Talk

Advanced search

ipod for 10 yr old girls please

(34 Posts)
triplets Sun 14-Sep-08 15:03:56

Hi, being the ancient mother of trips I know nothing about these new gadgets! My DD has asked for a pink or silver i-pod for Christmas, I havent got a clue and can`t afford a fortune. What is the diff between an i-pod and a mp3 player? Trying to get organized as DH poorly with cancer and might be in hospital in Nov

AbbaFan Sun 14-Sep-08 15:06:43

An ipod is an MP3 player.

It's like the Walkman's were cassette players.

I would probably get a 2nd hand one for her, as people are always upgrading their ipods, so will be loads of pink ipod nano's on ebay.

triplets Sun 14-Sep-08 15:10:37

thanks for the tip!

misdee Sun 14-Sep-08 15:13:25

ask her if she wansta nano (with screen) or shuffle (no screen) both come in different colours. the shuffles are a lot cheaper. (£35-50 i think) than the shuffles (£90+)

cheekysealion Sun 14-Sep-08 15:16:42

i would ask her first before you waste your money

my 11 year old is after an ipod nano.. i fear she would lose and ipod shuffle as it is smaller than my thumb!! and if you get her a nano it would save updating when she has filled it with her fav tunes!!!

have a look on argos website they have a good selection

cheekysealion Sun 14-Sep-08 15:18:29

the diff prices tend to be to do with how many songs it can hold

soremummy Sun 14-Sep-08 17:23:14

my dd is selling one like this
Its not the one that plays videos but it holds approx 1000 songs its in very good condition will email you photos if your interested cat me if you want

anniebear Sun 14-Sep-08 19:27:13

excuse me for butting in

But if Triplets doesnt want it, I will be very interested

DD wants one but I dont want to pay £100 as she is only 7!

cocolepew Sun 14-Sep-08 19:31:26

My DD is 10 and asked for one, but I think I'll get her a different mp3 player. There's some much cheaper. Sorry about your DH.

Trafficcone Sun 14-Sep-08 19:41:09

My younger 2 got cheap MP3 players and DS1 (13) got a Zen because it's a far better piece of kit than an iPod!! Personally I'm not a fan of Apple forcing iTunes on its customers and would rather go with an alternative like Zen.

triplets Mon 15-Sep-08 13:40:28

oh now I am confused!

soremummy Mon 15-Sep-08 13:42:06

Whats confusing for you triplets? MAybe we can help

triplets Mon 15-Sep-08 13:47:34

Hi..............well, whats a zen? And what sort is your daughters, I think Becca only really wants it for music.

soremummy Mon 15-Sep-08 14:03:44

A zen also plays music. The one my dd is selling is shown in the link that I gave in earlier post just click on here If you look at the picture of the pink one thats exactly the same one. hth. Will get dd to tell you more later if you need she is 15 will be home about 5.

nix66 Tue 16-Sep-08 11:22:58

Hi all,

Am a bit of a lurker but am a HUGE Apple fan, so I had to post... grin Triplets... I would (if you can afford it) go with an i-Pod.. your DD will thank you profusely I promise! I bet that all her friends have i-Pods and not other MP3 players as i-Pods are cool wink . There are many different MP3 players on the market and yes some have better synchronicity with PC's and have more features, but Apple have made iTunes so user friendly that my six year old DD can navigate her way around. She can look at all the different artists she likes and listen to small snippets of the songs, but is unable to purchase anything as she doesn't have the password! They come in lots of different colours and you can pick up refurbished ones from apple themselves or most electrical shops. The shuffles are ideal for first timers and although they aren't all singing and dancing with video screens they are affordable, easy to use and you can change the playlist in minutes. I have had 3 different types of i-Pod and have a Touch at the moment, and can honestly say I wouldn't part with it as it is reliable and very easy to use!

Good luck with the choosing! If you get really confused I suggest you go into Comet or Currys and ask one of their advisers to explain and show you the different kinds and how they work...

Hope this helps smile

anniebear Tue 16-Sep-08 12:44:45

good post Nix!

soremummy, would be really interested if Triplets isnt smile

soremummy Tue 16-Sep-08 15:09:50

ok anniebear just need to wait and see if triplets wants it first. will keep poping back lo unwell atm and like a limpet

anniebear Tue 16-Sep-08 19:59:06

Oh of course smile thats fine, I was expecting her to have first refusal

thanks

alibubbles Tue 16-Sep-08 20:52:02

Look here refurb the stock changes daily, so it is worth tracking it for a while. They don't come in fancy boxes, but they do have a years warranty. I buy a lot form here and never had a problem

triplets Tue 16-Sep-08 23:03:55

Soremummy....as I can`t make up my mind please let Anniebear have it, I can`t concentrate atm, poor dh on chemo and having a rotten time, thank you anyway. Alibubbles, sorry couldn`t get the link to work.

anniebear Wed 17-Sep-08 17:28:09

Triplets, when you have 2 mins to spare ..which sounds like you dont really have.... have a think about it, I would feel really bad if you decide wanted it

Im in no hurry, obviously cant speak for soremummy,

But please make sure you dont really want it

Hope things pick up for your Husband , sending you lots of hugs xxxx

soremummy Wed 17-Sep-08 17:42:21

Im in no hurry either its just sitting here lol im gonna have a count of how many ipods/iphone and ipod touches are in this house you will be surprised or horrified!

soremummy Wed 17-Sep-08 17:49:03

Dh has iphone, ipod touch, 30gb u2 one, new black nano

Ds iphone, Just sold his ipod touch, a rather scratched red nano.

Dd1 Pink new video nano, pink nano going to sell, orange shuffle

Dd2 20gb classic, red video nano, silver shuffle.

Dd3 too young thank god.

Me one older 1gb nano used oh maybe 3 times!

Why have they all got so many. Ps im not bragging just realised how many they have between them I blame my dh hmm he has the most.

anniebear Wed 17-Sep-08 19:59:55

Oh good grief!!!!! grin grin

will wait and see for now if Triplets wants it or not smile

alibubbles Wed 17-Sep-08 20:11:53

TRy again apple refurb

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now