Talk

Advanced search

Volvo XC90 v Audi Q7

(23 Posts)
muffinchops Tue 23-Sep-08 14:29:27

I know these posts are always controversial re gas guzzling badly driven 4x4s but are there any drivers out there of either the XC90 or Q7 who can give me some pros and cons of their cars.

We currently drive an Audi A6 but are contemplating dc no.3 and often give lifts to friends etc hence need for a 7 seater.

Have test driven both. Driving style of the Q7 is slicker and more powerful but it seems disproportionately massive on the outside to the inside. XC90 spacious inside and not so big overall and seems a little more 'discreet' is you can say that about a 4x4 (!?!) although heavier to steer/manoeuvre.

Any guidance/input on these cars would be hugely appreciated (especially how do you find them parking in supermarkets etc.)

murphyslaw Tue 23-Sep-08 15:13:12

we test drove the xc90 and found it was very heavy to handle. Also 2 rear seats only suitable for kids up to about age of 10! Which was a real downside as my eldest is 12!

We ended up with a 5 seater BMW X5 which is lovelllly wink

OneLieIn Tue 23-Sep-08 15:21:33

I have an XC90 and love it! I bought it because I wanted 7 seats where the seats folded flat into the floor. It is very practical, not heavy to drive and mine has great fuel efficiency of 36+ mpg.

Parking is fine, it has rear sensors so I always reverse in. The two rear seats are great, kids use them a lot, but we have had adults in there too.

I have never used an Audi, so no clue.

bluesky Wed 24-Sep-08 12:04:26

I would say exactl y the same as oneliein.

the audi just looks so gi-normous!

my fuel efficiency has got greater the longer I've had it, aged 3 years old it drives much better than it did at the start.

poppy34 Wed 24-Sep-08 12:06:40

someone told me that q7 is actually built on same production line as the touareg -any reason why you have not test driven that as aren't they saem sort of price range as q7.

I know next door have an xc90 which they are very happy with - there is a q7 in next road -seat sapace doesnt look different to the xc90 but somehow it seems to take up half the road.

PoorOldEnid Wed 24-Sep-08 12:06:59

the audi is lauhghabley mashoosive

but very bling

xc90 more sloany if that kind of thing matters to you

x5 probably the bst of that bunch but a bit wankerish

(i have a fiat multipla btw which has 6 full size adult seats so we fit 3 kids and mates in no probs but you probably arent interested)

poppy34 Wed 24-Sep-08 12:07:19

meant tos ay same price range as xc90 not q7 which suffers from audiitis (nice car but bit overpriced for what it is imho)

OneLieIn Wed 24-Sep-08 12:07:57

Enid, I felt like the pope in his popemobile when I drove a multipla!

poppy34 Wed 24-Sep-08 12:08:12

also there is a 7 seat qashqai out - ok not as bling but prob does same job for a lot less and if it has same features as the original qashqai will be safe, fuel efficient etc etc

PoorOldEnid Wed 24-Sep-08 12:08:57

lol yes

i love it although they are a bit FIAT (fix it again toni)

poppy34 Wed 24-Sep-08 12:08:58

I think there is a multipla owners club in italy..its a bit of a cult thing? I love them -they are just so different looking

PoorOldEnid Wed 24-Sep-08 12:09:34

if i had another sprog I would get a vw transporter

poppy34 Wed 24-Sep-08 12:12:39

isn't that like the a team van?

silverfrog Wed 24-Sep-08 12:14:51

I used to have an xc90 (now have a Honda FRV - 6 seats, same as the multipla)

The two rear seats are not only for little children (was the reason we bought it) - they are rated for full adult use. Realistically they fit uo to about 14/15 (my step daughter sat there when she was 16, but she is not very tall - maybe 5'4"?). I also sat there on occasion, and I'm 5'7" - I only say up to about 15 because of the whinge factor...

have driven a Q7 (not sat right in the back, though) and it seemed ridiculously small on the inside (especially for such a huge car). the middle seats were also cramped (not much foot room at all).

Loved my volvo, would have another like a shot, but our honda is probably as practical in terms of seat space, just smaller on boot space.

PoorOldEnid Wed 24-Sep-08 12:19:16

I might get an frv after the multipla

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 24-Sep-08 12:46:55

We were going to upgrade our Audi A6 Avant to a Q7, but then discovered the Mercedes R Class, which we'd not heard of before. Have you looked at that? Having test driven both the Audi and this I have to say that it won hands down, despite us being committed Audi fans beforehand. We bought it when there was only a 6 seater version available (3 rows of 2 seats each), but they launched it as a 5, 6 or 7 seater last year.
Although it's as big as the Q7, it really doesn't look it, as its shape is more car like than 4x4 like (it is still a 4x4).
We absolutely love it .

frogs Wed 24-Sep-08 12:48:41

Can't you get the A6 converted to have the extra fold-down seats in the boot? We have the Volvo V70 version of this, and it's great.

bettybeetroot Wed 24-Sep-08 13:54:12

you could check out the reviews here we also have an a6 avant and also going for no.3. i think we might go with a discovery 3 as we have had one before and loved it.

silverfrog Wed 24-Sep-08 13:56:51

CSWS - don't you find with the R class, though, that there is no boot space at all with the third row up?

we looked at it last month, and were really quite taken aback by how little space there was. (couldn't get either dog or buggy in the boot - in our FRV we get both!)

Did like the shape, though, and it was definitely more car-like (as is the FRV)

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 24-Sep-08 15:51:29

Were you looking at the long wheel base or short wheel base version (afaik they still make both)? We can get our Mountain Buggy in the boot (although admittedly much easier with one seat folded) and the mcclaren goes in with plenty of room to spare. We don't have a dog, so no concept of how much space they need I'm afraid. Ours is lwb.

murphyslaw Wed 24-Sep-08 16:30:40

dear poor old enid -thanks for calling us wankerish! as an X5 owner.shock We wanted a practical large 4x4 for a family of 5 and its fab !

muffinchops Fri 26-Sep-08 21:15:53

Thanks for everyone's input. PoorOldEnid, buying a car because it has a 'sloaney' image is certainly not the sort of thing that 'matters' to me remotely; there are plenty of other factors I would rather consider.

Agree that the Q7 is a rather huge lump of metal without the accompanying interior space. It does also look a bit 'in your face' as well.

Think we are going to go for the XC90. Cheers for the views.

TheBlonde Sat 27-Sep-08 08:28:31

can I ask the XC90 and Q7 owners if you can get 3 child car seats in the back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now