Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP!! WASHING MACHINE HAS STOPPED WORKING!!!!

(14 Posts)
irishbird Sat 26-Feb-05 22:07:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snugs Sat 26-Feb-05 22:37:08

Has the drum stop moving completely or does it still agitate but doesn't spin?

If it doesn't move at all then it could be a belt issue.

If it agitates but doesn't kick in to full spin when required then it is probably the pump or a drainage problem (pump won't work if the drain is blocked).

JanH Sat 26-Feb-05 22:45:31

If it does nothing, could be the pump is blocked. With some machines you can unblock it yourself, with others you need A Man. What does your manual say?

JanH Sat 26-Feb-05 22:46:39

Mine blocks occasionally with eg hairgrips. Some block with coins but mine kindly lays them out in the door!

Weatherwax Sat 26-Feb-05 22:57:11

We had a similar problem and after looking at a lot of DIY sites we changes the brushes, very worn, and then the belt which we damaged in the brush fixing. I'm not sure if this is the best site but try how to mend it It was hard work but a lot cheaper than a man. Good luck and I agree with the checking of the drainage first!

zaphod Sat 26-Feb-05 23:03:33

Sounds like the belt to me. We had a hoover machine for years, and when the drum would stop moving, that was the problem. But that's very easily fixed, must be if my dh was able to do it.

WestCountryLass Sat 26-Feb-05 23:16:59

Mine stopped working and it was the drive for the drum which would have cost £150 plus labour to mend, so we bought a 2nd hand machine instead.

helsi Sat 26-Feb-05 23:19:12

Mine broke today too. had enough of it. Spent over £200.00 already with other probs. It was reconditioned already so went a bought a brand new one this am from Currys for 229.00

irishbird Sun 27-Feb-05 09:44:45

morningpaper Sun 27-Feb-05 09:47:16

As people have said, check the:

- belt
- brushes
- motor

Probably one or the other. I've got a local chap that does mine and is very cheap. Replaced the engine a few months ago and was 80 quid all in. The problem with fixing it yourself is that sometimes the parts are REALLY hard to get hold of. I couldn't get hold of the parts for mine but this chap had an old one and took the parts from that!

morningpaper Sun 27-Feb-05 09:48:21

The trickiest part is getting the damn back cover off! You need a special screwdriver head usually. Don't try it with a normal flathead screwdriver unless you are v. careful because you might bugger up the screwhead.

geekgrrl Sun 27-Feb-05 09:51:48

it sounds like the brushes, we had this last week - went after four years of heavy use which is apparently to be expected. Depending on the make and model this is probably not something you can fix yourself - we had to get a repairman out and it cost £60 in total but apparently it's cheaper for non-Bosch washers as Bosch parts are totally overpriced. Have a search through the forum on www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk to get an idea of what the problem could be.

sacha3taylor Sun 27-Feb-05 10:07:29

I'm sure this is really obvious to most people but just thought i would remind you about swithching off the electric before you start delving around with a screwdriver. Last year my washing macine door broke and had a open it from the inside by taking the roof off! I had done this a few times while waiting for DH to fix it when one day nearly blew myself up as it was still plugged in OOOOPPPPPPPSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

irishbird Sun 27-Feb-05 10:58:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now