Talk

Advanced search

What to think of look for when choosing a WEDDING PHOTOGRAPER!!

(22 Posts)
nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 11:26:09

I am getting re-married next year, and need to find a photographer and don't know where to begin. I want a relaxed approach more reportage style pics, pics of the preperation and the the reception rather than lots of posed group shots.

What should i look for? The wedding is in Sevenoaks Kent in July if anyone can recommend a photographer even better!!

Thanks xx
p.s this is the sort of thing, but not sure where this lady is based!
www.denisewinterphotography.co.uk/index.html

RubySlippers Mon 22-Sep-08 11:33:36

i know a very good photographer - personal friend and i can get you her email

she does the sort of thing you are after

i think you need to meet a few people and look at their books

TillyScoutsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 11:38:15

good place to start. They are categorised as reportage, contemporary etc., as well as geographically. You should get a decent idea from their websites and/or going to meet them.

a lot of people have recommended these as well. They will travel nationwide. Most photographers will include about 60 miles travel within the price so no need to stick to very local ones

Also - don't be afraid to haggle. I'm getting married later this year and got about £500 off the package price

Finally <<plug alert>> there's a rather fabulous wedding thread in parties and celebrations for brides 2 be if you fancy coming and telling us all about your plans smile

nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 11:40:29

ooh yes I would like that..thanks! Im only just getting started with my plans we booked the venue a while ago, and my friend is a florist so if i get the photographer sorted thats three biggies down. oh i might want to start looking at dresses too. I will hunt you done in that thread then..unless you can link? Thanks x

FluffyMummy123 Mon 22-Sep-08 11:40:44

Message withdrawn

TillyScoutsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 11:46:58

wedding thread

bogie Mon 22-Sep-08 11:50:10

This guy is great but im not sure if he does kent www.steveheadphotography.co.uk/weddings.html

nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 11:56:34

Im thinking I don't want to spend more than £1000 for the photographer and a disc of pics. is that far too little??

I got married first time around 10yrs ago and spent that then, got a hideous huge heavy leather photo album that i never liked and the photos were too old fashioned.

Thanksf or your replies...I have found wedding thread too...thanks grin

Dropdeadfred Mon 22-Sep-08 12:12:40

we got married in August and used www.peartreepictures.co.uk

They use two photographers and covered the whole of the day from preparations to fireworks late at night...over 10 hours.
They were brilliant and the venue actually enquired about them as they would like to recommend them to others - they were great and really nice people too.

nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 12:20:36

where was that dropdead? what area did you get married in?

Dropdeadfred Mon 22-Sep-08 12:30:33

I got married in essex, but I know the photographers cover Essex, kent, london and further afield...even abroad.

nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 12:33:52

great i shall have a look at them, always prefer a recommendations. Thanks x

RubySlippers Mon 22-Sep-08 13:52:12

address here:

jackie fern at hotmail dot com

no spaces etc

mabel1973 Mon 22-Sep-08 14:00:37

Hi

my husband is a wedding photographer, we are based in nottingham though, otherwise would have recommended him!

Don't just look at their website, but ask to see the last couple of weddings they have done, that shouldn't be a problem, they are obviously going to put their best shots on their website, you want to know that they are consistent, You shouldn't have a problem with a budget of £1000 if you only want a disc, it obviously depends how long you want them at the ceremony.

they may have set prices for packages, but don't be afraid to ask if their packages don't suit you. Most photographers will accomodate your needs a tailor a price to suit that.

Also look at the type of thing you want then show the photographer, Although they should be able to suggest specific pictures which would look good at your venue, it helps if you can give them any guidence of specific shots you want.

Make sure they are willing to visit the venue beforehand, so they can check where to do the shots, and that your are happy with what they are suggesting.

nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 15:09:11

thank you mabel thats really helpful. just heard back from one photographer i loved the look of...already booked for next july sad

fairy15 Mon 22-Sep-08 15:31:30

my brother-in-law is a photographer spencerbrownphotography.co.uk/ how far away from me are you? may be too far! thats finn on the main page on the right & baileys inside. we just got back from having more done.
i wouldd say talk to people in your area as word of mouth is always good & will tell you if they are good or not smile

nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 15:33:49

we are in kent...sevenoaks...for wedding, is that too far??!

nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 15:36:38

Lovely, lovely pics fairy...just what i want that kind of thing.

fairy15 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:10:17

i could ask him if you like?

poshtottie Mon 22-Sep-08 16:11:47

I'm not sure how far she will travel and she is probably quite pricey but I wish I had booked her. www.bellawest.co.uk

nicolamumof3 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:22:49

yes please fairy..im just leaving work now..i will check that other one as well poshtottie when i get home...thanks x

fairy15 Mon 22-Sep-08 21:26:07

have mailed you some good news grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now