Talk

Advanced search

Mamas & Papas x-cel chassis

(13 Posts)
Twiga Tue 01-Mar-05 12:43:13

Dh and I have started looking at prams and like the look of the mamas & papas Ultima 3 in 1 combination. Have had a look at the different chassis and thinking about the x-cel chassis rather than the MPX one. I don't drive so would spend a lot of time walking and, on and off buses once baby arrives. Would be interested in hearing anyones experiences of this type of chassis, any pros and cons etc. Thanks!

tassis Tue 01-Mar-05 12:53:48

Hi Twiga. I love my ultima 3 in 1 and wanted to say a word in favour of the MPX chassis. It's fab! Easy to manoever in and out of shops and has a great shopping basket. From what I can see of the x-cel chassis on kiddicare (great website by the way) the x-cel one doesn't have swivel wheels. I found these fabulous and wouldn't be without them. I had a friend who had an older mamas and papas pushchair without swivel wheels and I remember trying to push it round John Lewis and it was a nightmare! Everytime you want to turn a corner you have to bump it up and down. MPX also copes well with muddy paths and country walks. Another thing I'd check out is it's overall size. It was fine getting my MPX on and off Aberdeen buses most times of the day, but I did take up a lot of room. I wonder if the x-cel is even bigger? On the plus side though I bet the x-cel chassis has a fabulous bounce and it does look great.

What fabric are you thinking? Is your dh not wanting a 3 wheeler?!

Have a great time looking. There's a fab pram shop in Inverurie that stocks Mamas and Papas and they're great at talking you through it all. If you're down in Glasgow you should check out the Pram Centre (also has a web-site and they price match the internet).

Hope to see you soon.

Twiga Tue 01-Mar-05 13:02:41

Hey Tassis, my main attraction to the x-cel is the fact that with the carry-cot bit on it looks like an old fashioned pram - which I love, big wheels the lot. Am bit worried about the lack of swivel though.

Dh would love a three wheeler but I haven't seen any that have really nice pram type attatchments - don't like the whole car seat on top of buggy thing. However our friends who are expecting very soon have one so maybe he could just have a shot at that one .

Fabric we're thinking Boardwalk, although dh really likes Retro sport too - only prob is that is two tone blue, maybe a bit boyish? Might just let him have the last word on that though particularly if he has to give up on the whole three wheeler idea.

How was your weekend?

tassis Tue 01-Mar-05 13:10:54

I know what you mean about the old fashioned thing. It does look great. I absolutely loved the carrycot bit and wouldn't have been without it.

Can you try out a non-swivel one from anyone? If not see if there's one in John Lewis and take if for a long walk around the shop! Maybe it won't bother you.

SO what have our pregnant friends gone for?

tassis Tue 01-Mar-05 13:13:46

Jane powertrack and Bebecar have 3 wheelers with carrycots. Have you seen them?

Like your fabric choices. I think they'd be fine for a boy or girl.

Twiga Tue 01-Mar-05 13:16:46

Our friends have gone for this 3-wheeler

Twiga Tue 01-Mar-05 13:21:22

Hadn't seen them but will google them out of fairness to Dh - have to say haven't looked too hard as have had pretty fixed idea for ages, really should learn to share . Still I expect much fun will be had when choosing baby-monitors, which will def be left to dh!

Don't know anyone with a non-swivel, but am going to the baby show in Glasgow with my mum this weekend ans was gong to see if there was one there I could try. Failing that Dh has surgical exams in Edinburgh in April and has promised we can call into Glasgow pram centre and Mamas & Papas on the way home - exams in the morning, shopping in the afternoon

Twiga Tue 01-Mar-05 19:09:38

Bumping for the evening rush!

Twiga Tue 01-Mar-05 19:52:40

bump again

Waswondering Wed 02-Mar-05 16:32:06

Twiga- my friend chose the Jane Powertrack 360 over the MCare one, as there was a significant weight difference (and she's quite wee), which she was concerned about. The Jane was much lighter.

Her only gripe about the Jane is that at toddler stage, the seat is fairly reclined and not as upright as the M&P option. Not a prob - her toddler is quite happy to sit back and watch the world go by, but she likes the more upright version.

The other place to look is the pram place in Cults - Little Botique. If you have a look at the back page of the AMH booklet you'll see they have a discount voucher too.

Good luck!!

hatmum Wed 09-Mar-05 09:30:40

The 2 3-wheelers of which I've had experience (pushing other people's) was that when covered in baby clobber they would fall backwards really easily - not the most confidence inspiring!

blueteddy Wed 09-Mar-05 18:12:04

I had a Mamma's & pappa's pram with the fixed bouncy wheels for my ds.
I went for it because I liked the look of it, but it was not that easy to manoever, as because it does not have swivel wheels you have to lift the back up every time you turn a corner.
I do not drive & within 5 months I had bought a light weight buggy, as the M&P is not at all compact (the body & chassis are seperate when folded) & I found it a nightmare to go shopping with!
I hardly used it at all with ds2, because trying to manoever it with a buggy board on the back gave me terrible arm ache!
I have since bought a mammas & pappas pliko, which is great for public transport & shopping & a maclaren buggy, which has had the most use of all, as it is so lightweight & easy to fold!
On the plus side, the big wheels on the M&P do look the part!!!

blueteddy Wed 09-Mar-05 18:14:37

BTW, I would have NEVER attempted using the big M&P on public transport!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now