Talk

Advanced search

Are any sofabeds really comfortable as sofas?

(10 Posts)
mrsbabookaloo Sun 14-Sep-08 21:04:30

We have a sofabed from Sofa Workshop which we have been using as our main (only) sofa for 2 years and we literally can't both sit on it any more as it's too saggy and it makes our backs hurt. It was 500 quid, which I know isn't very much for a sofa.

So...do you get what you pay for, and if we paid much more, would we get a better and comfier sofa, or is it the case that sofabeds just never make very comfy sofas because you're essentially sitting on the bed mattress and not proper sofa springs?

We can't really afford much more if we were to get another one, and will prob end up getting one from Ikea, but maybe we should just buy a good sofa and have an aerobed for guests.

My parents come and stay every few weeks so we need something reasonably comfy for them to sleep on.

Sorry for long post...I have read all the previous threads on sofabeds, but couldn't come to any conclusion...

TIA

mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Sep-08 11:19:53

bump.

I know it's a boring question, but...anybody?

lauraloola Mon 15-Sep-08 14:15:52

A lot of my friends who have sofa beds also have a normal 2 seater that they mainly sit on.

The air beds that are high and self inflate are comfy. Im not sure that they are cheap though.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 15-Sep-08 14:17:37

I have two sofas that we bought from Sofa Workshop, in 1999. They are the Previn model. One is a sofa and the other one is a sofa bed. Both are still going strong, and comfortable to sit on. I'm just buying new covers for them because after 9 years they have finally worn out! I'm also replacing the seat cushions as they have become a bit squashed/compressed now as well.

mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Sep-08 16:03:24

Thanks for those comments.

BIWI: a few people on prevous threads have said they were happy with Sofa Workshop sofabeds: maybe it's just us; do we sit funny?!

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 16:05:48

I have had a number of sofa beds from Ikea that are basically just normal sofas when folded up and perfectly comfortable to sit on. It's how comfortable they are to sleep on that is a bit dubious though!grin

mckenzie Mon 15-Sep-08 16:10:37

I had two sofas from Ikea in the early 90s, one a sofa bed and one just a sofa. They were both really comfortable to sit on and are still going strong now at my friend's house!

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 15-Sep-08 16:12:37

Perhaps you should post a photo of you sitting on your sofa mrsb, and then we can tell you if you're sitting funny!

mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Sep-08 16:16:37

Erm...no, I don't think I will!

Good that there's a general thumbs up for Ikea sofabeds. The comfy to sit on is slightly more important than the comfy to sleep on, as it will be sat on every day, but only slept on once every few weeks. (...I am such a hard-hearted cow who doesn't care about my aged parents' welfare!)

Milliways Mon 15-Sep-08 16:39:07

Our sofabed was VERY cheap (foam thing) and gave up years ago but we keep it for kids sleepovers. We inherited a futon, but the mattress was not great.

Recently tried out various sofabeds, and some cost almost `£1000 and still only have a thin mattress! We ended up getting a aerobed for guests, so at least it packs away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now