Talk

Advanced search

guitar for a toddler

(12 Posts)
joynovemberjoy Tue 16-Sep-08 11:06:14

I would like to buy a guitar for my son's 2nd birthday. Has anyone got or seen a reasonably priced toy guitar that has strings rather than batteries and doesn't necessarily play silly tunes? Thank you

NotQuiteCockney Tue 16-Sep-08 11:19:55

Guitars are too big, by definition for this age.

Ukeleles work fine, though. And they're not expensive.

seeker Tue 16-Sep-08 11:28:32

I would second the ukelele idea - my ds loves his. But I wonder whether 2 is too young - had you considered something like a cheap keyboard instead? Or a good drum?

Please feel free to ignore me.....

joynovemberjoy Tue 16-Sep-08 22:46:15

Thank you for your help. I will look at Ukeleles. He already enjoys playing with my old 80s Yamaha keyboard (think Ross from friends) and is fascinated by our friend's guitar. I agree that 2 is too young for proper guitar playing / lessons but he will enjoy strumming. Just didn't want to settle for a pink or blue plastic thing from ELC!

BirdyArms Tue 16-Sep-08 22:58:03

I bought DS1 a toy wooden guitar for his 2nd birthday and it has been one of our most played with toys. It came from our local toyshop and was about £10. His 18 month old cousin is obsessed by it and i was thinking of getting him one from Christmas but don;t think the local shop still has them. Will have a look online and let you know if I find one.

BirdyArms Tue 16-Sep-08 23:08:19

Here is a link. This is more deluxe that ours. When I bought DS1's I think I saw them in a couple of different little independent toy shops. Do get one - he was particularly sweet at around 2.6 when he used to make us sit on the carpet whilst he strummed and sang 'baa baa black sheep' in a very good impression of the the guy in the music group that we go to.

seeker Wed 17-Sep-08 06:47:35

Yes, my ds has adored playing with dp's guitars from an early age - dd ignored them!

We got him (ds, I mean, not dp!) a ukelele a couple of months ago and he absolutely loves it. He can play "Smoke on the Water" - much to the amusement of all our aging Rocker friends!

We also got a very small electric guitar and amp on Ebay for £40 that is hugely popular!

seeker Wed 17-Sep-08 06:49:01

But I would go to a muxic shop - the ones in toy shops don't stay in tune as well. Oh, and buy yourself a book - ukeleles have weird tuning!

somethingsticky Wed 17-Sep-08 11:22:06

just bought one from asda for about 15 quid. would have bought the one BirdyArms linked to had I seen it first though as it looks more like my own which dd(2) love (I had the choice of black or pink at asda)

joynovemberjoy Wed 17-Sep-08 12:03:29

Thank you for all of the suggestions - they're really helpful. Off to investigate further ...

Oh and thanks Seeker - I'm now going to be humming SOTW for the rest of the day! LOL

PinkChick Wed 17-Sep-08 12:05:18

toys r us have starter children's guitars(although prob more designed for 4-5 yrs, but as long as you keep an eye) in diff colours some with cases for £20smile..got niece a pink one!grin

seeker Wed 17-Sep-08 13:33:36

You haven't lived til you've had Smoke on the Water played repeatedly in the back of the car on the ukelele all the way to school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now