Talk

Advanced search

anyone recently bought a FAB travel system with carry cot for £400?

(17 Posts)
mad4mybaby Thu 25-Sep-08 18:20:05

Struggling with what to get... In laws are paying but only up to £400. I want a travel system so pushchair, car seat and i also want a carry cot that is ok to sleep in that can be taken off and put on your front room floor for example (not one of those soft liner things)

anyone advise?

bogie Thu 25-Sep-08 18:28:14

I would go for a second hand good condition bugaboo frog or cam like this one cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUGABOO-FROG-IN-BLACK-WITH-MAXI-COSI-CAR-SEAT_W0QQitemZ330273018100QQcmdZViewItem?has h=item330273018100&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
I have a cam it cost us £725 for all of it and you could get one like this off ebay for about £300

carrielou2007 Thu 25-Sep-08 19:58:19

Could not agree more, bugaboo every single time!! I borrowed my sister's MPX (mamas and papas with carrycot bit for pram/sleeping, converts to pushchair) for a few weeks as did not realise my quinny buzz would need the carrycot as well as seat unit says from birth but does not lie flat for newborn.

Hated the buzz so bought a bug cam. I was a bit sniffy being my PFB about buying second hand but would have saved so much money if I had.

Silver cross do similar with a carrycot etc, the only thing is do you walk everywhere or drive as most of the big travel systems need to be taken apart in pieces and is such a pain. When little one is a few months old then you can get a buggy to sling in the back of the car.

mad4mybaby Thu 25-Sep-08 21:02:07

i really dont know what to do. this isnt even my first dc just really undecided whats best. The only reason i want a carry cot is for the baby to have some where to sleep down stairs during the day.... Dont have enough room to put up a travel cot and a moses basket will last 6 weeks if we're lucky....

MrsBadger Thu 25-Sep-08 21:20:22

I have a Maclaren MX3 - cheap, ace carrycot but no carseat so get it seperately.

Or consider also the Chicco Trio thus

Remember a carrycot isn't actually much bigger than a moses basket so won't last much longer - I used to put dd 'loose' on a playmat on the floor to sleep but this travel cot is smaller than most if you need to have something to keep off the older dcs.

charitas Thu 25-Sep-08 22:11:16

My hauck infinity does all3 for under 300 am very happy with it www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_344_10751_-1__16178_10001_

mad4mybaby Fri 26-Sep-08 08:01:29

funny you should say that, i started another thread asking others what they thought of hauck travel system as found on online.... hasnt had great reviews, some people have said theres has fallen apart after a few months?!

theirmum Fri 26-Sep-08 08:13:54

Have you thought about a mamas & papas Luna you can get the pushchair, carseat and carrycot for under £350 here some funky colours and people seem to really like the latest model

mad4mybaby Fri 26-Sep-08 12:55:27

when we went in m&p shop none of their carrycots seemed stable enough to use without it being on the base and that is what i want it for..

hazygirl Fri 26-Sep-08 12:57:25

silver cross sleepover i found brill and comfyx

mad4mybaby Fri 26-Sep-08 13:37:27

www.silvercross.co.uk/sleepover_deluxe_classic_chassis.php

do you mean this one? does the carrycot sit on a normal moses basket stand?

lillypie Fri 26-Sep-08 15:07:46

I don't know why you think a moses basket will only last 6 weeks.My nearly 9lb DD slept happily in a moses basket until she was almost 6 months.

misdee Fri 26-Sep-08 15:09:50

get a car seat to fit your car,. not the buggy.

then look at a buggy to suit your lifestyle.

dd1 was in her moses basket for ages, dd2 was bigger and longer (pic in profile) and was in it for a matter of weeks. dd3 was in moses basket for ages as well.

elkiedee Fri 26-Sep-08 15:16:29

I would see if you can get a travel system with carrycot secondhand or even free off freecycle - my mum got us two from freecycle. Then you could ask your inlaws to buy you a buggy and carseat and maybe a carrycot mattress new, £400 should more than cover it. I know they grow out of first carseats sooner but then you can have a buggy that you'll get more use out of. Neither I nor my stepsister used our travel systems (and she spent £500) for much more than 6 months, although I did cling to the pram for a while.

Mitchell81 Fri 26-Sep-08 15:30:47

I have a quinny speedi with carrycot and carseat and you can use the carrycot for them to sleep in and carry it around-no stand though.

hazygirl Fri 26-Sep-08 16:37:06

yes thats the sleepover we have.choice of 2 chassis,i prefer bouncy classic,my dd prefers linear chassic,it comes complete with stand a d you can fit car seat on,love itx

mad4mybaby Fri 26-Sep-08 18:33:43

ds1 was 7lb 7 and was in moses basket no more than 2 weeks..... so i dont think it goes down to weight.. he was long but also he hated being swaddled and used to frit about coz he didnt like his hands and feet bashing on the sides and carry cots are bigger. Just trying to reduce any could be problems. I am thinking more at the mo to get pram with car seat and buy second hand carry cot off ebay or something. Its just that we made such a mistake with ds1 travel system (first baby) that i really dont want to regret the one we get this time! You know a travel system that has its own chassis and you click on the pram bit, carry cot etc, when you fold them down to put in your boot can you keep the pram bit attached to it or do you have to take it off every time it goes in the boot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now