Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling all 80's indie kids - nostlgia city!

(57 Posts)
lyndap Sat 26-Feb-05 12:19:54

Just took receipt of a fantastic triple cd of 80's 12" singles! Some fab stuff on there ranging from The Cure and The Banshees and Japan and Lloyd Cole to Curiosity Killed The Cat! Am wallowing in nostalgia as I type! Mostly one for the indie kids (or Mnetters previously known as such...) but some fab tracks.
Here's the link - but I'm not sure that it will work...

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=CD&title=570860&p=27&g=30

oatcake Sat 26-Feb-05 12:22:27

OMG! "She's in parties!" Haven't heard that for sooooo long!

Well, it's just given me some ideas for my mp3 player!

lyndap Sat 26-Feb-05 12:26:15

I used to love Pete Murphy - those fab cheekbones!!

oatcake Sat 26-Feb-05 12:30:45

the maxwell advert - swoon ...

BadHair Sat 26-Feb-05 13:35:01

OMG this makes me feel so old!

Speaking of wallowing in indie nostalgia, has anyone seen 24 Hour Party People? Watched it on DVD last night and dp and I ended up namechecking old Manchester bands in a particularly sad and trainspotterish fashion. Went to bed singing Hallelujah but woke up with Transmission going round in my head and can't get rid of it.

Mirage Sat 26-Feb-05 22:40:04

Strange-I was thinking about Lloyd Cole the other night & wondering whatever happened to him.

I still have my tHE cURE t-shirts.How sad am I?

Mirage Sat 26-Feb-05 22:41:55

Oh Badhair-DH still goes on about going to The Hacienda in the 80's.It's so sad that its all gone now.Was it converted into flats or something?

Caribbeanqueen Sat 26-Feb-05 22:48:11

Wonderful! I saw Lloyd Cole in concernt Manchester in the 80s - he was great. The Icicle Works!!! Haven't thought about them for ages! Jeremy Vine played I'm in Love witha German Film Star the other day - dp was disgusted because I said Isn't that I'm in Lone With.... after about 4 notes of the intro!

Sad indeed!

moondog Sat 26-Feb-05 22:49:46

Lloyd Cole was doing some gigs in the UK about 4 months ago. 'Rattlesnakes'. Reminds me of my first term at uni, and my frightful roommate who would bring blokes home and shag them (loudly)about 3 metres away from me as I tried to sleep!

geogteach Sun 27-Feb-05 19:54:40

And I thought I was LLoyd Cole's only surviving fan, I saw him in Sheffield and London, fab

CountessDracula Sun 27-Feb-05 20:02:57

Oooh have to get this! Even if just for Digging your scene which was a BIG fave for a while! Loved Lloyd Cole too, and a lot of the others.

unicorn Sun 27-Feb-05 20:04:18

moondog.. must have been at uni same time as me <twasn't me shagging!!! I don't think! >
there was a track that someone kept playing on that album...

best friend or new best friend??

and the other about Louise with the perfect skin..

lou33 Sun 27-Feb-05 20:06:17

i used to have a major crush on lloyd cole

CountessDracula Sun 27-Feb-05 20:07:37

We went to see The The a couple of years ago at the Festival Hall. It crushed me. I had adored them for years but they were so crap and he was such a wanker that it ruined it for me.

Some things best left in the past I think!

MancMum Sun 27-Feb-05 20:09:29

hacienda was knocked down and flats built in its place... sacrilege!!

Thanks for this post -- brought a smile to my face during the drudgery of sunday chores.... Pete Murphy and the Maxwell advert is one of the strongest memories of my youth... wonder where he is now... other crushes of the time.. Julian Cope, David Sylvian...

I am going to get this when it gets back in stock -- looks liek too many mn'ers have bought it!!

irishbird Sun 27-Feb-05 20:15:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lou33 Sun 27-Feb-05 20:17:13

ooh pete murphy and david sylvian.......

MummytoSteven Sun 27-Feb-05 20:18:10

ooooh Carter USM (sigh).

not often you get to talk about them these days

takes me back to my misspent youth....

MummytoSteven Sun 27-Feb-05 20:19:03

so what's your fave Carter song. the ultimate one has to be "Sheriff Fatman" for me. and I felt ever so sorry for them for the hassle they got over the ruby tuesday sample in After the Watershed

irishbird Sun 27-Feb-05 20:22:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dahlia Sun 27-Feb-05 20:30:01

does anyone remember "No GDM" by Gina X? I absolutely loved that record. Also Reflex, Talktalk, Fashion, Blancmange, Visage, god it was just the best era for music.

Seabird Sun 27-Feb-05 20:41:51

I used to listen to Carter USM really loudly on my walkman walking to the College of Law in Guildford in '91 - perfect antidote to the day ahead! (What was that one about dipsomania?) In fact met my then boyfriend at Cinderella's indie night pogoing to Sh Fatman. Happy memories ...

Funnily enough, had a lovely dream about Lloyd Cole just the other night

Such a shame that I was in CD denial at the time so everything's languishing on vinyl while I have no record player. Must check out that CD.

Tinker Sun 27-Feb-05 20:45:33

YES! to Gina X! Had forgotten all about that. Can't remember it now but know I knew it.

Dahlia Sun 27-Feb-05 20:46:54

Tinker - "You are perfect, you are sheer, if you are a red haired queer"!!

Tinker Sun 27-Feb-05 20:49:01

Dahlia - I'd have to hear it again. Was a compulsory on "alternative" nights in Scene 2 at Rotters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now