottle in - does it exist?

(20 Posts)
Chuffed Wed 02-Mar-05 11:59:05

Hi
I'm sure I read somewhere that a way of heating up bottles on the go was to put them in a thermos of water. I've been trying to find a thermos which a bottle would fit in and am not having a lot of luck. Has anybody got something like this...it will be for travelling on buses mainly so sitting a bottle in the top of a normal thermos filled with hot water with dd on knees is just asking for an accident iykwim.

bundle Wed 02-Mar-05 12:00:24

mostly bfed, but never heated bottles up even when used expressed milk that was kept in the fridge.

Gobbledigook Wed 02-Mar-05 12:02:21

Could you put the bottle of warm water in the normal Avent cooler thing and then get one of those pots with dividers in to put the right amount of powder for each feed. Then you can just tip the powder into the water and shake and it should be the temp you want it.

Not sure if this really works as I've never done it but I'm sure friends of mine did this.

nailpolish Wed 02-Mar-05 12:04:05

what ive done is make a bottle at room temp and then put it in one of the avent bottle carrier things, and it stays at room temp for 4 hrs.

fine if baby drinks milk at room temp.

katierocket Wed 02-Mar-05 12:13:06

this is what I had
thermos
but what about this too?
bottle warmer

miffy2 Wed 02-Mar-05 12:21:24

I have the thermos that katierocket's link shows. I got it in Boots.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 02-Mar-05 12:24:16

What goobledigook suggests is a good idea. That way you don't have to worry about hot water etc. You just carry your pre-filled bottle and add the pre-measured powder. It's a great time saver

Annoyedtoday Wed 02-Mar-05 12:36:34

Hi Chuffed
I got one of these travel bottle warmer Sorry its not the best link - I couldnt find a better one.

Its a wide necked one especially designed for an Avent bottle
You wrap a special warming pad around the bottle and put it in the yellow holder - 20 mins before baby wants it you click a little button on the warming bit - this makes it go hard and warm!!!

To make it ready for use again you have to put in an electric steriliser (not microwave) or boil it for 20 mins

Its practically brand new (used 3 times) and boxed with instructions - Ds decided he wasnt really bothered whether his milk was warm as long as he could have it!!! Hes still greedy now LOL!

I paid £15 for it - from Boots - I will have to find out how much it will cost to send in order to decide how much to sell it for - the warmer bit is quite heavy!
CAT me if you would like it and we can work the details out

Annoyedtoday Wed 02-Mar-05 12:37:48

Oooooooops sorry - I posted under my annoyedtoday nickname - Im not normally annoyed honest! Im nice really!!!!!!!!!

Chuffed Wed 02-Mar-05 12:57:05

Thanks everyone, I saw those crystal bottle warmers in mothercare but I'm not sure how we will be able to recharge it to be honest. The scenario is that we are going to be backpacking for 10days in Turkey so was just planning to make up dd's drink with low mineral bottled water. We'd pre-measure the formula in the little containers and just pour the bottled water into her bottle when needed, add formula and then heat.
I thought it might be quite easy to get somewhere just to fill the thermos up with water for heating but we wouldn't use it for drinking at all. Maybe I'd seen what Katierocket has but thought you were putting the bottle in the thermos rather than the lid.

Sponge Wed 02-Mar-05 13:03:13

Boots sell a thermos based bottle warmer which will fit Avent bottles.

NotAnnoyednearlysomuch Wed 02-Mar-05 13:15:17

I hope you enjoy your holiday Chuffed!

If anyone else would like a travel bottle warmer I have one here for sale...........!

Surfermum Wed 02-Mar-05 13:26:18

I used to take a flask of hot water and the bottle in a cool box, then just use the cup of the flask to stand the bottle in to warm.

I wish I had read much earlier that you don't need to warm the milk though!

Chuffed Wed 02-Mar-05 13:49:31

Isn't it a pain. When we first moved to formula dd would drink it at room temperature but nursery heats it as standard and now she is used to it warm.

Carla Wed 02-Mar-05 13:53:29

Thermos do them - look in their restaurants and then on the Thermos website. Wish they were around 5 years ago - that crystal thing took ages to warm up a bottle ....

Ooophs ...... have admitted that I've been to a Debenhams restaurant

LittleRedRidingHood Wed 02-Mar-05 13:56:39

Thermos restaurants!!!!!

How old is she Chuffed? Could you persaude her that milk at nursery is warm but that milk elsewhere is cool/cold/chilly - Or if it has been in our rubbish fridge - very cold indeed!

Chuffed Wed 02-Mar-05 15:24:43

11mths and will be 1yr while we are away.

I'll have a wander through somewhere like John Lewis to see if they have anything.

Fennel Wed 02-Mar-05 15:33:28

I have one of those bottle warmers that Annoyedtoday mentioned (chuffed I'm just stalking you on all these travelling-with-babies threads ). it's a pain to heat. you have to boil it for ages and then it keeps the heat for ages but the boiling is a nuisance.

you could have it if you liked, for free. I was given it but don't use it as I just kept bf and dp couldn't be bothered with it. We found it far easier to get the baby used to room temperature milk - if she's had it before, she can get used to it again, and quickly if she has no choice. it saves an awful lot of hassle while travelling around I would really recommend just going for that.

tarantula Wed 02-Mar-05 15:48:11

I used a flask to warm dds bottles but she had tall thin bottles (wouldnt take Avent so jsut had a wide necked flask). The adventage of the flask over the ones where you pour the water into a cup is that the water stays hot and can be reused. Shes 13 mnths now and if out I give her ordinary milk and just add some water from the flask to heat it a bit. She doesnt seem to mind her milk being a bit watery so that helps. She wont drink it cold from a bottle (luckily only has one a day now) or a beaker but is quite happy to drink tiny amounts cold from an open cup (fussy moo that she is)

tarantula Wed 02-Mar-05 15:51:35

How about this Might need to check how wide the top is tho

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now