Talk

Advanced search

Anyone drive a Golf Plus? Come and talk to Puss about it!

(16 Posts)
PussinJimmyChoos Sun 14-Sep-08 20:15:20

After what seems like my 100th parking scrape with our mahoosive Ford Mondeo, DH has declared we need a more manageable car...we are thinking of a Golf Plus but are wondering how others have found it boot space wise? We have one DS and a Mac buggy so nowt major, but we do want no 2 at some point. We don't do major distances, just a pootle down to Plymouth now and then and we figured we could always hire a big car if we wanted extra space...

TIA smile

wilkos Sun 14-Sep-08 20:23:28

we hired one once when we went to visit dss. drove from edinburgh to aberdeen in it, dh said it was like sitting in the popemobile- ie very slow and very high up driving position

this one also smelt of sick. it was one memorable journey grin

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 14-Sep-08 20:27:53

High up is good as am only 5ft 2" but slow??? I thought Golf and slow would be a bit of an oxymoron!! ha ha!

wilkos Sun 14-Sep-08 20:32:43

aparently it needed a bit of welly to get going (bit like me really grin)

this was a hire car tho, so don't be too put off. have hired many cars when visiting dss and invariably they are knackered

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 14-Sep-08 20:39:29

Hmm....obv will have to do test drive etc..

Any thoughts on boot space?? Or perhaps that's where all the vomm was and so you didn't venture there?!! grin

littlelapin Sun 14-Sep-08 20:44:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 14-Sep-08 20:48:29

Ahh!!! I want a Toyota Rav4 but DH says nayy!!! Tis hard work being a short arse and driving...the Mondeo is mahoosive and I look a twat in it!!!! I can't even add volume to my head a la Joan Collins as its all squashed in with my hejab...a fat white condom whizzing down the M32....hmm

littlelapin Sun 14-Sep-08 21:01:51

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 14-Sep-08 21:09:33

Yes I have been fasting but had to stop on Friday as AF arrived (the bitch!!) but will start again when AF stops. The niqab is individual...some people interpret Islam to mean the full face covering, others just the hair. Speaking as a lip reading deaf person, I'd be buggered if all women went around with their mouths veiled so am not a fan grin

I'm more moderate and a trendy hejab wearer..<strokes Storksak lovingly>...if my hair aint on show, my acessories better be good! wink

mejon Sun 14-Sep-08 21:10:40

We recently got a Seat Altea which is the same as a Golf Plus but considerably cheaper! I'm a shorty too and initially found it a bit odd being so high up having only been used to driving a small Clio before but I'm fine in it now. There's loads of room in the back - good boot space and the rear seats fold down and can move forward.

MrsSnorty Sun 14-Sep-08 21:15:27

'normal' golfs (and skodas) have a lever for pumping the driver's seat up so you can see over the bonnet if you're on the short side. Have quite big boots too - should be enough space for a smallish family?

littlelapin Sun 14-Sep-08 21:17:54

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 14-Sep-08 22:16:03

Mejon - I mentioned the Seat Altea to DH and his face lit up with a oooh I'd forgotten about that one and then an impressed look at my Top Geary style knowledge...I 'fessed up and said it was from Mnet and he just smiled and I didn't get the usual comment about us all being mumsnutters....so wink

Lapin - we Muslim women know how to have fun wink Although I draw the line at shopping for rabbits (hah!!) in Anne Summers while hejabed up....doesn't look quite right really does it?? grin

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 14-Sep-08 22:17:13

Snorty - I have the Mondeo seat on maximum height as well and I'm practically sat on the steering wheel grin

lauraloola Mon 15-Sep-08 11:49:57

I dont think they are much bigger then a normal Golf. I had one for a few days with work.

We have a new Golf (company car) and easily fit dd's Mutsy pram, carrycot and various bags in the boot. There is a lot of space in the back of the car and you would easily fit 2 car seats in it. You could get a sportier model too - Keeps it fun and not just a family car wink

mejon Fri 19-Sep-08 11:21:32

Puss - I've just got back from a few days away so have only now seen your reply. I forgot to add that the Altea's front seat pumps up and down too and the steering wheel is height adjustable and 'in-and-out-able' too. In fact my driving position in it is much better than it ever was in the Clio where I was almost touching the steering wheel to be able to reach the foot controls. Now I have plenty of room between my ample stomach and the wheel which is much safer I believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now