Talk

Advanced search

Baby Bjorn ACTIVE carrier yay or nay???

(39 Posts)
spendalittlelivealot Mon 15-Sep-08 16:48:38

I need a sturdy front carrier for my 7 week old dd when we go on long walks. Is the baby bjorn active a good option or is there a better front carrier on the market??

poppy34 Mon 15-Sep-08 16:51:26

dunno about others but love our active.. good support, easy to put together and perfect for long walks

foxytocin Mon 15-Sep-08 17:25:14

yes,connecta. cheaper too and does not have the questionable ergonomics for your baby

SoupDragon Mon 15-Sep-08 17:26:56

There are far better carriers on the market for a 7 week old baby.

Coorie, wrap sling,ring sling... all are far better for your baby than the Baby bjorn type of carriers.

BellaBear Mon 15-Sep-08 17:28:55

I MUCH prefer my tricot slen (a wrap sling), much better support for a little baby and far far more comfortable on my back. I can't wear the bb for more than five mins now without it hurting, whereas I can wear the wrap for ages, and he's 8 months now. It took a couple of goes to get used to tying it

SoupDragon Mon 15-Sep-08 17:28:58

I wouldn't use a connecta for a 7 week old. Either a Coorie (pouch type sling) or a wrap would be my choice for a little baby.

foxytocin Mon 15-Sep-08 17:30:27

a connecta works with a newborn, soupy. my best mate even breastfed her newborn it it. (well from about 3 wk old)

you can roll the bottom to make the body smaller for a tiny baby.

foxytocin Mon 15-Sep-08 17:31:48

but i admit, i am a wrap girl first of all. I was choosing something similar to what the OP was looking at without the ergonomic issues of the BB.

poppy34 Mon 15-Sep-08 17:32:53

what ergonomic issues?

SoupDragon Mon 15-Sep-08 17:33:50

Oh, I don't doubt it's OK but I prefer the positioning of the baby in a pouch's hammock like arrangement

I like top think there isn't a perfect sling for all things, you need a different one for each [shopoholic]

poppy34 Mon 15-Sep-08 17:34:41

soupdragon (or anyone).. have you got a baba sling? or whatever they're called - I reckon it would be good for being round house but I must admit not got hang of it so not used it that much

SoupDragon Mon 15-Sep-08 17:34:44

It's something to do with all the weight of the baby being on their pelvis in a BabyBjorn type sling, Poppy. with wraps/pouches/etc the weight is better distributed for the baby.

poppy34 Mon 15-Sep-08 17:35:25

that makes sense.. have always been reluctant to use it for too long as thought any kind of excess weight /psoition bad diea -plus I usually end up actually holding her in it

TheProvincialLady Mon 15-Sep-08 17:36:06

A Baby Bjorn is only any good for a few weeks and you would be better off spending the same money on something that would last you longer, if you wanted to. The ergonomics issue is that the BB is not supposed to be very good for your baby's hips and back.

Lastyearsmodel Mon 15-Sep-08 17:36:26

Check out the Beco Butterfly www.naturalconnection.co.uk/beco-butterfly-p-72.html. I have one to replace my basic baby bjorn and wish I'd got it sooner. Similarly sporty to BB active but better ergonomics for baby and you. Lovely fabrics unless like me your DP enforces plain brown (but still nice). Sarah at NC also v helpful with trying and returning things. Can carry newborn to 45lbs, front and back carries.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Sep-08 17:37:38

I used a Coorie (a fleece pouch) for DD right from the start - it's very similar to the Baba sling. I still use it (or similar) now she's 2.5 actually!

foxytocin Mon 15-Sep-08 17:37:46

agree with needing at least one type of each sling. wink

The babybjorn and tomy carrier to name 2 let the babies dangle by their crotch which means their upper body weight is on their pelvic floor muscles.

A baby's back also has a different spine curvature than that of a walking child or adult. BB and Tomy carriers puts stresses on the spine in places at points where there should not be any stress. It may never affect your baby but then why pay that kind of money for something so poorly designed.

Lastyearsmodel Mon 15-Sep-08 17:38:36

PS ergonomics re: baby - front pouch bit is wider so they sit on their bottoms and legs rather than hanging by crotch as in BB.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Sep-08 17:40:35

I far prefer a sling where the baby is lying down more when they're small - I'm probably biased as I carried DD snuggled up in the pouch sling for so long, then she progressed to a hip carry in it . A pouch is a pretty good all round sling although for older babies, other slings perform better for long walks.

foxytocin Mon 15-Sep-08 17:44:25

my first sling was a pouch soupy and i still can remember dd sleeping in it while I went for my proper outing with her ~ first pub lunch.

I later made a pouch sling as a 'tester' and used it to walk around the shops with her on my hips. It was fabby. I have managed to lose it though. sad

SoupDragon Mon 15-Sep-08 18:03:39

I made my pouch sling because I did not believe it could possibly work. I loved it and even made an emergency one out of a sarong on holiday this year

We used to call it the Magic sling of Sleep when DD was little.

spendalittlelivealot Mon 15-Sep-08 18:17:14

thank you all for your replies, i note a lot of u suggest a pouch sling, but have a coorie in size s and m and both dont agree, my dd gets hot and bothered and it is hard to get her in and out. so a pouch really doesnt suit .
Im a novice to baby wearing and dont think a ring or wrap sling is something my hubby would wear

foxytocin Mon 15-Sep-08 18:26:33

Then I would go for a Soft Structured Carrier (SSC). Another good and reasonably priced on is the Patapum. Natural Connection, linked below and BigMamaSlings probably both carry it.

I am suggesting that one because it is plain which will appeal to your dh. It is not an Ergo which has questionable ethics.

TBH all the SSC you will find on those 2 sites should suit you and dh, size wise and they are easy to learn how to use.

spendalittlelivealot Mon 15-Sep-08 18:31:22

foxytocin, can u get SSC to fit a 7 weeker?

spendalittlelivealot Mon 15-Sep-08 18:31:24

foxytocin, can u get SSC to fit a 7 weeker?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now