Talk

Advanced search

Fiat MULTIPLA - are they any good? what should I look out for?

(15 Posts)
oysterpots Sun 14-Sep-08 14:46:14

We're vaguely toying with the idea of buying a new car (after we had to bail water out of the footwell last week blush) and I really like the Fiat Multipla, partly because they are so hideously ugly - colleague of DH's described them as looking like a hernia.

Anyway, we'd want a diesel one, and could afford to spend between £2-3k. Do any mumsnetters own one? What should we look out for? Are they much cop? Thanks

Klaw Sun 14-Sep-08 14:53:02

They are great to drive in, apparently, but have dreadful reputations for things going wrong with electrics etc. AFAIA, that is. wink

I'd LOVE one cos they're so funky!

AbbaFan Sun 14-Sep-08 15:01:03

We have one grin

I was very reluctant, due to the 'ugly' nature of them, but DH convinced me and he thinks it is the best car he has ever had. He wants to upgrade to a newer model soon.

We mainly wanted it because of the space, as we go camping lots in the summer. It is so vetsatile and roomy. You can take out individual seats or just fold some down.

Tip runs are a doddle.

Plus you NEVER get car sick in them, due to the big windows. I can read in the car for hours now without feeling ill!

misdee Sun 14-Sep-08 15:02:14

i want one grin

they are fugly, but so so cool lol.

wordgirl Sun 14-Sep-08 15:29:52

We had one as a hire car in France. It was awful. The boot was ridiculously small for the size of car. And the seat in the middle in the front was just annoying really.

QueenBhannae Sun 14-Sep-08 15:34:59

We have two atm!!
One is a gawd awful kermit green met elx and the other is silver met elx with body coloured bumpers (bcb offsets the fugliness somewhat lol)

It is supremely easy to drive once you get used to the handbrake being on the wrong side and the gears being in front. I learned to drive in the multipla as it has fantastic visibility and the mirrors are in two parts which allows you to angle one for the kerb.

I would and do reccommend them to everyone.
The looks are what make it special imo which is why when we bought the last one we went pre 2004 rather than the corporate hideousness that is the new bland front end.

The seat configuration is SUPERB. I can fit my large buggy in the back without folding it down with all the seats up! Plus a weeks shoppingand another smaller buggy and baby paraphenalia.

Mine has been in the garage once to have te front springs replaced which was a recall situation rather than it having broken. Another thing to look out for is the brake system. One of ours (kermit) has a drum brake and the silver lady has a disc brake (better and sharper)
Check the seats all fold up and flat to ensure the cables are intact. Check the clutch going into reverse and 1st. If its a bit dicky then you may need a new cylinder slave thingy. Also the side mirrors and ALL electrics are worth taking the time to go through properly imo.
Check also the sunroof seals and that all the bits such as headrests and parcel shelf are there.

If you need any more info CAT me smile

My dh wants to keep the multipla as he thinks they will become classics. He is an avid classics collector/ restorer so I will go with that hunch lol. My point being that if you get one cheap enough then you may not lose money in the long run as you would with a more common car iykwim.

Colour wise, I love the chocolate (rare) and the deep purple with red interior.

We also have a high top doblo which is our workhorse. These are relly spacious inside but sooooo much uglier than the multipla. I can fit a silvercross balmoral in the boot of the doblo without dismantling it!

Oh and if you get one dont be alarmed by other multipla drivers waving at you! I was alarmed at first but it must be the norm as the few I see round here always do it pmsl.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 14-Sep-08 15:59:22

We had one way back in 2000. Served us well - only thing that went wrong was the starter motor stopped disengaging properly, so it was a bit noisy at start up for a few secs, but didn't stop it from working just fine.

Millarkie Sun 14-Sep-08 16:26:09

I've got one and I love it. Very easy to drive.
I've haven't had any problems with the electrics.
We generally fold down the front middle seat and use it to put stuff on but it comes in handy when we want to give people lifts.
I would like a little more boot space (we are thinking about a doblo) but that is because I want space for dog and shopping .

AbbaFan Sun 14-Sep-08 17:12:43

QB - My DH gets the waving alot too LOL

Klaw Sun 14-Sep-08 17:17:26

oh yes, if I get one it HAS to be one with eyes, the newer ones have less soul now that they've removed the high lights, doncha think?

oysterpots Tue 16-Sep-08 20:27:12

Wow, some great tips there and majority of responses resoundingly positive. Thanks all.

And you're absolutely right, Queen and Klaw - they're just not the same without the eyes wink

lulumama Tue 16-Sep-08 20:29:02

had this very conversation with DH yesterday, i think they look so bad they are good.. would love one for quirkiness

Klaw Wed 17-Sep-08 10:26:48

Well Dp and I know that I need to have an Alfa Romeo before I die (he's had one) DESPITE their problems because of the driving experience. Top Gear say they are pants cars technically, on paper etc but each presenter has one or has owned one and loves them anyway.

I think Multiplas are like that. Mechanic dp spoke to yesterday while getting MOT seems to agree.

If you like driving then you will put up with a car with soul even if it has bad points.

Currently I have a boring Astra, which is a mess but it goes and is reliable. Still don't like it.....

Marne Wed 17-Sep-08 10:30:48

Fix
It
Again
Tommorrow

grin

wontbepreggersagain Wed 17-Sep-08 10:31:41

oooh- i'm trying to buy one of these atm- they are like the holy grail around here grin fugly but cute in a weird way- we already own two of the ten most ugly cars (according to the guardian) so an other one will fit in just fine! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now