Talk

Advanced search

Bicycle without wheels

(13 Posts)
Tia Fri 25-Feb-05 15:22:07

I saw a toddler in the park with one of these - it looks like a very small bike without wheels. Apparently they learn to balance on it and can ride a bike quite easily when they get older. I think that one came from France. I have seen something similar called Like a Bike, from Germany, but it is very expensive. Has anyone seen these around?

thedogmother Fri 25-Feb-05 15:24:42

do you mean this?

NotQuiteCockney Fri 25-Feb-05 15:50:32

I think Puky do a similar one, only cheaper. We have a like-a-bike, but DS1 isn't that interested. (BTW they do have wheels - just no pedals!)

Here is the Puky one.

bensmum3 Fri 25-Feb-05 16:31:23

tchibo had one for sale the other day, about £25 I think.

LIZS Fri 25-Feb-05 16:31:38

Think Tchibo do one here .

LIZS Fri 25-Feb-05 16:35:00

posts x'd

starlover Fri 25-Feb-05 17:13:58

i read this, and i couldn't figure out quite how a toddler would be playing with a bike with no wheels! LOL

DecafArabica Fri 25-Feb-05 19:21:16

DS' best mate has a Like A Bike. I like them to look at and DS has fun when he rides it, but I'm not sure they are worth the money. They're great at teaching balance but when DS' friend tries to ride DS' bike she doesn't have the leg strength to pedal it.

Tia Mon 28-Feb-05 22:23:07

Can't believe I posted a message asking about bicycles without wheels! . Thank you all so much for bothering to look, and for telling me exactly what I wanted to know! Cheers for Mumsnet.

JanH Mon 28-Feb-05 22:28:30

God I was confused by the thread title!

So basically they are scooters with saddles? So the child can keep both feet on the floor and scoot along and learn to balance? Is that how it works?

JanH Mon 28-Feb-05 22:28:49

LOL at Puky btw. Nice!

LIZS Tue 01-Mar-05 08:13:09

Janh, pretty much. They are like freewheeling bikes which the kids sit on and propel with their feet. Puky also do a large 2 wheel scooter with a saddle.

Prettybird Tue 01-Mar-05 09:28:43

Ds has a like a bike which he got for his 2nd Christmas from his doting (cycling) grandparents. He was n't interested in it for a long time but when he was about 4 he started to really enjoy it. It's been great for teaching him to balance and he can now go quite fast on it (too fast down hill, given that it doesn't have brakes!).

Dh and he go to nursery on it (about a mile away) - dh has to be on his bike as ds goes so fast (ds on pavement, dh on road). The other kids at nursery are queuing up to borrow it once he trades up to his bike.

He got a bike for Christmas, but we haven't been able to get out much with him too much yet with the dark night, although we have been out a bit at weekends.

He does find the bike harder work as the pedals involve more effort. However, we were always going to have that hurdle, as he's never even got to grips with trikes. But as long as there is a wee slope to help him, he's great on the bike!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: