Talk

Advanced search

Where's the cheapest place to get logs?

(13 Posts)
GordonTheGopher Sat 04-Oct-08 14:38:36

I'm guessing it's not the £5-a-bag garden centres!

fryalot Sat 04-Oct-08 14:49:04

no, no, no, no NO!!!!

It varies from place to place though. The absolute best place to ask is your local pub with a log burning stove.

You can bet your life they've researched it to high heaven and they will be getting the best deal possible, so go with who they use.

If you don't have a local log-burning pub, or you don't frequent one, the best bet really is just word of mouth I'm afraid. You could ask at your local fireplace stockist, or coal merchant.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

sb6699 Sat 04-Oct-08 15:04:23

The only thing I have found about buying from a loggery is that you usually have to order a higher quantity and therefore need somewhere to store them.

In saying that, I have left them in the garden shed covered with tarp and they seem to be okay.

I have only started using my open fire this year (was worried about dd2 last year) so don't know if this is reasonable but have just spent £100 on logs which looks to be enough to see us through the worst of the winter.

If you are near Herts/Essex border, let me know and I'll dig out the number I have.

Tigerschick Sat 04-Oct-08 15:09:01

Depending on where you are I'd ask around and see if there is anyone who does deliveries. I've known of quite a few people who do logs by the pick-up load which is much cheaper than buying by the bag.

Alternatively, if you have, or can access, a chainsaw ... you could ask a local farmer if they have any dead trees you can have ... We get all our wood free because DH just finds a tree on the farm and cuts it up ... but I guess we're lucky.

TrinityRhino Sat 04-Oct-08 15:10:59

driftwood
fallen tress

NorbertDentressangle Sat 04-Oct-08 15:12:11

Check out the small ads in the back of your local paper.

Milliways Sat 04-Oct-08 15:37:41

We have an endless supply falling in our garden!

I would say ask any local tree surgeons as they are forever taking away whole trees.

Or ask neighbours - we have a whole shed full of the stuff & our neighbors often grab a bit.

Ripeberry Sat 04-Oct-08 15:43:46

We have a shed that we use just for drying.
All through summer we go to woodland and beaches where there is good car access and pick up wood.
Then by autumn the wood is dry enough to burn.
Also raid skips for any usefull bits of wood.

Overmydeadbody Sat 04-Oct-08 15:43:48

the wood?

tree surgeons and carpenters

cheesesarnie Sat 04-Oct-08 15:44:50

yellow pages will have loggy people in your area.

GordonTheGopher Sat 04-Oct-08 18:02:49

I'm in Reading. Thanks for all your answers. We haven't got that much storage but could put some in the shed.

SoupDragon Sat 04-Oct-08 18:06:23

Tree surgeon. Ours leaves piles outside the house he's worked on, tells people who ask where to collect them from and then comes for any leftovers. The logs are free.
He does ask if you mind leaving them outside for people to collect before he does this!

SoupDragon Sat 04-Oct-08 18:06:57

A "watned" ad on Freecycle may get some responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now