Talk

Advanced search

Question on Phi and Teds...

(13 Posts)
itsazoohere Mon 15-Sep-08 13:22:17

I'm sure this has been done before, but my eyes have gone funny searching ALL the Phil and Ted threads....does anyone know when I can start using the doubles kit? My ds is 18 weeks old, and HATES the newborn bit when awake. I end up carrying him (which is rather dangerous, as well as an annoying waste of money spent on the buggy). He's totally average weight and hieght(50th centile in the red book)-which bit would I put him in? Would it damage his back muscles to sit up in it now?

annwoo Mon 15-Sep-08 13:27:32

I put dd in the doubles seat when she was 3.5 - 4 months old. She was able to support her head but I used the head hugger from my car seat for extra support. Hope this helps.

itsazoohere Mon 15-Sep-08 13:30:57

Annwoo, it does help! But out of interest, why the bottom bit? It looks like the top seat is SLIGHTLY more recling. I have the phil and teds fleece insert that may help, come to think of it.

midnightexpress Mon 15-Sep-08 13:37:54

Not sure what model you have itsazoohere, and do you only have one child? I have an e3 and ds2 hated it after the first couple of months too - I think it probably gets a bit claustrophobic in there. I ended up using a sling until he was old enough to go in the front bit (ds1 was still small enough to go in the back bit), with it unzipped but still buckled iyswim (so it reclined slightly but not completely flat and you could still use the back seat. But I can't remember how old he was - probably about 5 months I think. I guess the main thing is to make sure that his head is stable and that the straps are safe. I found that until he was a certain height the straps sort of brushed his ears and didn't really look very safe.

hazeyjane Mon 15-Sep-08 13:38:42

I did the same as annwoo, had to use the back bit as dd1 refused to get in back bit! I think just about everybodies lo's grow out of the bag before they are 6 months old.

annwoo Mon 15-Sep-08 13:40:02

I also used the top seat for her. Although some people have experienced the buggy tipping - I haven't. Experiment and see what works best for you and the kids and getting out of the door on time. smile

itsazoohere Mon 15-Sep-08 14:27:46

Midnightexpress-I have four grin! But only two are babies. Just experimented with them-confused dd3(18 months) by putting them in, and out, but never going anywhere.
I hadn't thought of having it buckled, but unzipped-it seems much safer. But don't older ones drag their feet on the floor if underneath?

midnightexpress Mon 15-Sep-08 14:42:18

Well mine were fine (ds1 is nearly three now) until a couple of weeks ago when he stood up in the back and the basket ripped, which is a complete PITA because it's all part of the main cover, and not separate and now it does drag along a bit. Anyhoo, ds1 now goes up front and ds2 (19 mo) is fine in the back - his legs still aren't long enough to push the basket down iyswim.

itsazoohere Mon 15-Sep-08 14:46:31

Got to do school run now, but thanks for all the advice. The zip on our basket broke, am planning on taking it to cobblers to be mended. Have baby on top, toddler underneath (sling on hand if it all goes wrong) so will have to see!

itsazoohere Mon 15-Sep-08 16:35:24

Grrrr, that didn't work! DD's feet dragged on the ground when going across a field. And worse,the seat of the doubles kit should rest on a bar, but sort of slips under it iyswim, so that her (rather chunky) legs are balanced on it. It was so uncomfortable that she woke up crying. Maybe I haven't got it fixed correctly, but I can't see how else it would go. Does anyone have any experience of this?

swampster Mon 15-Sep-08 16:40:08

When the zip on our basket broke, P&T sent us a new one though it was just out of its warranty period - fabby company!

I think we sat DS2 up in the back seat from about three months and also used a sling.

hazeyjane Mon 15-Sep-08 17:45:18

I find that most 'quirks' (ie bits of bad design) can be fixed with strong velcro (the stick and stick kind) we have used this to fix back seat onto bar, and repair the basket (mummys fault for carrying bag of catlitter in itblush)

itsazoohere Tue 16-Sep-08 15:36:27

Oohhh, velcro, I like it! I hadn't thought of that. I did want to to keep the buggy in as good condition as I possibly could with a view to selling it one day, but I'm resigned to the fact that we'll probably use it to death. It was second hand when we got it. But thanks for all the replies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now