Talk

Advanced search

What's the difference between Tesco Extra and Tesco Express?

(15 Posts)
forevared Wed 24-Sep-08 13:19:28

Going on our hols on Friday and been on the Tesco website trying to find if there's a supermarket nearby. Apparantly there is a Tesco Express.

Now my Tesco's (never bothered to look before now, I thought Tesco was just Tesco) is an Extra. Is there a difference then and what is it?

PoorOldEnid Wed 24-Sep-08 13:20:05

tesco express is like a 'corner shop' eg small, limited range

extra is MAHOOSIVE like my local one

SoupDragon Wed 24-Sep-08 13:20:07

Express is usually a small one at, say, a petrol station. Extra is one that sells stuff like TVs I think.

Tigerschick Wed 24-Sep-08 13:21:31

They are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

You might be able to get most of what you need for a holiday in an Express, but I wouldn't rely on it.

more Wed 24-Sep-08 13:21:45

extra is open 24 hours and have everything.
express is more "office hours".

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 13:22:27

Message withdrawn

Tigerschick Wed 24-Sep-08 13:24:04

Really Fio shock I thought it was the same across the board!
That's pretty bad because you would expect it to be the same as it's all the same company.

forevared Wed 24-Sep-08 13:24:07

oh dear! Thanks guys.

southeastastra Wed 24-Sep-08 13:30:09

tesco express takes over corner shops
tesco extra takes over the high street

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 13:31:18

Message withdrawn

BexieID Wed 24-Sep-08 13:37:27

Express is dearer as they are petrol station stores. Same with Morrisons and the M&S ones at BP. Same with any petrol station shop, lol!

BexieID Wed 24-Sep-08 13:38:29

I work in a Tesco Metro and we had some TVs, so not just Extras, lol.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 13:39:18

Message withdrawn

BexieID Wed 24-Sep-08 13:52:24

Bang went that theory, lol. I know the spend threshold for the computer/sports for schools voucher is only £5 in Express stores.

cupcakesinthesnow Wed 24-Sep-08 13:57:55

At the 2 Expresses (not in petrol stations, just normal shops) I have used in the past around the area, I have noticed that they stock very different products. I kid you not - at one Tesco Express near a council estate they have a huge stock of cakes and multi pack crisps and you almost trip over the beer and other alcohol in the aisles where the shelves are already full whereas at another one in a more affluent area they stock chilled prawns and Tesco Finest belgian choc cookies (the ones that are about £2 a pack for 5 biscuits!) And hardly any crisps other than the giant packs of Kettle Chips type things. I did wonder if someone did some proper research or just made gross assumptions about the stock in different areas! So I would say that depending on the area the 'Express' is in will depend on the products they stock!

Incidently another Tesco Express I used to use on the way to the gym always had a much bigger selection of medicines ie ibuprofen, paracetamol, anti histimines, calamine etc etc and cereal bars than the other ones. Hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now