Talk

Advanced search

Citroën C8/ Grand Voyager or something else???

(32 Posts)
SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 21:58:20

We are expecting baby number three. Today I had a friend visit on the train so I put my baby carseat in and realised that I really will need a new car.
Much as I fancy something swish, I think that practicality rules and we need a <whispers> people carrier.

So, I would like 7 or 8 seats and a sliding door also the option of leather interior. Have only looked online so far and have found the Citroën and the Chrysler. Has anyone got either of these or can recommend something else?

Many thanks.

SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 22:16:01

Anyone?

SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 22:26:48

Last bump before bed smile

WendyWeber Mon 15-Sep-08 22:28:41

Is it going to be new or used?

SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 22:30:30

That really depends on price - in the past I've always bought about 18 months old so that you can get more for your money. Will be trading in my car whichever option we choose.

Hassled Mon 15-Sep-08 22:30:59

This may sway you towards the C8

Hassled Mon 15-Sep-08 22:32:29

Sorry - hadn't registered you were there ahead of me

Mamazon Mon 15-Sep-08 22:34:10

My dad had a voyager and it really is like driving a spaceship.
I loved it. its very luxurious and quite responsive.
it has loads of features including the stowaway seats so you can have extra boot space if you need it.

I would most deifinitly be getting one if i could afford it.

SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 22:44:16

I bet Citroen are loving that story Hassled!!

Thanks Mamazon - they seem to get a love or hate response on here! Have you ever driven your Dad's? Am just a bit worried about parking - it looks really great on paper though, I imagine that the kids would love it!

SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 22:44:19

I bet Citroen are loving that story Hassled!!

Thanks Mamazon - they seem to get a love or hate response on here! Have you ever driven your Dad's? Am just a bit worried about parking - it looks really great on paper though, I imagine that the kids would love it!

SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 22:45:31

oops smile

Mamazon Mon 15-Sep-08 22:56:49

Dad is Disabled so when he was having a bad day i would drive....i would often tell him he was having a bad day so i could drive it blush wink

i loved it. it's no longer than any other of the large people carriers and the PAS is brilliant. it handles really well so parking isn't difficuylt at all.
you just need to get used to it being longer than a normal car...which you do pretty swiftly.

SquiffyHock Tue 16-Sep-08 07:08:22

Thanks Mamazon - I have a 4x4 at the moment (but I do live in the country, she issues disclaimer quickly!!) so it shouldn't be too hard to get used to.
Baby isn't due until next March but I like to have everything sorted. A friend of mine just got the Audi Q7 which is really lovely but I've just started to think that (for the first time ever) I've got to choose function over style!

SqueakyPop Tue 16-Sep-08 07:12:35

We have a C8 which is fine. The electric sliding doors are great.

If I were to get a new car, I would go for the Grand Voyager though - for its superior storage (it's not going to happen).

eleanorsmum Tue 16-Sep-08 07:57:05

Please read the ncap eupoean saftey ratings (google it).

We've been looking at people carriers for a while (I'm a childminder) and have just bought a C8, very pleased with it. It got 4/5 stars in the safety ratings whereas a chyrsler sturggled to get one. from reading the reports the chrylsers head on safety is virtually nil. I know people who drive these and they love them due to the space but for me it was no contest!

Other ones to consier are the peugot 807 (same as C8!) and the toyota previa (but try not to buy an imported one, i believe the parts are harder to get.

hope this helps!

SquiffyHock Tue 16-Sep-08 14:08:26

Thanks Eleanorsmum - I have heard other mention of the Grand Voyager's ncap rating, I really want to ask at the garage what they have done about it because surely they will have to act on it. My friend said she looked at the Citroen a few years ago and it's safety rating was shocking but now it's one of the best.
Looked on the Toyota website but couldn't see the Previa, will look again. Thanks for your help.

WendyWeber Tue 16-Sep-08 14:11:31

You won't get a new Previa, SH, they stopped making them a couple of years ago (sadly, as they are the bees knees IMO) - worth looking out for a good low mileage late one.

The Voyager's safety performance has been improved I think (will check) - the main problem before was that it's designed as a LHD car, & when they moved the steering gear etc to the R, they made no strengthening improvements to that side to protect the driver shock

OneLieIn Tue 16-Sep-08 14:13:29

I had a voyager and a mate had a grand voyager. I would absolutely tell you to NEVER EVER EVER buy a Chrysler for hte following reasons:
1. NCAP safety - I had a smallish crash (my front in someone else's rear end) with DCs in back and car was trashed totally
2. Cost of repairs /servicing - unbelievably high. I paid £2500 for a clutch on a car 2 years old! And it was under warranty!! Parts for Chryslers are scarce and I once had to wait 6 weeks for a part to come from the USA
3. Bad seat layout - I am not so sure about the new grand, but we had a bench that you could hardly move it was so heavy, it did not fold flat either
4. Manual gearbox was awful!

Idobelieveinfairies Tue 16-Sep-08 14:13:52

I didn;t know they had stopped making previas!

i have one-8 seater slidy door one...it is fab!

SquiffyHock Tue 16-Sep-08 14:18:31

Why oh why is it so hard for the car manufacturers to sort this?? I can't be the only one looking for this type of car! It's like the search for the perfect school run coat....

Looks like the Citroen is in the lead. Think I'm going to have to start visiting garages. We have a Lexus at the moment which I love, might have to lobby them to make a people carrier by March smile

OneLieIn Tue 16-Sep-08 14:21:51

The other one my Dh loves is Fiat ulysses

WendyWeber Tue 16-Sep-08 14:25:05

I just did a national search at exchange & mart & found 8 Previas 2005 - 2007; only 3 diesels, which are the best really as it's a heavy car & uses a lot of fuel.

No leather I don't think.

autotrader has 32 and this one is 2005, 28K miles & black leather smile (private sale though)

(Ignore newest one on autotrader, it's an import)

WendyWeber Tue 16-Sep-08 14:33:15

There is an updated Grand Voyager but it hasn't been NCAP tested yet according to What Car

SquiffyHock Tue 16-Sep-08 19:28:51

Wendy - are you Clarkson incognito? grin

Really nice of you to do that searching for me - thanks! The Previa looks good but we aren't planning on buying until next year so I'll look again then - I wonder why they stopped making them.

Hopefully by then the Ncap report on the Grand Voyager will be done, I really like the look of it but, for obvious reasons, that has been putting me off. I've got to believe they should have made huge improvements.

Thanks again Wendy smile

magso Tue 16-Sep-08 19:51:31

We have a C8 - the 6 seater version (few years old). Its a bit wallowy in comparision to our previous Picasso, but generally we are pleased with it. Drawbacks include the back seats are quite difficult to put back in - Ok once you get the hang of it, and one of the sliding doors is now a bit temperamental (after ds slammed some magnetix in the mechanism so not really a fair point), and the rotating front seats took a bit of figuring out! Space wise very good. The 6 seater version (chosen for domestic reasons)is a little difficult for reversing as the passenger heads seem lined up to get in the way (I am short), but give good access to the back row. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now