Talk

Advanced search

Sling/baby wearers...when it rains...

(28 Posts)
solo Wed 01-Oct-08 00:48:20

If you wear your baby/toddler on your back, how do you keep them dry when it rains?

I'm thinking of trying to walk more to get shot of some of this extra weight, so thought toddler wearing would be like a mini work out. Obviously, I don't want Dd to be wet, cold or uncomfortable during the colder seasons. Is there a way of covering them up whilst they're on your back and mum not look like Quasimodo? anyone had experience of this please or got any tips?
TIA.

hatrick Wed 01-Oct-08 00:51:08

Message withdrawn

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 00:55:42

My Dd is 21 months, so not so easily tucked in. I think she(and the sling)will get quite wet in rainfall.

Thanks for answering though

hatrick Wed 01-Oct-08 00:59:27

Message withdrawn

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 01:16:04

Yes, I'll have to have a look.

I'll have to invest in some waterproof fabric and get sewing wink can I interest you hatrick? grin

Yeni Wed 01-Oct-08 10:29:57

You can get a special babywearing rain poncho with 3 hoods so that you can have a baby on your front or back, or both, while looking like you have 3 heads. I've bought a cheap poncho from Lidl for £6.99 and I'm going to cut a hole in it for DS's head.

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 10:36:43

Did you buy that Lidl one recently Yeni?
Also, any idea where you can get the proper baby wearing ones? are they expensive?
Thanks for answering btw.

Fizzylemonade Wed 01-Oct-08 10:36:46

Large golf style umbrella! I actually used to carry ds2 on my front when it rained up until he was 2. He used to help hold the umbrella.

I did look into buying those special coats but I came to baby wearing late, if ds2 had been my first I would have bought it.

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 10:44:27

Fizzy, I've carried Dd on and off since she was about 3 months and stopped for a while when she got to about 15 months. I now want to try to get fitter and lose some of this post baby flab I have gained and thought that walking the school run with the extra weight would be a good work out. I don't want to spend loads of money on new gear because I don't have any money to spend, but neither do I want to have her get wet and cold on my back(or get the sling wet(it's a Wilkinet, so padded)as it would not dry easily. I couldn't put her on my front, she'd break my back, so I couldn't tuck her into a big jacket. Oh! I hate umbrella's too!

MrsBadger Wed 01-Oct-08 11:07:38

when dd was still in a pouch or wrap on my front I used an umbrella (and was the envy of the soggy buggy-pushers with hoods and raincovers dripping everywhere)

might work with a soft back carrier too

Wilkinet do a dedicated one but nowhere seems to have it in stock - would this do?

Yeni Wed 01-Oct-08 12:13:47

I got the Lidl one about 3 weeks ago so they might still have them in stock.

I think the proper babywearing one is about £40 but it is currently out of stock everywhere so I don't know if it has been discontinued.

I emailed Wilkinet a while ago about their carrier cover and they said they are currently trying to find a new manufacturer to make it for them and they should be back in stock this Autumn.

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 12:36:41

Oooh! thanks MrsBadger, they look good!
Been thinking I might attempt to make one!hmm

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 12:37:47

Thanks Yeni, I'll try to get into Lidl this week and see what they have in there too.

preggersplayspop Wed 01-Oct-08 12:40:22

I used an umbrella with my DS (17 mo) on my back. He is very keen to hold it though and we end up having a battle of wills as he tries to grab it from me and I try to wrestle it back from him!

littlefrog Wed 01-Oct-08 12:42:59

I've got something called Suse's Kindercoat, which is great. It's in two main bits, a fleece and a rainproof that velcro together. In the back is a vent that unzips, and the baby's head goes through. If you're front-carrying/pregnant, there's an insert for the front (again with a second hood, like at the back).

I like it, and am pleased we bought it, BUT:
it's not super-rainproof (am going to query this, actually, to see if it's a problem just with mine)
it's also not great for really heavy rain (nothing will be) because the rain gets in down the hole out of which baby's head pokes

But it was a complete godsend on our wet summer holiday, DS was fine inside it for hours at a time (was 17 months then), and the anorak bit balls up small.

Sold by bitsforbairns (and other places)

This but it is ££££££££££££££££££

Wilkinett one

This is nice

I know they are not in stock but big mama is very helpful, give her a ring and she might be able to tell you when she'll have them in.

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 13:10:51

I like the last one WTWTW, but at £35, is beyond my budget.
The Wilkinet one would probably be undone and discarded by Dd, so not sure about that(and I think it's ugly).

Hmmm I agree about the wilkinet one, not sure they would like being in the dark either!

Personally I put a light waterproof mac on them a carry a big brolly.

I also try to avoid going out if it is raining!

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 13:20:57

Littlefrog, they are lovely, but really very pricey. Thanks for the info though. There must be other baby wearers that will be able to use this info.

cmotdibbler Wed 01-Oct-08 14:40:52

I carry DS (28 months) in a Toddlerhawk or TaiTasi and we just use a big umbrella. He thinks its very funny.

If you don't mind the sling getting wet, you can just stuff them in an all in one waterproof and wellies, which works fine too.

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 15:06:41

I think I'm going to have a go at making a sling that will dry easily and as you say, put Dd into an all in one suit to keep her warm and dry.
I'm really not in a position to buy anything of great expense, so this may be the easier and cheaper option as I already have fabrics...Just need a waterproof all in one.

elmoandella Wed 01-Oct-08 15:26:51

you get things like this ergo papoose coat
www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/lifestyle/

but personally they are hideous.

we just put on waterproof all in one snowsuit type thing for wee one. and umbrella.

when it's hot but rainy then just one of those playsuit things you get from mothercare that are padded but are waterproof.

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 17:27:15

Ugh! yes horrible...

AccidentalMum Wed 01-Oct-08 19:36:55

I swear by my SuseKinder Poncho....try French websites perhaps? Or put out an 'In Search Of' post on a suitable forum? DD1 threads herself into it fine, but I would be interested to know when people start back carrying with a babywearing garment....can't imagine getting DD2's head out on my own hmm

solo Wed 01-Oct-08 22:36:16

Well, that'd be another thing I guess...SuseKinder are quite expensive aren't they? will have to forego it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now