Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about mixers/food processors - I have qs and need reccomendations!

(50 Posts)
CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:11:04

Now
I have never had a food processor
I have a little hand held mixer that is at least 1000 years old and the motor is going

I still do all cakes, pastry, chopping etc by hand

DH has at last agreed to buy me something along these lines for my bday (he is v anti getting things like this for bday pressies but I have pointed out that there are only so many earrings etc that a girl can have!)

SO my qs

1. Can you get a combined food processor/mixer? Or do I get them singly

2. What do you actually use a food processor for?? Tell me your best time saving tips.

3. Does it taste as good if you make pastry for eg in food processor

4. What are the best makes. Kitchenaid look nice but are they actually good?

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:12:13

(Oh i do have teeny thing that I used to make dd's purees when little)

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 11:14:34

Message withdrawn

ranting Wed 24-Sep-08 11:15:45

I have a Kenwood processor and a Kenwood Chef and I love and use both. I find the processor makes better pastry than by hand, as long as you don't over do it (just pulse until it comes together). And the mixer comes in handy for whipping cake batters, mixing fruit cakes etc.

Be aware though Kenwoods aren't particularly trendy but I love mine, would not swap for a kitchenaid, they are not as substantial as good old Ken Wood.

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:16:17

Ah yes kenwood chefs
I had forgotten about those

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 11:16:27

Message withdrawn

Carmenere Wed 24-Sep-08 11:17:21

I have this and it comes with a processor attachment but I han't used the processor bit yet. Mixer is good though tbh I would prefer a kitchenaid mixer as they are v tough and good for doing bread dough.

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:19:51

so this for eg says: in this great value pack is the KM010 Chef a free AT338 Glass Liquidiser AT640 Food Processor Attachment and a Splashguard

What is a food processor attachemnt??

ranting Wed 24-Sep-08 11:20:32

Fio they still come with a metal bowl (and weigh a bloody ton) so good to know that mine may last for years.

<<dreamy visions of passing on old Ken Wood to dd>>

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:20:35

What is the diff between the one I linked to and yours carm??

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:20:39

What is the diff between the one I linked to and yours carm??

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 11:21:03

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:22:03

is it?

I am totally clueless
it;s a minefield

argh

maybe I should opt for something else!

ComeOVeneer Wed 24-Sep-08 11:22:04

I am getting a kitchenaid for christmas, love the retro style. I have a hand held mixer atm which works but isn't fab. Also have a food processor with a liquidiser and various disc attachements. TBH I tend to use my hand held blender, mandolin, and manual mincer more than the food processor, as it is so big and a hassle to set up/clean etc.

ranting Wed 24-Sep-08 11:22:04

Food processor attachment is a food processor bowl that fits on the top bit, presumably where the blender goes on mine.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 11:22:09

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:23:30

ah yes
Would I use a food processor
that is an issue
I am stuck in my ways

Maybe should just get a mixer
Who has used kenwood and kitchenaid and can tell me which is best?

ComeOVeneer Wed 24-Sep-08 11:24:43

Oh you can get a sausage attachment and mincer, juicer etc for kitchenaid grin

ranting Wed 24-Sep-08 11:24:53

CD, mine is an older version of that KM010 and I love it, it is great. Very good exercise for your bingo wings too, it is solid to say the least.

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:25:17

I have a juicer

ranting Wed 24-Sep-08 11:25:30

COV, you can get that for the Kenwood too.

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:25:47

omg
how do you know about my bingo wings??? wink

ranting Wed 24-Sep-08 11:26:39

<<waves KW at FioFio>>

Want it? Well you can't have itgrin

MUM23ASD Wed 24-Sep-08 11:26:58

Mixer for cakes

processor for chopping Onions, Grating cheese, making breadcrumbs with 'left over/stale' bread (all of which you can do in 'bulk' and freeze- ready for those times when you need it but cannot be bothered to get out the processor)

processor maked fab pastry (i use 'pulse setting' too. Melts in mouth!!! No effort!

AND talking of 'melt in mouth'... BISCUITS aand COOKIES made in a processor are DELICIOUS!!!!

CountessDracula Wed 24-Sep-08 11:28:07

You see I like (and am good at) chopping htings
I have a cheese grater and my mini thing makes breadcrumbs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now