Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know their stuff with the Euro ncap car tests? Getting confused over what car to buy, Ford focus? Renault Clio?

(17 Posts)
used2bthin Fri 19-Sep-08 13:56:45

Both of them got 4 stars for child safety but then I read that the size of car makes a difference so that means the ford focus is safer because it is bigger????

Getting into such a muddle with it all. I don't want to spend more than £6000 but want a new ish car, no more than 3 years old. I've seen a few of both of these cars near me but which to go for? Or something else? Looked at Renault Modus today after I read that they are good on the which car report but then a man at a garage said no don't touch them. Confused!

LadyOfWaffle Fri 19-Sep-08 13:58:52

Ford are better cars IMO/E.

used2bthin Fri 19-Sep-08 14:02:17

Thanks Ladyofwaffle. I'm getting obsessed with these car safety reports! I am a bit worried that a bigger car like the ford Focus (bigger than my little 1l VW polo)will cost a bomb in petrol and insurance though, what do you think?

LadyOfWaffle Fri 19-Sep-08 14:06:21

www.parkers.co.uk do good car comparisons, shows insurance groups/ave. petrol costs, mpg for different models etc. Focus' I think are pretty good fuel wise, obviously now you have to think that a small petrol will be as cheap as the diesel because of the fuel prices, but it depends really how you want to use it. Insurance will be higher because I think polos are about group 2, esp. for a 1l.

used2bthin Fri 19-Sep-08 14:14:44

Thank you I will have a look now. Yes insurance on my polo has always been really low.

RandomIdiot Fri 19-Sep-08 14:24:31

You are right....you can only compare results within a ncap category. The clio is in a different category to teh focus so you cannot compare the results to each other.

It does say that usually in a large car v small car accident the occupants of the larger car will be better protected.

At the end of the day - the cars are very differnt in size so you need to decide which size is appropriate for you, based on a number of factors such as capacity, fuel economy and insurance as discussed.

Once you have decided on size then look at teh NCAP results for that size (supermini or family car...then decide whether the car you are looking at ranks well against other similar cars.

used2bthin Fri 19-Sep-08 14:31:11

Thanks RI, I want it safe though so maybe best off with the focus as its a bit bigger. I think a bigger one than I've got is probably a good idea anyway tbh for a lot of reasons but just maybe have to accept that it will cost me more over all. I think I will ring my insurance company and find out how much more it would be. Am getting confused about fuel though would it cost more to fill up but need filling less often or just cost more as it uses more?

EvelynsDad Fri 19-Sep-08 15:35:08

I don't trust Renaults and the Honest John report on the Clio suggests that it wouldn't be a good choice.

Modern Fords are quite well built and relatively cheap to repair. Of the 2 the Focus is much better bet for reliability, but will have higher fuel costs. If you want something with comparable fuel costs to the Clio, but better reliability, maybe a Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz or a Fiesta?

used2bthin Fri 19-Sep-08 22:24:26

Thanks Evelynsdad I really like the Toyota Yaris but it seems to be about £2000 more expensive than everything else I looked at. I suppose maybe in the long run with fuel etc it will work out the same though. The Fiesta didn't seem to get a very good safety report so was put off by that. All this looking at safety reports has left me terrified about taking DD out in my old polo, never really thought of it before and now it feels like we are dicing with death everytime we go out in it! I'm getting obsessed!

EvelynsDad Mon 22-Sep-08 08:28:39

Maybe a Felicia then. Cheap, reliable and good NCAP ratings by my reading of the review.

used2bthin Mon 22-Sep-08 21:05:28

Thanks ED been looking at those too, they seem a god sensible car. They didn't do quite so well as the Ford focus on the child crash test but maybe I am being too obsessive about the tests? I will look out for them anyway. Am also not doing well in finding finance for this car, does anyone know of any really good rates? Would dealers give me a good rate even buying second hand or or those deals more for buying new?

EvelynsDad Mon 22-Sep-08 22:06:52

Don't worry too much about getting the absolute best crash rating. You want a decent crash rating, but it's not everything.

You can always ask dealers about their finance rates, but I wouldn't expect a good rate from a dealer. Have you tried any of the comparison sites like Motley Fool or www.moneysupermarket.com? You could even try Zopa.

used2bthin Mon 22-Sep-08 22:31:52

Thanks EvelynsDad I have been looking on those sites and have seen a couple with low rates. My Dad had me all pleased as he was saying no one is buying cars right now so there will be 0%finance deals and cheaper prices but it definately does not seem to be the case!

EvelynsDad Tue 23-Sep-08 08:28:12

It should be possible to get some deals in the current client, but you'll need to haggle. I'm crap at haggling myself, but I know it can done.

LazyLinePainterJane Tue 23-Sep-08 08:36:09

We have a new focus, 1.6 diesel. Tax is 35 a year and it does about 55 MPG. In terms of other stuff, focuses are really not that big in car terms. It doesn't feel that big to drive (as someone who has only driven a small hatch speaks). It drives very well and easily.

used2bthin Tue 23-Sep-08 14:17:19

I'm crap at haggling too Evelynsdad I think I'll try and get XP to come and do it as I don't think my Dad'd be great either he's too nice!

LazyLinePainterJane interesting name! You are right they are sort of medium sized aren't they. Or small compared to some family cars! I think I will go for the focus, they seem to be the sensible option and I like the look of them so jsut got to find one cheap enough and the right sort of age now. Find the finance too obviously! Wish XP would take over all responsibility for this really and I'll just sign the forms. Which is why I wouldn't be good to go and look around on my own, I'd just end up agreeing to whatever deal they cook up!

maviscrewit Wed 08-Oct-08 21:30:24

Errr can I just ask the OP what the man at the garage had against the Modus? Its just that I've just bought one hmm! I have to say safety was the first consideration for a smallish car. I really wanted a Jazz but too pricey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now