Talk

Advanced search

duplo for ds, which set is best?

(12 Posts)
fairy15 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:56:47

am going to get ds some duplo for xmas as he loved his megablocks but is ready for something smaller now. he will be just over 2 & half when its xmas. have been looking about & like the look of the farm one. is this any good? what ones have your little ones enjoyed playing with? thanx

SoupDragon Thu 25-Sep-08 13:58:26

I'd probably just get one of the buckets of bricks TBH.

MuffinMclay Thu 25-Sep-08 14:08:29

I'd go for a themed one (farm, vehicles, boats, etc). Ds1 (2.5) has the bucket of bricks (probably got it about a year ago) and is a bit bored with it now; it is quite limited in what you can do with it.

belgo Thu 25-Sep-08 14:09:39

Most of our duplo is second hand, that way you can get a really good mixture without paying a fortune for it.

I would get a box of bricks and a couple of small sets, but even that costs a lot.

bamboo Thu 25-Sep-08 14:12:33

My ds(3) loves his sister's Lego. I would agree with MuffinMclay about Duplo being limited for that age. If you don't think he'll cope with Lego yet maybe leave it until his birthday?

fairy15 Thu 25-Sep-08 14:16:51

i know can't belive how much it is for how little you get. think i'll get a farm a box & something else for him then he'll have a few more bits to play with. thanx everyone.

MuffinMclay Thu 25-Sep-08 14:50:43

Thinking about this a bit moe, I agree with bamboo. I'd wait a little while longer and just go straight to proper Lego.

MuffinMclay Thu 25-Sep-08 14:51:03

more blush

tassisssss Thu 25-Sep-08 14:54:56

have to say duplo's been a HUGE hit in our house and ds (age 5) still enjoys playing with it. We bought big box of it on ebay for about a tenner and it's great - lots of vehicle/people/animals are key IMO. And do buy a big base too for builing on.

tassisssss Thu 25-Sep-08 14:56:10

disagree about going straight to lego. Ds is 5 and only just getting into lego but can't really do it with his younger siblings whereas duplo's a nice thing for him to do with his wee sister.

fairy15 Thu 25-Sep-08 15:23:27

thought about lego as i loved it when growing up but i have a 10 month old also so don't want those tiny bit falling into the wrong hands! shock

belgo Thu 25-Sep-08 16:00:09

My dd1 is four and a half and still plays with duplo, we tried her with lego but it is so small and fiddly, it's very fustrating.

But it helps that we do have a wide collection of duplo - from second hand shops mostly - bob the builder set , winnie the pooh set , a house, police, helicopter, boat, ferrari car sets. I still like playing with itblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now