Talk

Advanced search

baby slings/wraps which is the best for a new born?

(17 Posts)
bogie Tue 23-Sep-08 11:37:50

I had a tomy roma carrier with ds1 and I didn't really like it, now I need one for dd because our pushchair doesn't fit in my mums car s when we go out I am having to carry her everywhere.

hanaflower Tue 23-Sep-08 11:45:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Sep-08 11:47:33

I liked the Coorie (a pouch sling). Faff free, you can wriggle out of it without disturbing the baby and mine doubled as a blanket for the carseat..

muppetgirl Tue 23-Sep-08 11:49:41

loved the hugabub, ds is now 11 months and I still use it and he now weighs 25/26lbs?

Upwind Tue 23-Sep-08 11:51:09

so ring slings are best for breastfeeding?

muppetgirl Tue 23-Sep-08 11:52:35

nope, hugabub was fine for b/f

SoupDragon Tue 23-Sep-08 11:54:28

Pouch also fine for breastfeeding ;)

RedHead81 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:56:57

my ring sling was fab for feeding! ds is now 20wks and the ring sling is great for short walks (because its over one shoulder) but for longer walks we now use the moby wrap - it's very very comfortable because its stretchy like t-shirt material and it ties over both shoulders and back - its really supportive. we walked up the Sugar Loaf mountain in abergavenny on sunday with him in the moby and he was very snug! I'm more impressed with ds1 walking all the way though (age 3.9yrs) bless him and it was 5.5miles! very steep!

RedHead81 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:58:35

i would imagine the moby would be great for feeding, but my ds was a little bigger when we got our moby.

anyone know how to feed in a moby with a very long (72cm) 20wk old baby

sasamax Tue 23-Sep-08 17:56:26

I'm also a hugabub fan.
IMO Tomy slings are cr@p.
Also like the baby bjorn for v v quick throwing on and off - always carry under the pram just in case but it doesn't distribute the baby's weight as well as the hugabub which I use every single day.

TinkerBellesMum Tue 23-Sep-08 18:29:50

I'm a big wrapping fan, I make my own so can't recommend a particular one. I've had Tink in it since she was 3 months (about 6lb, wish I'd found it sooner) and still use it when I need to now. I used to feed her walking down the road and no one could tell. I also like that they're great for when you're going in a car, you leave it tied and it's not too bulky, when you get out the car you just slip baby back in.

sasamax Tue 23-Sep-08 18:31:59

How do you feed in a hugabub?

TinkerBellesMum Tue 23-Sep-08 18:40:30

In a wrap sling? You just manoeuvre the baby into position, nursing tops are great with them but you can use any top because you're well covered. I don't have my ends on the inside, I wrap over the top, you get a tighter wrap which is more comfortable and easier to move baby around in.

Does anyone else get irritated when wrap slings makers say their sling is unique or they have unique positioning? After all the wrap is an ancient way of carrying a baby, there's nothing new about it and I've not seen a wrap maker offer a different position.

sasamax Tue 23-Sep-08 19:30:32

So do I tie it the same way as the normal tummy to tummy carry but with the diagonals outside of the straight panel at the front?

I know - these people didn't invent anything did they? I like the hugabub as it's a nice softness and just the right stretchiness but I'm sure there are loads that are just as good - I'm going to run a couple up myself I think - just need to source the right fabric.

TinkerBellesMum Tue 23-Sep-08 19:56:14

This is me and Tink, she was a bit older there though and I'm not feeding her. Wrapped like that you can position them anywhere, do the wrap, exposure yourself and then get baby in so that she's supported and in position. After you've done it that way once or twce it will be easier when you are doing it with her already in.

They're easy enough to make and with the right fabric they don't need hemming - actually I wouldn't want one that does need hemming.

sasamax Tue 23-Sep-08 20:05:12

Wow - that's fantastic - I'm off to learn these new carries - thanks Tinkerbellesmum! x

TinkerBellesMum Tue 23-Sep-08 20:31:21

Glad you like them! I find that like that you can carry them for longer - I've re-wrapped some and they've been amazed at the difference. I keep seeing people say that you can only do it up to a certain age, but I disagree, wrapped tight enough it doesn't matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now