Talk

Advanced search

Go for Playmobil or continue with Duplo?

(15 Posts)
ilovemyghds Mon 22-Sep-08 21:09:20

DS is 4 in a few weeks. He has amassed a largeish Duplo collection over the last few years and has liked playing with them off and on. A few of his friends have started getting playmobil (he's not really aware of it though! - I just know from their mums), so was wondering whether to continue with the Duplo (bearing in mind that it says up to 5 on the boxes so only a year left of that 'officially'), and then go for lego next year. I have 2 younger DCs who will get to play with it so not wasted.

I loved lego as a child but never had playmobil so am immune to its charms at the moment. Have read great things about it here though! DS still needs help from me to assemble the 'sets' that he has, though is happy to build random things on his own. Am I right in thinking that playmobil will enable more imaginative play rather than building and assembly?

DS loves jigsaws and that type of toy. Does that give any indication as to which types of toy suit him best (apart from jigsaws obviously!). Have asked what he might like for his birthday, but don't want to say things like'Do you want more Duplo' as he will probably just say yes to whatever I say...and I want him to have a surprise. Also, if I go with one thing it makes it easier if relatives ask what he'd like and I can just point them say in the direction of playmobil.

Also, on a tangent, do those of you with more than one DC just pile these types of toys together or does each child keep their sets separate? DD is 2 in November and thought I might get her some Duplo. Would it result in massive arguments if I then added it to DSs hoard. Don't want to be sorting out disputes over who owns which brick!

Donk Mon 22-Sep-08 21:16:07

Be warned!
The combination of a DS who likes taking things apart and then making his own things, can, with Playmobil, lead to great frustration.
Particularly on the part of a DH who spent 2 1/2 hours carefully building the zoo, only to have it taken apart in minutes by 4 year old DS... who then gets cross because he can't put it back together to make a rocket/police station/ digger....
He has been playing with lego now since he was 2 - and loves it.
He takes this apart/puts it together endlessly.
The Playmobil zoo makes occasional appearances, and is played with for a couple of days, before being dismantled (by DS) and put away (by me because DS has lost interest again)

Bodkin Mon 22-Sep-08 21:21:06

Well, we are completely crazy about Playmobil in our house - DD1 has loved it since we bought her first set aged 2 - so even though it says 4+ on the box, they can enjoy it from much earlier.

If you're not sure if your DS will dig it, why not just buy one of the cheaper little "pocket money" figures (you can get some for as little as £1.75 in my local toymaster) and see how he gets on.

<<feel a little bit like a "pusher" now>>

grin

ilovemyghds Mon 22-Sep-08 21:21:08

Do you mean 'proper' lego. My parents have held on to my duplos and legos and he plays with those when we visit them. He really seems to like the smaller pieces. Do you think it's worth moving straight on to lego now? Is it dangerous with the younger DCs about - or is playmobil just as small?

ilovemyghds Mon 22-Sep-08 21:24:18

ps your poor DH Donk - that is what happens to me at the monent when I put together a Duplo set of DSs and he re-does it the 'wrong' way (I am anal) grin

Donk Mon 22-Sep-08 21:25:14

DS has proper lego - partly because he never seemed interested in the really big duplo, and partly because SIL gave him a big bucket of it when he was 2!
Some Playmobil bits are just as small as the small lego bits...

ilovemyghds Mon 22-Sep-08 21:25:53

Bodkin - I had seen the smaller sets but was not sure whether they would stand alone as toys, or if I would use them to supplenent the larger sets. Maybe I could try a small one to see if he likes them.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 22-Sep-08 21:26:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovemyghds Mon 22-Sep-08 21:28:33

Thought I had seen some teeny tiny playmobil bits at my friends house. So lego no worse from a health and safety point of view then! I would secretly love to start him on real lego - I could play with it for hours [saddo emoticon].

Bodkin Mon 22-Sep-08 21:45:49

Oh we just mix it all up here - playmobil figures in the wooden ELC cutesy rose cottage dolls house, in the Sylvanian canal barge, in the sticklebrick "houses" (I use the term loosely) that DD1 builds. She even makes "caves" and "treehouses" for them out in the garden. IMO there is no need to buy the £100+ huge sets...

But maybe if he is into construction, rather than imaginary play, then if you did get a couple of figures, he could build them all sorts of amazing palaces/castles/dungeons etc from the Duplo/lego.... gowaaan!

Loshad Mon 22-Sep-08 21:51:31

We've never really "got" playmobil in this house, despite having quite a lot of it. the duplo and lego however has been played with endlessly. My dsis kids were here about a month ago (proper duplo age grin)and I pulled the duplo box out, it's stayed out and ds3 and 4 (10 and 7) have spent a lot of time building open-ended bridges, platforms etc with it and experimenting how far the duplo train will travel on them and so on, i'd definatly go for more duplo if I were you, partic as you have another couple coming up.

accessorizequeen Tue 23-Sep-08 10:37:57

I don't have playmobil, but sounds as though your ds might really like Brio Builder if he likes creating random things on his own. Most of the sets go from 4-7 or something like that. DS1 got some when he was nearly 4 and really enjoys creating new things with it. You can buy a set of it on ebay for reasonable prices, and relatives could buy it too. FWIW, I think children will play imaginatively with whatever's around, though, if left to it.

ilovemyghds Tue 23-Sep-08 13:37:28

Thanks for responses - still trying to decide!

Forgot that he also has a Brio railway set so that is also an option I suppose (to extend on i mean). If he doesn't like the playmobil, I am sure that one of the other 2 will take to it in future - I have 2 younger DDs. Maybe I can mix it up - ask one set of grandparents to get a few extra railway brio bits, someone else to go for duplo, and a playmobil set from us!

AQ - have not seen brio builder, will have to check it out.

Bodkin - I am so anal - as a child the 'mixing up' of sets would have sent me over the edge. I was mega organized and neat with my toys. I used to hate it when my sister had a really messy dolls house! I will be forever tidying up and rearranging if my DCs are the mixing it all up type. I think that it does show more imagination in play though (maybe I was a v unimaginative child!) grin

Bucharest Tue 23-Sep-08 13:40:37

we heart playmobil too! dd (now almost 5) had her first lot (airport and plane) aged 3 and plays with it all the time....another plus point is it fetches as much as what you paid for it new, on ebay in due course!

TooTicky Tue 23-Sep-08 13:42:22

My dsc (12, 9, 6 and 3) all like Duplo. And Playmobil. And lego. [unhelpful]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now