Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So what's so bad about bumbo seats?

(36 Posts)
shoedweller Mon 29-Sep-08 15:30:12

A colleague of my husband made a remark that we shouldn't be using one and that I should know better because I'm a doctor. DH never dug deeper to find out what the problem is. I use when baby needs a burp and I need my hands free briefly to deal with older two.

MsHighwater Mon 29-Sep-08 15:32:59

Nothing wrong with them, ime. We used one with dd. Of course, I wouldn't have put her in it for ages - perhaps this is what was meant - but short periods is fine. I know of nothing to suggest otherwise.

peanutbutterjelly Mon 29-Sep-08 15:35:21

would have liked to use one, but my lo only lasted a month in them. Apparently in Canada they are banned, coz they decrease spinal growth or something like that.

MatNanPlus Mon 29-Sep-08 15:35:32

Pass, like any baby appliance short time periods of usage is fine.

Some peoplehave issueswith door bouncers, exersaucers, bouncy chairs, beanbag seats etc.

It seems that use of the above for upto 30 minutes 2-3 times a day is fine.

wonderstuff Mon 29-Sep-08 15:37:44

My friend is a pediatric nurse and recommended them to us! They use them in the childrens ward all the time! Sadly dd didn't like hers.

savetheplanetdontiron Mon 29-Sep-08 15:40:01

skinny kids can (and do fall out of them) - my DD1 could never be wedged in. on the other hand her porky little sister with rubby player thighs loved it and was as safe as houses. It doesn't help them to sit earlier just props them up for a bit which is nice for them when they are getting bored lying down.

All things in moderation and all that - if you leave the baby in it all day then of course it wouldn't be good but then I am assuming that you have twigged that's not a good idea grin.

The worst thing IMO is they are overpriced. I bought second/third hand and flogged it on.

shoedweller Mon 29-Sep-08 15:44:01

Thanks for that. I feel reassured. I think they're great. Ours was Ebay btw and will be back on Ebay shortly.

cmotdibbler Mon 29-Sep-08 15:44:44

I think the basic problems are: people put babies who aren't ready to sit up in them (IMO the baby should be able to sit with a small amount of support before you use them), many babies can topple themselves out of them, and people put them on worksurfaces/tables etc

shoedweller Mon 29-Sep-08 15:49:14

Why should they be nearly sitting already. If they can hold their head then how is it so very different from them sitting on your lap supported by you?

cmotdibbler Mon 29-Sep-08 16:15:10

Because sitting is about recruiting all sorts of muscles - not just about head control. You wouldn't sit a baby upright on your lap for long periods if you had to really hold them would you ?

I, personally, don't believe in devices that get babies to do things beyond their development like walkers, bumbos, or whatever as it seems best that they do things at their own rate.

AllBuggiedOut Mon 29-Sep-08 16:26:56

PeanutButterJelly - do you have a reference for that?

Bumbos aren't necessarily about doing things "beyond their development"; if they are developmentally ready for sitting supported in a bumbo then they're ready (and they'll certainly let you know the minute they get uncomfortable!) I think they're very useful, albeit for a limited period of time (although my 5 year old DS still likes to wedge himself in every so often). DS3 (7 1/2 months) is not stable enough sitting for me to feed him unsupported, and using the bumbo means he is comfortable and supported and I have my hands free to feed him and help his older brothers. I don't at all see that I am trying to get him to do something "beyond" himself.

CarGirl Mon 29-Sep-08 16:27:08

It's to do with the angle, it puts their thighs up higher than there hips because they are angled rather than flat. Again for short periods of time they are fine but over used could/would have a negative affect.

peanutbutterjelly Mon 29-Sep-08 17:59:38

no.. sorry no reference.. a friend mentioned it to me. But have just googled it, and see that 1 million bumbo seats were recalled for safety reasons in the US.

AllBuggiedOut Mon 29-Sep-08 18:32:00

The recall was just to do with misuse and potential misinterpretation of instructions (ie people putting them on raised surfaces) as I understand, so not really anything to do with spinal development. There's at least one online Canadian retailler selling them, so I suspect your friend was misinformed, PBJ.

Do you know any more, CarGirl? I'm genuinely interested to know if these seats can cause any damage (when used properly, of course). Ta.

CarGirl Mon 29-Sep-08 18:54:00

I can't remember who told me but she said sit upright and then plonk your thighs on a cushion or so each - how comfortable is it? VAlid point I thought, it's not a position we would every naturally adopt.

AllBuggiedOut Mon 29-Sep-08 19:40:48

Comfort and potential damage are very different things, though. And I would expect my babies to let me know pretty sharpish if they were uncomfortable, wouldn't you?!

nicolamumof3 Mon 29-Sep-08 20:00:06

yep, agree shortish periods are fine, both ds2 and ds3 enjoyed it (I had a bebepod, but same sort of thing) x

CarGirl Mon 29-Sep-08 20:02:47

I can't remember what she said the danger was whether it was to the ligaments or the hip joints but it was definate that these things if over used were not good rather than uncomfortable.

LIZS Mon 29-Sep-08 20:04:15

The recall was to do with some packaging (in SA and North America) which didn't specify not using on raised surfaces. There were some toppling accidents.

lilysmummy2007 Mon 29-Sep-08 20:07:26

my dd love hers, but i only put her in it after shec was able to sit unaided, and only for short periods, now she pulls it out herself and sits in it, she seems to like it and there are no proven disadvantages, and also never put her in for longer than a meal etc

AllBuggiedOut Mon 29-Sep-08 20:09:49

Humm, I think we are going round in pseudo-scientific circles here...

sasamax Mon 29-Sep-08 22:16:58

We can't judge a baby's comfort by our own - are we comfortable lying on our backs with our feet in our mouths??? grin

madrose Mon 29-Sep-08 22:18:59

my cat loves the bumbo, so does dd 3.5 years

Kewclotter Mon 29-Sep-08 22:21:32

anyone who can't work out that balancing a baby in a bumbo on a raised surface and leaving them is going to be severely challenged raising a child to adulthood.

IMVHO.

thumbwitch Mon 29-Sep-08 22:30:13

I agree with cmotdibbler; but also, the bunbo is shaped for the curve of a baby's back before it starts to develop the more mature spinal curvature, with the lumbar curve going in; so if you use it before the baby is ready to sit by itself (i.e. when the spinal curvature of the baby matches the bumbo) then you are not encouraging the development of the more mature spinal curvature which could lead to later back problems. Similarly if used when the baby is able to sit by themselves, it will encourage a rounded back posture, not the correct lumbar curve. And having knees higher than hips will also encourage this.

The correct way for anyone past babyhood to sit is pretty much on the thighs - to encourage this, having the knees about 1" lower than the hips allows the pelvis to tilt forwards from the top, giving the correct lumbar curve. Rolling back onto the buttocks puts more pressure on the base of the spine and allows the lumbar curve to 'deform'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now