Talk

Advanced search

car seat 9mths - 4yrs isofix?

(41 Posts)
mum2oneloudbaby Wed 17-Sep-08 18:37:31

do you have an isofix seat?

i am trying to find the next seat and i am bewildered.

i like the mamas and papas as it seems to have a good safety rating but would like an isofix seat as we move it between 3 different cars and it should minimise possible fitting errors

however have been warned against an isofix seat because they are heavy and bulky.

what is your experience?

RubyRioja Wed 17-Sep-08 18:39:54

we have a maxicost priorifx and dd is 3 1/2. She still fits in nicely. Have been v happy with it but would not fancy changing cars regularly. However, more important to get good easy fit if moving often, so isofix is probably more awkward, but better iyswim

MuffinMclay Wed 17-Sep-08 21:43:06

Britax Duoplus Isofix. One of the lightest of the isofix seats and with a good safety rating.

mum2oneloudbaby Thu 18-Sep-08 18:47:23

thanks guys any other recommendations anyone?

Reginaphilangy Thu 18-Sep-08 23:36:59

I have the Britax Duoplus Isofx for dd - its fantastic! Totally foolproof and very very comfy smile

moomaa Fri 19-Sep-08 20:12:50

I have maxi cosi priorifix too. In fact I have 2. I have been pleased with them. They are very heavy but very easy to fit as well, so pros and cons. Aren't all car seats for that age group quite heavy?

HeinzSight Fri 19-Sep-08 20:14:33

maxi cosi priorifix

Which crash tests showed that this was the safest car seat in its group

I've got one.

andyrobo237 Fri 19-Sep-08 20:28:58

It does depend upon the cars you will be transferring it to - we have a Scenic and cant have the isofix one with a leg as there are hidden cubby storage areas in the footwell, which have plastic tops - so wouldnt withstand the impaxct of the leg and possible rotation in a crash. So we had to get a Britax older style one that had no leg.

The Isofix ones cost upwards of £200, so is there any merit in buying one decent standard fit car seat and then two cheaper (but high safety rating ones) for the other two cars, if for example, one car was to be used more than another, or two £120 ones for the main two cars and a cheaper £60 one for the (eg) grandparents car?

We have three cars that DS goes in and we have an Isofix one in DH - was a bargain, a MaxiCosi Tobi - not isofix but very easy to fit in my car, and my DD's older Priori in grandma's car. I fitted them all myself, so I know they are ok, and check them monthly. It suits our needs.

Having said that, we have an isofix group 3 seat for DD and I have to occasionally remove them from the car, and they are so easy to fit, and remove - so can recommend them!

You need to look at your circumstances, how much you can afford to pay out for seats (will be used for the next 2.5 years plus), and how much will each car be used.

I can recommend the Britax ones and the Maxi Cosi ones - historically they always come out tops in the safety stakes - M&P ones look nice, but are not so good.

justkeepswimming Fri 19-Sep-08 20:31:59

We have Recaro ones (the rear-facing ones and this stage ones & have just bought the next stage one too) - they are Isofix and i think they are fab. not v common and expensive but worth it imo.

HeinzSight Fri 19-Sep-08 20:32:38

I've got a Scenic andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you find that out? Link Link Link please . . . . . .

justkeepswimming Fri 19-Sep-08 20:33:51

so do we - the shop where we got the seats didn't say anything about the footwell things hmm

andyrobo237 Fri 19-Sep-08 20:37:02

Well it was the shop where we bought it from, but I did have an inkling about that when I was thinking about it. We got the seat in January this year and the Maxi Cosi and Britax ones were not in their websites as compatible with our car. An option was to remove the lid off the storage hole so the foot was on the metal of the car floor, but DH didnt like that idea (well it was for his car!!)

HeinzSight Fri 19-Sep-08 20:41:08

Could you not as an option just open the storage lid and leave it open?

justkeepswimming Fri 19-Sep-08 21:09:18

will ask dh....

HeinzSight Fri 19-Sep-08 21:13:10

will keep an eye on this thread

justkeepswimming Fri 19-Sep-08 21:13:17

he can't remember but thinks we may have put yellow pages into the footwell hmm.....

HeinzSight Sat 20-Sep-08 16:39:58

BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER! Just phoned Renault and they've said that the priorifix ISN'T compatible with my Scenic. Oh crap crap crap.

HeinzSight Sat 20-Sep-08 17:25:32

bugger angry

peachygirl Sat 20-Sep-08 17:29:12

We have the Britax Duoplus Isofix too and I would also recommend it

justkeepswimming Sat 20-Sep-08 17:38:25

HS - bugger

do you have the number you phoned? i know i SHOULD ring them to check now but really don't want to know the answer, iykwim

MuffinMclay Sat 20-Sep-08 17:45:07

After recommedning the Britax Duoplus Isofix earlier in the thread, I may have changed my mind.grin Ds1 (who could wriggle his arms out of the straps) is now able to undo the buckle. That may be a flaw in ds1 rather than in the seat per se though.

HeinzSight Sat 20-Sep-08 19:47:40

Oh no Muffin (hey like your name by the name, another Hairy McClary fan here!), need to buy a new car seat since finding out that our Priorifix isn't suitable for our Scenic and according the Which? the next best seat is the Britax Duoplus! DD is most interested in buckles etc. Oh bum.

Lotster Sat 20-Sep-08 22:33:19

Me too, might change to Bitzer Maloney!

But back to the thread grin

I have a Priori from Maxi Cosi too, we chose it because it reclines the most from what I researched so my son gets good naps in the car.

My car has Iso Fix built in but I don't use it, the belt is perfectly adequate, the lady in the shop who could have made more £ out of me pretty much said so. But that's for you to decide obv.

I just felt it was more about convenience which you might want in the first car seat you have, but the second one like these you just don't take in and out like you did when they're tiny so I didn't see the point.

Great seat.

D1974 Sat 20-Sep-08 23:45:17

Hello
You can get Isofix rearfacing seats for this age range, tests show them to be 5 times safer than forward facing seats, and they aren't much more expensive. Look at www.rearfacing.co.uk for more information.

HeinzSight Sun 21-Sep-08 11:33:07

justkeepswimming I phoned the number on the Renault website. www.Renault.co.uk

Am SO annoyed because AM SURE (in fact DH is sure he checked too) that I checked that this seat was compatible with my Scenic. Also, this is the bit that really makes me cross, I took my Scenic in for a holiday check as we were going to France in June, I also asked them to check that the car seat was fitted properly. SURELY they should have picked up that it was suitable then! angry

DH was thinking about putting some wood or something in the cupboard but I wasn't so keen on teh idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now