Talk

Advanced search

Changing to an estate car - any recommendations?

(16 Posts)
weeboagie Fri 25-Feb-05 08:46:41

We are shortly due to change DH's company car as we now have DD (6 months) plus a labrador we want to change from a saloon to an estate. We are limited by the options on his company car list - can anyone give us their thoughts on the following?

Peugot 407 estate 2.0 Delux
(I'm sure I've spelt that wrong)

Ford Focus 2.0 estate Titanium

Ford Focus C-Max

Many thanks

NomDePlume Fri 25-Feb-05 08:54:47

I've got a Focus hatchback and it's great for interior space, equipment and looks pretty inside too. The drive is fab. I think the Focus is a great all-rounder. I'm pretty sure that there are a cpl of MNers with the CMax...

I looked at an estate when I bought my car, but decided that the additional boot space was not really necessary, especially given that DH has an estate car too. I was going to suggest his car (a Merc C-Class diesel estate), but I can see that it's outside of the budget.

NomDePlume Fri 25-Feb-05 09:02:49

Honest John is supposed to be a good reference point.

NomDePlume Fri 25-Feb-05 09:15:47

Honest John

NomDePlume Fri 25-Feb-05 09:20:06

Parkers are also helpful

ladymuck Fri 25-Feb-05 09:23:18

I'm onthe short size and I found the Peugot uncomfotable to drive. If those are the 3 that you're limited to then I suggest that you both test-drive each as that may help you decide. Rear parking sensors are worth paying the extra for!

Boot is wonderful - can chuck in anything.

weeboagie Fri 25-Feb-05 21:45:14

Many thanks - anyone else out there able to help?

frogs Fri 25-Feb-05 21:57:00

Peach or Lemon

phatcat Fri 25-Feb-05 22:19:12

I can't comment on the 407 but I've got a 406 estate 2.0 executive (1997) and it's fantastic - bought it at 80k on the clock and it's now at 130k 4 years later and nothing major has ever gone wrong. I just get the recommended service every 6k or so. I've only ever had old bangers before, this is my first proper car. Things I like - plenty of acceleration, superb instant heating/demisting and a/c, electric windows, power steering, saveable seat & mirror settings for different drivers, infinitely and easily adjustable seat position (I'm short and never have a problem), leather seats, loads of carrying space, overall quality feel, roofbars. I've got the petrol version and get about 350-400 miles out of a £40 tank full. Not bad but I would have preferred the diesel HDI version. I'll definitely consider upgrading to another Peugeot estate when the time comes to change it. HTH

JanH Fri 25-Feb-05 22:24:07

DH's last company car (just gone) was a 406 estate - 2.0 DTi engine. Very smooth and quiet, but very soft French ride (made DS2 carsick and he never was before) and had infuriating sort-of draughts in front passenger seat - from the ventilation apparently - which could not be diverted or switched off.

With 1 child + Lab I think I would get the Focus estate (we had a Focus estate hire car and it was great). Focus hatchback has huge boot but not good for Lab!

JanH Fri 25-Feb-05 22:27:24

Oh, having read phatcat's, maybe ours was HDi, not DTi. (2001 model). Still wouldn't want another. Very low headroom too, with sunroof - you could have AC + sunroof, or neither, which seemed pretty stupid to me.

HUGE boot though.

Evesmama Fri 25-Feb-05 22:29:29

we have peogeot 206 sw(sporty estate) and is wonderful! although not as big as most estates?, would recomend peogeot though

MancMum Fri 25-Feb-05 22:32:37

we have a focus and it is fab -- done 70000 miles over 4 years and it has been great ... boot not huge but big enough for camping holiday... and is very easy to manourvre

phatcat Fri 25-Feb-05 22:33:05

true about the headroom JanH - I once gelled my hair up (ahem) and I was brushing the ceiling!

milge Fri 25-Feb-05 22:46:32

I'd go for the Focus estate. My parents had a Peugoet, and i drove it quite a bit, enough for me to decide not to get one. i had a focus diesel as a company car before i packed up work after mat. leave, and was all geared up to get a focus estate as a replacement ( had twins so neeeded more boot space) when dh came over all european and bought a german estate car. When( not if) it dies, will happily get a focus estate. Found them a great drive, really responsive in diesel, and good boot space in estate.

Vornsta Fri 25-Feb-05 22:50:16

we have a ford focus estate and it is fab - but they have just changed it so don't know about new one. C Max gets highest NCAP safety ratings so I think I would go for one of these next time I change my car -hopefully not for ages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now